Compatible Lenses for Olympus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeletonman

Sep 14, 2007
Singapore
I know there are a few brands out there. Like Sigma, Tokina and others.
But just how good are there? Wanted to get a telephoto lens but it far too expensive.
Around 4000 bucks.:what:

Any other good brands for four third system to recommend???

Thanks...

Hi, I think you are new to CS, so firstly a warm welcome. You will have to look under the four third sub forum for any 4/3 related issues. There, you will be able to find prices and discussions about 4/3 cams and lens.. Hope you can get your telephoto soon and happy shooting...

here is the link to the 4/3 forum :

http://forums.clubsnap.org/forumdisplay.php?f=94

What kind of range u looking at?

If you don't mind Manual focus maybe you can get a 4/3 adapter and use manual focus lenses instead?

Those can come really cheap for fast ones.

Z

Hi, I think you are new to CS, so firstly a warm welcome. You will have to look under the four third sub forum for any 4/3 related issues. There, you will be able to find prices and discussions about 4/3 cams and lens.. Hope you can get your telephoto soon and happy shooting...

here is the link to the 4/3 forum :

http://forums.clubsnap.org/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Thanks for the link! Will check it out!

What kind of range u looking at?

If you don't mind Manual focus maybe you can get a 4/3 adapter and use manual focus lenses instead?

Those can come really cheap for fast ones.

Z

I don't mind manual focus. Any links available for me to check it out?

A tele zoom...The Sigma 135-400 is well below the level you are talking about. I am very happy with the lens.

A tele zoom...The Sigma 135-400 is well below the level you are talking about. I am very happy with the lens.

Any idea where this lens is being sold in SG? Went to MS Color, they don't carry this. :(

Just went to Sashinki site and realised that Oly Zuiko 70-300mm is on sale at 1550 RM.

Will only arrive 20 Oct I believe. :)

This product will be in stock on Saturday 20 October, 2007.

Prices are not cheap.

In my opinion, only Olympus and Leica/Panasonic 4/3 lens is really build to 4/3 standard. Sigma, though has 4/3 mount is not 4/3. Though it is a 4/3 mount the DC range is actually designed for APS-C size sensor while the DG range is originally build for 35mm format while optimised for APS-C size sensor. Correct me if I'm wrong...

In my opinion, only Olympus and Leica/Panasonic 4/3 lens is really build to 4/3 standard. Sigma, though has 4/3 mount is not 4/3. Though it is a 4/3 mount the DC range is actually designed for APS-C size sensor while the DG range is originally build for 35mm format while optimised for APS-C size sensor. Correct me if I'm wrong...
No need to correct, you're right. ;)
Sigma 4/3 lenses has exactly the same lens design as their respective Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Konica-Minolta counterparts and are not 100% designed from the grounds up for the Olympus E-System sensors like Olympus and Panasonic lenses.

They don't work 100 %, if they have O.I.S., so someone shouldn't expect image stabilisation on Olympus cameras.
Don't know where you get that impression from but my Leica 14-50mm works perfectly well with my E-330 and the image stabilisation does work on the E-330. ;)

They don't work 100 %, if they have O.I.S., so someone shouldn't expect image stabilisation on Olympus cameras.

Can you explain that statement? The Leica IS does work on Olympus cameras...it's just limited to only one of the two IS modes, but it's the most important IS mode.

Yes you can't use it with the E-510's IS, but you wouldn't want to anyway due to the extra battery consumption running both IS systems, and anyway they would fight each other.

So far, only 1 of the E system comes with the IS built in. For the rest of us, the Leica's OIS is a welcome blessing...(except for the $$$..can actually buy an E-510 and still have change left for a 35mm macro.:confused: )

Status
Not open for further replies.