Coolpix 8800 or Dimage A200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyNikon

Apr 7, 2005
Bedok North
I've just sold off my D70 and all the equipment/accessories associated with it.
I loved the camera, there's no doubt about that, but the weight of my equipment (I normally lug around the camera, kit lens, a Tamron 24-135mm lens, a tripod) was really hurting me.
Most times I'd be too tired to concentrate on getting the kind of picture I would like to get.
Yeah, I'm not as fit as some of the people here.
I'm all skin and bones, you see.
And I wanna get away from getting bitten by the BBB bug when it comes to lenses. :bsmilie:

I'm thinking of "downgrading" to a lighter prosumer camera with similar, if not better, features or functions as my beloved "ex-wife", and of course with a good focal range without spending $$$ on a few lenses.:think:

I've narrowed down to two choices, Nikon Coolpix 8800 and Konica Minolta DiMage A200.
I kinda like the A200's mechanical zoom for that SLR-like feeling.
And I've been a Nikon user for some time and it's hard not to look at their top prosumer model.

The focal ranges on the 2 cameras are what I would love to have on a DLSR, 28-200mm on the A200, and 35-350mm on the 8800.
I can live without the wider angle that's lacking on the 8800's lens.

I've read reviews for both cameras on the net and I just can't decide which to get.
So I really need opinions/comments/feedback from those who are using or have used any of the 2 cameras mentioned to help me decide.
I've never used a prosumer camera before so I hope to be enlightened by you people.

By the way, I was quoted $1360 for the 8800 by a shop. Is that a good price?
Haven't asked for the A200 yet.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers

:cheers:

Have you ever considered the Olympus 8080?

IMHO, the KM Dimage Ax series are as quick to use as prosumers get. Demo'ed an 8800 and shot with the 5700/8700 and I felt they were very sluggish to use, especially the motorised zoom function.

The KM has a wider zoom but the Nikon has a longer one (and greater zoom ratio).

synapseman said:
IMHO, the KM Dimage Ax series are as quick to use as prosumers get. Demo'ed an 8800 and shot with the 5700/8700 and I felt they were very sluggish to use, especially the motorised zoom function.

The KM has a wider zoom but the Nikon has a longer one (and greater zoom ratio).

True.. But I've found the A200 to be far too neutered to be worth it's price. If it had just retained the HSS flash & 1MP EVF from the A2, it'd be worth it's $1.2k asking price.

Heh. Why do you think I hunted high and low for the A2 instead of settling for the "latest model" A200 that all the shops were trying to push?

But having said that, I'd still choose the A200 over the 8800. I've heard good things about the Olympus, so that could also be another option to consider.

synapseman said:
Heh. Why do you think I hunted high and low for the A2 instead of settling for the "latest model" A200 that all the shops were trying to push?

For the same reasons why I hunted for an A2 while everyone was selling the A200? LOL..

Status
Not open for further replies.