comparison between canon 550d and 600d

icic... by the way, can i ask somethings? is mega pixel a important factor in DSLR? cus in my mind i also looking for nikon d3100 which have 14 megapixel if i'm not mistaken. and also, what are the key factor and specification to look for if wanna compare DSLR? thanks.:)

Read the "What DSLR to get?" FAQ. There you will see what you should *really* consider above the MP.

Oh yeah. I have the 550D and AF in video mode is really slow/annoying with the noise. I always go with MF while video-recording. :)

Auto focus in video mode may not be available in all camera systems but is very convenient when you are not used to manual. That is if course you are willing to accept the "sometimes innaccurate" auto focusing if based on the listed models

Rashkae said:
Video is VERY low-resolution compared to pictures. So a good lens will not improve the quality.

Can you deal with manual focus in videos? If you need autofocus that's at least somewhat fast an accurate, you are looking at the wrong system.

Interesting. So lens only give us a change in perspective? Assuming you do not need to shoot far reach, would a UWA, 18-200mm (or 18-270mm), a FE lens, a dedicated macro lens and a TS lens covers all perspective without the need to get the better quality glass?

Interesting. So lens only give us a change in perspective? Assuming you do not need to shoot far reach, would a UWA, 18-200mm (or 18-270mm), a FE lens, a dedicated macro lens and a TS lens covers all perspective without the need to get the better quality glass?

18-270 is already a UWA to far reaching lens. So technically yeah, those will pretty much cover all perspectives (with some overlaps even)

to print a A4 size, 10 mp is enough, you will not be able to see the difference, compare to a 14 mp, unless you put it side by side.

if you going to upload into facebook, 5 mp will be more than enough.

icic. hmm.. tt have to make me re-consider my choice. but canon good is they got some free trainer to guide you how to use your camera. hahax.

by the way, does mega pixel important if i wanna shoot long distance object/sceneries? :)

Last edited:
Video is VERY low-resolution compared to pictures. So a good lens will not improve the quality.

Can you deal with manual focus in videos? If you need autofocus that's at least somewhat fast an accurate, you are looking at the wrong system.

oic. i don't mind with the manual focus at the later part of my learning stage as it can broaden up my learning, but as a noob, i think autofocus would be a great help for me during video. so 550d and 600d they don't have autofocus on their camera during videoing? so which camera they do have this function? :)

icic. hmm.. tt have to make me re-consider my choice. but canon good is they got some free trainer to guide you how to use your camera. hahax.

I am a Canon user (1000D, 40D and finally 7D)... never for once go to their training class... don't think I will need it... My point is, training class is not a deal breaker (I hope). Just get the camera, then join CS outing and you will learn alot from the old birds here (not refering to me, of course, I am still pretty much a noob)

Last edited:
Oh yeah. I have the 550D and AF in video mode is really slow/annoying with the noise. I always go with MF while video-recording. :)

ic. but shooting wise is it good? :)

Auto focus in video mode may not be available in all camera systems but is very convenient when you are not used to manual. That is if course you are willing to accept the "sometimes innaccurate" auto focusing if based on the listed models

hmm... so what are those listed model that have autofocus in videoing? :)

ic. but shooting wise is it good? :)

AF in movie mode is convenient to have... But not really a 'must have' feature (in my opinion only).

18-270 is already a UWA to far reaching lens. So technically yeah, those will pretty much cover all perspectives (with some overlaps even)

lolx. guess i need to read up alot of things on lens. by the way, if bought a lens of EF 18-250 IS Lens, is it good enough to shoot long distance objects/sceneries, marcos, videos and aperture shot? :)

I am a Canon user (1000D, 40D and finally 7D)... never for once go to their training class... don't think I will need it... My point is, training class is not a deal breaker (I hope). Just get the camera, then join CS outing and you will learn alot from the old birds here (not refering to me, of course, I am still pretty much a noob)

AF in movie mode is convenient to have... But not really a 'must have' feature (in my opinion only).

oic. since you're a canon user, so how you think of canon performances in term of their shooting and videoing wise? :)

sorry guys, correct me if i'm wrong. 550d has HD video recording with sound and HDML output so can connect to TV and watch? :)

hmm... so what are those listed model that have autofocus in videoing? :)

The D7000 has somewhat-ok contrast detect autofocus. Right now only the Sony A33 and A55 have full-speed autofocus in video and live view.

sorry guys, correct me if i'm wrong. 550d has HD video recording with sound and HDML output so can connect to TV and watch? :)

FYI, this is all covered extensively in the reviews. Please take some time to read them.

oic. since you're a canon user, so how you think of canon performances in term of their shooting and videoing wise? :)

I love my Canon (very very sharp and detailed pics). Sure, it didn't have autofocus during movie mode, but I do not care for autofocus in movie mode. Heck... many of my lens are manual focus lens and recently I am shooting using an very very old OM 50mm f1.8 so no autofocus.

The only time I find autofocus useful for still shots was when shooting fast moving object... static object basically don't need af (for me)...

sorry guys, correct me if i'm wrong. 550d has HD video recording with sound and HDML output so can connect to TV and watch? :) :)

Not sure if this option is included, normally I would download my movie and shots to a harddisk before plugging it to my TV (for my 7D). Once I did plug directly (via USB) to my TV for my 40D and I can watch the still shots (40D don't have video mode) I have from my camera. Not sure if this was possible for my 7D and also for other models such as 550D or 600D, theoretically it is possible though.

The D7000 has somewhat-ok contrast detect autofocus. Right now only the Sony A33 and A55 have full-speed autofocus in video and live view.

FYI, this is all covered extensively in the reviews. Please take some time to read them.

cus of my poor language, but i hope i did read correctly that it does have HD video and sound. :)

I love my Canon (very very sharp and detailed pics). Sure, it didn't have autofocus during movie mode, but I do not care for autofocus in movie mode. Heck... many of my lens are manual focus lens and recently I am shooting using an very very old OM 50mm f1.8 so no autofocus.

The only time I find autofocus useful for still shots was when shooting fast moving object... static object basically don't need af (for me)...

Not sure if this option is included, normally I would download my movie and shots to a harddisk before plugging it to my TV (for my 7D). Once I did plug directly (via USB) to my TV for my 40D and I can watch the still shots (40D don't have video mode) I have from my camera. Not sure if this was possible for my 7D and also for other models such as 550D or 600D, theoretically it is possible though.

oic. was just wondering, how much does the lens for nikon and canon cost? and also, as i've mentioned earlier, is EF 18-250 IS canon len good enough to capture long distance sceneries, night shot, marco, videoing and moving object? :)

oic. was just wondering, how much does the lens for nikon and canon cost? and also, as i've mentioned earlier, is EF 18-250 IS canon len good enough to capture long distance sceneries, night shot, marco, videoing and moving object? :)

I don't think anyone here had the most accurate estimate of what was the cost of the lens for both Canon and Nikon, you would have to call the shop up and ask for quotation. Check the price guide section in this forum, there was a list of reputable shops that normally we would go to for camera accessories.

Also I would believe what you are looking at is a EF-S 18-200mm IS lens. This is a good travel lens. Quite sharp, but don't expect it to be 'L' lens quality. In fact many other lens such as the 15-85mm is sharper... but convenience wise, this is a great lens, especially when you don't want to keep changing lens.

look to this website for lens comparism,

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=675

And also read up reviews in dpreview, cameralabs, etc for better understanding of cameras and lens.

Oh... and yes, D7000, 600D, 550D, A55 and A33 all have full HD recording capability.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone here had the most accurate estimate of what was the cost of the lens for both Canon and Nikon, you would have to call the shop up and ask for quotation. Check the price guide section in this forum, there was a list of reputable shops that normally we would go to for camera accessories.

Also I would believe what you are looking at is a EF-S 18-200mm IS lens. This is a good travel lens. Quite sharp, but don't expect it to be 'L' lens quality. In fact many other lens such as the 15-85mm is sharper... but convenience wise, this is a great lens, especially when you don't want to keep changing lens.

look to this website for lens comparism,

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=675

And also read up reviews in dpreview, cameralabs, etc for better understanding of cameras and lens.

Oh... and yes, D7000, 600D, 550D, A55 and A33 all have full HD recording capability.

thanks pal. cus sometime got this kind of promotion for this particular lens purchase with purchase. so i read through last year canon promotion on IT show, and they have this canon EF 18-250 IS lens with purchase for $200 plus. hahax.

and one thing i heard is that, correct me if i'm wrong, for nikon wise, if got example you have D3100 DSLR, you only can buy D3100 lens to replace it, you can't buy any other nikon model like D3000 len for the D3100 camera. as for canon, you can use other lens model of canon camera like 600d onto a 550d camera. am i right? :)

Last edited:
and one thing i heard is that, correct me if i'm wrong, for nikon wise, if got example you have D3100 DSLR, you only can buy D3100 lens to replace it, you can't buy any other nikon model like D3000 len for the D3100 camera. as for canon, you can use other lens model of canon camera like 600d onto a 550d camera. am i right? :)

totally and utterly WRONG. In fact, you have more limits with the Canon system on attaching lenses.

Did you go to the Nikon website and see a whole section on "D3000 lenses" and "D3100 lenses"? No, right?

Did you read A SINGLE REVIEW before posting this nonsense? Really, all you need to do is show some initiative, read ANY D3100 review and you would have your answer.

Please learn to educate yourself!!! This way you won't be dependent on spoon-feeding, or getting your head filled with nonsense like what you posted.

Last edited: