D40x or D70s

Status
Not open for further replies.
if im not wrong u cannot change ur ISO, WB, shutter straight on the d40, you'll have to go thru a few layers of menu. if im nt wrong... and no bracketing...

Maybe you can be more specific, as to which control feature that is lacking on the D40x, which the D70 has? I couldn't find anything between these two besides the internal AF motor. Thanks.

Compare these 2 camera's photos :
D40X
D_D40X_05.jpg

D_D40X_14.jpg

vs
D70
D_D70_06.jpg

D_D70_04.jpg

The Control panel LCD is not there in D40, thus you have to keep peering at the rear Monitor LCD to confirm your settings. There is only 1 command dial on the grip, as such, you can change both shutter speed and aperture instantly like in a D70 (which has both dials, one in front and one rear). The bracketing function is also inside the menu for the D40 unlike the one on D70.

It's more on the ease of use if you need to access certain functions.

IMHO if one just want to take better picture and look more PRO rather than holding a PNS camera and only want to buy a small DSLR, dont want heavy weight, not willing to spend $$ to keep/learn a hobbies and not printing any photo from lab, just looking at LCD ..... Than you just buy a small cam D40.

The better cam have easy reach button which is very important when shooting.
Why not buy 2nd hand and start to learn if you buy a new set and then wanted an upgrate you will spend even more. Just my view...

Hi
I went back into the shop today and i looked again at the D80 and D40. The D40 with a view of buying the D40X. The D80 felt heavy and as i have small hands the grip on my right hand felt as if it was extended. I then handled the D40 and it felt very good . So i then thought it may not have the features of the 80 but it was a nice comfortable camera to hold. So i opted for a D40X which will come in next week
I am an Englishman living in Belgium and they will not sell the D40X body only in Belgium only with the Lens supplied with the Camera. I do not own any other Lens so i can upgrade a bit later when i get to know a bit more about Photography
Thanks Guys for all the help
Dreadlock

they will not sell the D40X body only in Belgium only with the Lens supplied with the Camera. I do not own any other Lens so i can upgrade a bit later when i get to know a bit more about Photography

I thought the kit lens for the camera is well sought after, but I could be wrong.
I'd get the kit lens if I havent got any lens to begin with :think:

Hi
I went back into the shop today and i looked again at the D80 and D40. The D40 with a view of buying the D40X. The D80 felt heavy and as i have small hands the grip on my right hand felt as if it was extended. I then handled the D40 and it felt very good . So i then thought it may not have the features of the 80 but it was a nice comfortable camera to hold. So i opted for a D40X which will come in next week
I am an Englishman living in Belgium and they will not sell the D40X body only in Belgium only with the Lens supplied with the Camera. I do not own any other Lens so i can upgrade a bit later when i get to know a bit more about Photography
Thanks Guys for all the help
Dreadlock

like u, i considered D40x but since money was a crucial factor for me, i compared with the D70s. i really love the d40's size and egronomics, it juz seems so much smoother and nicer as compared the the bulky everything else.
but i went for the D70s over the D40(x) in the end, and wud prefer the D80 if i had the money, reasons being:

1. if i have to go thru my lcd to change my settings i think id juz not change em at all.. and prob juz shoot in P or auto.

2. AF-S/I lens are so much more expensive!

and lastly, i think in the long long long run the D80 wud last u much longer. i guess it'd only be a matter of time before u upgrade from ur D40x. i say go for the D80, its a pretty obvious choice if u ask me...

Status
Not open for further replies.