Cropping

Status
Not open for further replies.

snappynappy

Oct 2, 2005
Hi, I am trying to crop away unnecessary space in my pictures using Photoshop. I have selected width 6" height 4" with resolution 300 pixels/inch. After cropping, the photo becomes smaller on my screen (I have to zoom in to make it bigger) and so is the file size (from 6mb to 1mb).

Am I doing it correctly and is this normal? How do I retain the original size in Photoshop? Thanks guys.

leave the resolution part blank, cos what you're doing now is telling Photoshop you want a 6x4in canvas with 300dpi, which is a fixed 1800x1200 no matter how you crop..

There are plenty of online tutorials for Photoshop. In additoon, here in the forum you can find shops and people selling PS books. Get one and learn from there. Also, be careful with what you are doing, always keep the original files save in case something went wrong and you need to start again.

Hi, I am trying to crop away unnecessary space in my pictures using Photoshop. I have selected width 6" height 4" with resolution 300 pixels/inch. After cropping, the photo becomes smaller on my screen (I have to zoom in to make it bigger) and so is the file size (from 6mb to 1mb).

Am I doing it correctly and is this normal? How do I retain the original size in Photoshop? Thanks guys.

DO NOT save under original file name or else it will be permanantly stay a 300pixel long image ...

anyway..... what you ACTUALLY DID sounds like re-size that is done in Image Size

what you described you want to do.... sounds like crop..... go over the icons on the left-side vertical tool bar and roll-over to the crop icon and click on it..... then crop accordingly and hit Enter to effect the crop...... save under a different file name to preserve the original

good luck

Last edited:
Hi...any recommended books for photoshop?
am looking for a book to learn photoshop as well..

Thanks..

Look in NLB library, for Scott Kelby Photoshop books..
Easy for beginners to understand..

Status
Not open for further replies.