Custom White Balance suggestion

Learn how to use WB number...is more creative....

Thanks for the posts!
But where do a find a simple/cheap light grey card?

I use anything white that's available in the location :)
eg:
before costum WB
227323_1833153202170_1640610115_1806033_2266242_n.jpg

after i take a pic of the white plate(yup the one on the table) and set the custom WB with it
227578_1833159562329_1640610115_1806057_7154034_n.jpg

in open sun my AWB never let me down so far :)

Bro I just tried with a white plate picture turned out green... I have no idea whats wrong with my WB man. I know we have to use a picture of the gray card to set custom white balance but which white balance setting do we use to take the picture of the gray card to begin with? Maybe I screw that part up. I was using AWB to take the pic of the white plate.

Ya I will go read up about the kelvins scale now. Thanks!

Reset your camera to original setting...properly you have set something different which affects the AWB...is general most DSLR can correct WB quite well...

Bro I just tried with a white plate picture turned out green... I have no idea whats wrong with my WB man. I know we have to use a picture of the gray card to set custom white balance but which white balance setting do we use to take the picture of the gray card to begin with? Maybe I screw that part up. I was using AWB to take the pic of the white plate
Green hints to a problem with fluorescent light. Please read up, there is sticky thread somehwere.
For white plates just use flash with Auto WB, pick up the reflection in the plates with the tool of Lightroom, that's it. From there, look at the skin colour and adjust green / pink tint.

So for outdoor shoot can just forget about the gray card thingy except for indoor? Because I always get a "too warm" feeling with my AWB in the sun so got myself a cheap gray card and realised that it caused very different colour temp depending on where I face my gray card. I took part in a alot of overseas competition and there are cameras around for live broadcast and there will be this person holding a light gray card for all the camera to calibrate too. He was pointing it upwards towards the sun so I believe shooting in the sun needs WB calibration as well.
Of course it does, but most DSLR cameras will do well already with the built in algorithms and settings. But professional setups might require a bit more work that we don't see here. Pointing to the sun just means he wants to have reflected sunlight. If he held the cards vertically he might get already reflections from the green, which would throw off the white reference.

Thanks for the posts!
But where do a find a simple/cheap light grey card?
Check the usual shops, I saw a set also on Amazon (white card and grey card together).

Right so we have to face the gray card to the direction of the light source? If I were to take a pic in the sun I have to face the card up towards the sun instead of straight and if I am in a room with light I have to face the card up to the light? I think I get the idea. Thanks!

Of course it does, but most DSLR cameras will do well already with the built in algorithms and settings. But professional setups might require a bit more work that we don't see here. Pointing to the sun just means he wants to have reflected sunlight. If he held the cards vertically he might get already reflections from the green, which would throw off the white reference.
of course, the sun and moon at oversea are much rounder than here.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Right so we have to face the gray card to the direction of the light source? If I were to take a pic in the sun I have to face the card up towards the sun instead of straight and if I am in a room with light I have to face the card up to the light? I think I get the idea. Thanks!
you are "zero in" the white balance of the same light source cast on your subject.

I thought WB can be easily PP using CS5 or any software.