colour neg to b n w prints

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkl

Apr 5, 2004
hi...
can someone kindly explain to me how the printing of b n w prints on coloured paper works? as in use coloured film but print in b n w... and also what's the diff between using b n w cn process film and colour film as they're both processed in the same way... what abt the diff between traditional b n w and cn processed b n w?

any help will be much appreciated...

thanks,
jkl

B&W CN film are black and white film which can be developed in C-41 chemistry, which is that of ordinary colour negative film. They are processed the same way but when printing, the B&W will give you B&W (or sepia depending on the type of paper used and whether the technician help you correct), the colour film gives you ordinary colour print. Traditional B&W films looks more crisp with greater contrast, B&W CN films look murkier, the blacks look grey and the white looks grey, but this is just my opinion.

Printing B&W from colour film can be done, but I assume the printer first digitally convert your colour negative to black and white through some software.

justarius said:
B&W CN film are black and white film which can be developed in C-41 chemistry, which is that of ordinary colour negative film. They are processed the same way but when printing, the B&W will give you B&W (or sepia depending on the type of paper used and whether the technician help you correct), the colour film gives you ordinary colour print. Traditional B&W films looks more crisp with greater contrast, B&W CN films look murkier, the blacks look grey and the white looks grey, but this is just my opinion.

Printing B&W from colour film can be done, but I assume the printer first digitally convert your colour negative to black and white through some software.

hey... thanks...
in other words, b n w prints developed frm b n w cn film will be different frm that of coloured film right?

jkl

I haven't seen any B&W prints from colour negatives before, so I'm not really qualified to comment...

i have anyhow gone to a shop and anyhow printed b/w prints from colour negs b4. it was duck race 2002. the prints look ok =)

Status
Not open for further replies.