Curious Response from Minister of State, Finance in today's Parliament

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

I had a tickled time listening to the news just moments earlier.

Basically, the issue is on what is the amount that a person may spend on funeral expenses and which would be exempt from estate duty.

Mr Chiam See Tong was arguing that the limit of S$6,000 is too low and that the "dead should be allowed to lavish on themselves for the last time" and most of the time they are using their own money, drawing chuckles from Parliament.

The curious bit was that the reporter describe the Minister of State, Finance's response as having her own humour as well.

The minister said that they conducted a survey, and found that a no frills funeral, which basically has a simple casket and some essentials, cost S$1k to S$6k. an intermediate one is casket with embalming and some rites, cost from 6k to 7k. elaborate one is upwards of 7k, with elaborate casket with embalming and elaborate rites.

she then went on to say that to spend too much on funeral rites is "a dead loss".

so basically thats' her rebuttal of Mr Chiam's request that the amt be increased...and that basically to spend on funeral rites is a waste of money.
i guess the dead should pay duties to the govt even in death rather than spend on what could be the last act for themselves.

aiyoh... like that then how... aiyoh... increase this and that... no benefit for us in either way la.... aiyoh.. start giving out Singapore shares better la... this time double it la....

sometimes, i wonder if they are treating its citizens as humans or just 'resources'.

MMmmmmm..Monee where got wasted ?? Not as if burining the REAL money.. The money still earned by those businessman making coffin, paper house etc etc..only what.. It just like a buying food for makan and we are not eating the "Real mony" itself.. :think:

fuzzy said:
sometimes, i wonder if they are treating its citizens as humans or just 'resources'.

Singapore Citizen are Singapore most valuable resources, an important asset to the nation.

Because Singapore has no natural resources, it will have to rely on its citizens.

not only has singapore's population growth rate changed in the last few decades, the age profile of its population has also changed.. By 2030, it is estimatied that 62% of SIngapore's senior citizens aged 65-74 years will have at least a secondary education, compared with only 11% in 1995. these senior citizens will also be healthier as they would most likely have taken steps to keep themselves fit. they would want to lead a active and fulfilling life.

An ageing population will have a significant impact on a country's resources. there will be a demand in health care and social services,and of course the strain on working people..

The government's revenue is partly obtained from taxes collected from people, as fewer babies are born, there will be fewer pple paying the taxes, thus as the population ages, each working person may have to pay more tax to help provide services and facilities required by senior citizens.

According to Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong

"It would be a disaster if companies and young workers have to be taxed heavily to support the large number of senior citizens in Singapore"

therefore.. in short to say, IF the population is ageing, the government will need to find new ways to ask for funds from its citizens.

when prices shoot up, it means the country is developing and the living standard if rising. therefore a vicious cycle will thus happen when the rich get richer and the poor getting poorer....

well... thats my point of view as a citizen of Singapore... :dunno:

vince123123 said:
I had a tickled time listening to the news just moments earlier.

Basically, the issue is on what is the amount that a person may spend on funeral expenses and which would be exempt from estate duty... ...

Ehhh... I haven't die yet, so don't really know about the rules & regulations after dying.

Care to explain more about the background of the $ & why should be increased & what tax & etc?

today's ST's Home 8 has coverage of this exchange in parliament.

Status
Not open for further replies.