cost of developing & scanning 120mm color film?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordecai

Feb 26, 2007
overherd.net
hi there...I just got a Holga today and I spent $5 on developing a roll of color film and 80 cents a picturefor scanning it. I live in the West and I got this price from a photo lab just across the road from where I live.

I was wondering if there's a cheaper way to go about this, besides using 35mm film? I didn't ask the lady at the lab but I'm guessing prints would cost more?

I'm trying to find the cheapest way to do this. I love the pictures that I got today and I'd like to be able to keep at it!

Foto Station in Marine Parade charges $10 to scan a whole roll, 120 or 135 rolls. Try doing inkjet prints to save on printing costs. You can also consider investing in a scanner to do your own scans. Something like an Epson V700 will set you back about $700-$800 but may be economical on the long run.

go to Miao Laan in Bukit Batok St 11.

good and cheap. :) processing is only $3. i always go there

go to Miao Laan in Bukit Batok St 11.

good and cheap. :) processing is only $3. i always go there

Miao Laan has indeed cheap 120 processing. But scanning is a different story. Its $1 per photo. Printing would be the much cheaper option at 50cents a piece. Unfortunately with Holga, some shots would definately not be worth printing. So i too am looking for somewhere that scans 120 film cheaply. Really hope someone could tell us where scanning is cheap. Possibly less than $5 a roll.

I used to go to AV Colour Lab in Hougang to get my 120 film scanned, but they've brought a new machine in now, and due to the low demand for 120 film, they didn't purchase a 120 film adapter for the new machine.... Apparently, each adapter costs something like S$30-40k, so if there's just like 1 customer a month, it'll hardly be economical at all.....

As such, I don't think you can get 120 film scanned cheaply. Not that I know of at least. As Terence mentioned, getting your own scanner might be the best option. I say go for the Nikon Coolscan 9000ED.... :bsmilie:

getting a scanner would be outta the question coz it's much too expensive for me right now. so would getting prints be cheaper instead?
develop, get prints and scan them using a normal flatbed scanner?

decently priced flatbeds...can get ard $200++
really would be better on the long run...

but if really tight..then yah...print then scan on a normal flatbed / A-I-O printer lor...since 120 film only got 12 shots...not so shiong.

but if really tight..then yah...print then scan on a normal flatbed / A-I-O printer lor...since 120 film only got 12 shots...not so shiong.
but to compare a flatbed scanner and a film scanner, film scanner will be much shaper,clearer and colour is exactly the same. correct me if i'm wrong!:bsmilie:
i'm also thinking of getting a scanner that can do flatbed and film scanning. are there any recommendtion?

wait a minute. you can get a scanner for about $200? to scan medium format film?

i bought a Canon 8600F for ard $280...there's a model even cheaper, canon 4400?

mine can scan up to 6 x 22mm Medium format sizes...

all my 6 x 12 pinhole shots were scanned with it.

of course i assume dedicated film scanners would be better lah...but too expensive lah.

say $10 - $12 per roll of 120mm film scanning
30 Rolls of 120mm scanning..u will break even ur scanner liao :bsmilie:
(thats how i justified buying my scanner hahaha)

Canon 4400F: http://site-sg.canon-asia.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=scanner&prod_type=canoscan4400f
(dont think this model can scan 120mm film)

Canon 8600F: http://site-sg.canon-asia.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=scanner&prod_type=canoscan8600f

if u ask me why i never buy Epson (which i did consider), its the price factor.

i bought a Canon 8600F for ard $280...there's a model even cheaper, canon 4400?

mine can scan up to 6 x 22mm Medium format sizes...

all my 6 x 12 pinhole shots were scanned with it.

of course i assume dedicated film scanners would be better lah...but too expensive lah.

say $10 - $12 per roll of 120mm film scanning
30 Rolls of 120mm scanning..u will break even ur scanner liao :bsmilie:
(thats how i justified buying my scanner hahaha)
wah! i like this last part of you phase.:bsmilie:

you study account is it?;)

wowee! this is brilliant! 280 bucks is definitely affordable! so where do I get this beauty?

no lah...

my maths fail lor :bsmilie:
is it better to get those auto photo fix scanner?

heard from a friend of mine that it will fix the colour. is it true?

Miao Laan has indeed cheap 120 processing. But scanning is a different story. Its $1 per photo. Printing would be the much cheaper option at 50cents a piece. Unfortunately with Holga, some shots would definately not be worth printing. So i too am looking for somewhere that scans 120 film cheaply. Really hope someone could tell us where scanning is cheap. Possibly less than $5 a roll.

well, that's true, but what you can do is that you tell him to develop only, later on then you decide which ones you wanna print. although when you cross-process its quite difficult to view... but oh well, my gf prints from her holga all the time... each roll is about $9 with processing only ma :)

wowee! this is brilliant! 280 bucks is definitely affordable! so where do I get this beauty?

u can find it at sim lim sq :)

edesign @ what do u mean by autofix scanner? if u mean colour correction....the s/w that comes with the scanner can do it as well. of course alot of ppl would recommend the other more pro s/w to do scanning.

I read somewhere that there are some focussing issues with the 8600f, so that the scans are not sharp. Did you experience this? People on photo.net seems to favour the Epson 4490, which cost more.

Which shop in Sim Lim Square? I recall being quoted $300+. I have been thinking about the 8600f, but a little worried about the time needed to scan all my film and transparencies shot over the years.

I read somewhere that there are some focussing issues with the 8600f, so that the scans are not sharp. Did you experience this? People on photo.net seems to favour the Epson 4490, which cost more.

Which shop in Sim Lim Square? I recall being quoted $300+. I have been thinking about the 8600f, but a little worried about the time needed to scan all my film and transparencies shot over the years.

I also did favour the Epson 4490, but the price puts me off. And based on specs, they are almost the same.

In terms of sharpness, i dont seem to face such problems. Most scanned pics seem fine, then again, i shoot alot of 'alternative' stuff..so they might not be sharp to begin with :bsmilie: so do take my comments with a pinch of salt...im not a pro in scanner / photography hor hahaa!

I bought mine at one of the shops beside the lift @ the 4th floor. The shops at the row all seem to have it.
Well i think whether u buy epson or canon, it will still take a lonngggggg time to scan all ur film and transparencies. Esp if u scan them at hi-res. :p

I believe a few other guys here also use the Canon 8600F....speak up guys!! ;)

Well i think whether u buy epson or canon, it will still take a lonngggggg time to scan all ur film and transparencies. Esp if u scan them at hi-res. :p

Things is that many of my old photos are of my kids when they were young. Really brings back memories of when they were still *cute & obedient* ;p. Mainly 35mm, some MF. Major worry that they will turn mouldy and I will lose them forever...:cry:

Any idea if there are faster ways of archiving at a reasonable cost and effort? If it is too expensive, cannot afford the money. If it takes too long, cannot afford the time. :(

u can find it at sim lim sq :)

edesign @ what do u mean by autofix scanner? if u mean colour correction....the s/w that comes with the scanner can do it as well. of course alot of ppl would recommend the other more pro s/w to do scanning.

i saw some printer that has the photo fix function ie when the colour on the film/photo are too light/dark the scanner will auto adjust it too the apporiate colour.

will a dedicated film/negative scanner be shaper etc...... than a flatbed scanner.
are the difference alot?

Status
Not open for further replies.