Crashing price of EOS 20D

Status
Not open for further replies.

USM

Apr 25, 2002
Visit site
This is the most vicious cycle of digital cameras I ever see.

It has becoming like stock market in similar manner - knee jerk reaction. The market will only stablise once all the 20D have been removed from the stores / retailers, else you will see more price war in the near future.

Since the 4 quarter of last year, I was the first person who has predicted the launch of the replacement model of EOS 20D. At that point of time, many people did not believe it until the beginning of this year where some leaked photos of EOS 30D were circulating in the internet. That has resulted in many people starting to believe.

Canon has once again surprised the market by pricing the EOS 30D at $2,499, way below the initial launched price of EOS 20D.

It's a known fact that cameras are cheaper in overseas like US, Japan and HK. As a result, many retailers in those countries are clearing their 20D stocks fast in order to make way for 30D. Can you imagine that the price of 30D is already lower than 20D at initial stage, so how are they going to clear stocks? Many retailers are trying to clear stocks for lower margin.

Someone has just posted that a brand new grey set 30D costs $1,950 which is possible. Brand new 20D in overseas are down to $1,500 now. I predict that it will continue to fall until all stocks are being cleared.

Oh my god, for those who wanted to sell 20D because of upgrading or whatever reasons have to take a heart pain by selling at <$1,500 now. This is most happening thing I ever see in digital market.

To be continue..........................

Regards

Market Analyst

Seems that 30D will be retailed at S$2k soon. Like this a used 20D is only worth 1.3k. This has to happen coz maybe a 10MP FF is on the way soon!

i don't know, but Canon definitely has to debut the 30D at a much lower price point than 20D, owners of 20D like myself absolutely see no incentive in upgrading to it as much of it is virtually identical. They may as well call it 20D mk ii.

Imagine if the 30D was debuted at 2.8k, the inital price that the 20D was pegged at. I don't think anyone here will be praising the 30D that much already.

Agree with you. Electronics have very short life span. Circuitries do fail and sometimes repairing them requires shops to source for obsolete chips which makes it beyond economical. Electronics giants like to shrug off competition by investing in new technologies. They care if their new introduction causes previous products obsolete as long as number those still holding on to warranties to their product fall beyond a acceptable level.

Digital SLRs in particular are like cars, it's a investment lost since the first day you bought it. Electronics can never be an object of vintage unless it's for historical collection.

Saying that, I think it's time Nikon come up with a between D200 and D70s DSLR and one more Pro DSLR to compete with 5D.

30D is retailing at about $2700 as a package.

There are two sets in the canon booth if you would like to try it out.

I actually anticipated the replacement model the same way you did. But I know the prediction would not go well with many.

In some sense it is kind of like stock market. But the only way for prices of cam bodies to go is down. Stabilise maybe, but any movement has to be down. It's about when the dip happens.

As mentioned, 30D cannot be priced like 20D because there are no significant upgrades. Another reason is the most commonly compared camera from competition has significantly greater number of features. Head-on competition is suicidal, it has to create another market segment by price differentiation.

I don't think 30D will drop all that much here. 350D RRP of $1899 merely dropped by $1799. A drop in RRP of 30D will mean 350D gotta drop as well. Shops seems to hold the RRP pretty well. Unless we're talking about grey. But this is Singapore. A lot of people are very willing (and seemingly able) to pay for warranty.

it's like this,i just enjoy with whatever i have and hope it doesn't die on me.
Even if it does,i will go look for 2nd hand body cheap cheap.:)

Dun just look at the retail price alone, also think about the free gifts given. In the IT Show Canon stated $2,669 WITH 2 x CF Cards. Selling the cards at market price now will bring you about $180/-. So total you pay : $2,669 - $180 = $2,489/-.

DSLR price will drop slightly after the item is not so 'hot', let's say about 1 mth later it'll cost about $2.4k or less. Imagine street price and grey sets. Very likely it'll fall to less than $2k by this year.:think:

to threadstarter, is it ever possible brand new 20D can go LOWER than a new D70s, or even D50

I just receive word that a 3D is coming out this year so to those who can wait............wait for 30D to fall even more. By the way, the 3D price will be higher than 5D.....

I forsee more new models coming out in the years to come.

i think i just caught a bid at 1.3k for a used 20D set in BnS..

err i am sure everyone knows that 30D body only can be bought S$2220 with the current promo same as the IT show.... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.