Could these Nikkor Lenses be used in DSLR?

Denniswong

Nov 5, 2011
Hi,

I've got these 2 old lenses from a friend.
Wondering if they could be used for the Nikon DSLRs?

1. Zoom Nikkor F AF-D 75-240mm f/4.5 - f/5.6D
2. Zoom Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.5 - f/5.6D

Thanks!:)
Dennis

Hi,

I've got these 2 old lenses from a friend.
Wondering if they could be used for the Nikon DSLRs?

1. Zoom Nikkor F AF-D 75-240mm f/4.5 - f/5.6D
2. Zoom Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.5 - f/5.6D

Thanks!:)
Dennis

Firstly, I've to know what's your DSLR model to tell you the appropriate answer...!!:)

Secondly, is those models with built-in motor will then be able to AF using your above mentioned two AF-D-Nikkor lenses...!!;)

I've not bought my DSLR yet. Looking at the D7k.
I'm a newbie to DSLR, so I'm not sure if there's any built in motors in the lenses.

Denniswong said:
I'm a newbie to DSLR, so I'm not sure if there's any built in motors in the lenses.

Both lenses do not have built in motor. They will work fine on a D7000

Since you're looking at D7k, D90/80, YES, can :bigeyes:AF with AF-D lenses ..., but:nono:not with D5000, D3000, D5100 & D3100...as you'll :bigeyes:need AF-S lenses to be able to AF...!!:cool:

Since you're looking at D7k, D90/80, YES, can :bigeyes:AF with AF-D lenses ..., but:nono:not with D5000, D3000, D5100 & D3100...as you'll :bigeyes:need AF-S lenses to be able to AF...!!:cool:

Just to add on, the D in AF-D only means that the lens is able to provide distance information to the body to allow for better metering. There are also lenses with AF and not the D, which do not have built in motor. AF-S and AF-I has built in motor in them.

Just to add on, the D in AF-D only means that the lens is able to provide distance information to the body to allow for better metering. There are also lenses with AF and not the D, which do not have built in motor. AF-S and AF-I has built in motor in them.

Well, yes, should have elaborate more in details then:embrass:...(...cos was:think:thinking that TS mentioned only just that two-D-lenses.....)

Btw, thks for further elaborate/add-on...bro!!;)

Well, yes, should have elaborate more in details then:embrass:...(...cos was:think:thinking that TS mentioned only just that two-D-lenses.....)

Btw, thks for further elaborate/add-on...bro!!;)

No problem bro:)

Thanks for all the great info.

So my lenses got no motor in them?
Does this mean that there's no auto-focus capability? Cos the motor is used to focus the lens, right?

Thanks.

Denniswong said:
Thanks for all the great info.

So my lenses got no motor in them?
Does this mean that there's no auto-focus capability? Cos the motor is used to focus the lens, right?

Thanks.

The lenses have autofocus ability, just need a camera body with a motor to drive the AF

Thanks, spree86.

So, the cam's motor will drive these lenses.

What about those lenses with built-in motors? Do the cams let the lenses' motors drive the lenses?

Now, the question:

Which is faster to drive lens?
The body's motor or the motor in the lens?

Just curious.

And can we specify which motor to use?

Thanks. :)

Denniswong said:
Thanks, spree86.

What about those lenses with built-in motors? Do the cams let the lenses' motors drive the lenses?

Now, the question:

Just curious.

For lenses with motor, the motor will drive the lens and nope, you cannot select which motor to use. As for which one is faster, it depends on the lens, some lenses focus faster than others.

Erm.. How do we know which Len is compatible with which cam? Like d7k can use what lens?

Len i dont knows if Lens or Lenses that i know, that aside, as long its in nikon mount or F mount, any other brands can be mounted on the D7k. if u referring to only Nikon lenses from the old manual lens to the latest AFS lens is compatible,

Len i dont knows if Lens or Lenses that i know, that aside, as long its in nikon mount or F mount, any other brands can be mounted on the D7k. if u referring to only Nikon lenses from the old manual lens to the latest AFS lens is compatible,

All except the very old non-Ai lenses that have not been converted. D7000 can use Ai, AiS, AF, AiP, AFi, AFD, AFS lenses. Everything except very old non-Ai lenses. Ai-converted, Ai, AiS, AiP all no AF. All AF lenses (AF, AFD, AFS, not sure about AFi though) can AF with D7000. Not so sure about D7k though, must wait till D4, D5, D6, then D7, then D7s, then maybe got D7k. Maybe 10 more years?

All except the very old non-Ai lenses that have not been converted. D7000 can use Ai, AiS, AF, AiP, AFi, AFD, AFS lenses. Everything except very old non-Ai lenses. Ai-converted, Ai, AiS, AiP all no AF. All AF lenses (AF, AFD, AFS, not sure about AFi though) can AF with D7000. Not so sure about D7k though, must wait till D4, D5, D6, then D7, then D7s, then maybe got D7k. Maybe 10 more years?

hahahaha, thanks for making it more clearer, espcially on the D7k oops D7000.... hahhahahaa..... think AF-I can still use......

you cannot specify which motor to use.
got motor in lens will not have the connection to cam motor..
lens motor got different speed, the more ex the lens, the faster the built in motor..
so af-d might focus faster than a low end afs lens...
do read up more should the above information is not as detailed..

Thanks, spree86.

Now, the question:

Just curious.

Just to add, the 2 lenses you mentioned are kit lenses for SLR models about a decade ago. If you are planning to get new D7000 with kit lens, you would probably find your new kit lens to be better. If just getting body, they would suffice for a while, but note that you wouldn't be having a true wide angle if using just those 2 lenses.

Just to add, the 2 lenses you mentioned are kit lenses for SLR models about a decade ago. If you are planning to get new D7000 with kit lens, you would probably find your new kit lens to be better. If just getting body, they would suffice for a while, but note that you wouldn't be having a true wide angle if using just those 2 lenses.

TS should buy a kit lens - esp the 18-105. Good performance and good value for money.