Color problem

Yup i encountered this problem before. Its about the profiles, common issue when experimenting with profiles / proofing.

Yea man I know what you mean, been deliberating for months!
Nobody i know has a meter, guess I'll have to be that friend
For normal LCD screens you can look for 2nd hand Spyder2 in Buy&Sell. Got mine there 2 years ago, still works well. For some newer types of screens you will need Spyder3, best to check on the website: http://spyder.datacolor.com/products.php

Just got the Spyder3Pro

Most of the displays I've calibrated went much warmer after calibration and most people have noted that this is normal. White pt 6500K

I figured this might be good for getting great results from prints and consistency when transferring pictures between friends who are calibrated as well, but for posting on the web where most viewers will be viewing from a much cooler white point, is is better if i switch to a cooler white point?

I figured this might be good for getting great results from prints and consistency when transferring pictures between friends who are calibrated as well, but for posting on the web where most viewers will be viewing from a much cooler white point, is is better if i switch to a cooler white point?
Not only their systems are not prepare for accurate colour reproduction but also their eyes are not aware of the differences. Just make sure the ICC profile is always included so that in case somebody uses Safari or Firefox (and a profiled system) the colours are correct.

Yea I know I've seen how Internet Explorer messes up colours.

Anyway I was thinking, the color information embedded into the JPEG is the standard sRGB or Adobe RGB, etc etc right? You don't embed your monitor's profile into the JPEG right

The monitor's profile is there to translate a picture that has colors in the sRGB space into its color space so that what is on screen is accurate. So if I have Monitor Profile A and my friend has Monitor Profile B and we view a photo encoded with sRGB colors, it should show exactly the same picture even though make and brand of our monitors is different

This is what I've gathered over the past few days and I really don't know much so pardon me if I am really off.

Anyway I was thinking, the color information embedded into the JPEG is the standard sRGB or Adobe RGB, etc etc right? You don't embed your monitor's profile into the JPEG right

The monitor's profile is there to translate a picture that has colors in the sRGB space into its color space so that what is on screen is accurate. So if I have Monitor Profile A and my friend has Monitor Profile B and we view a photo encoded with sRGB colors, it should show exactly the same picture even though make and brand of our monitors is different

This is what I've gathered over the past few days and I really don't know much so pardon me if I am really off.

it will show different colors on the different monitors. sRGB is just the colorspace. how it is rendered on different monitors is a different story.

The monitor's profile is there to translate a picture that has colors in the sRGB space into its color space so that what is on screen is accurate.
Not really, the colour space is not relevant here. The colour rendering starts in the graphics card. Here the digital information of every pixel is converted into signals usable by the monitor. The entire system of graphics card, cable, monitor needs to be correct so that a pixel coded as "back" also appears as "black" on screen. But none of these components is really correct and putting 2 of them together makes it really complicated. The profile generated by the calibrator is a filter to off-set the specific characteristics of the system "graphics card, cable, monitor" in order to get a linear and correct reproduction of colours.

Do I need the run the Spyder utility in the background or at every start up after the calibration profile is started?

I realize it manually loads the profile into the Video card Lookup Table (LUT) at startup, do i need the application to do that or can Windows 7 do it with the ICC profile?

Do I need the run the Spyder utility in the background or at every start up after the calibration profile is started?
No. Only run it when the reminder pops up again.

I realize it manually loads the profile into the Video card Lookup Table (LUT) at startup, do i need the application to do that or can Windows 7 do it with the ICC profile?
Manually? The profile loader will do that automatically once it's installed properly and if there is a profile as result of the profiling exercise. No need to do anything else. If you watch the screen carefully you will notice that upon startup first the screen appears 'normal' as before the profiling. Once the profile is loaded (and you get the notification) the colours change. That's what happens here at Win7 with Spyder2. Should be the same with Spyder3.

It looks like the evil witch - Moire.
Moire appears mainly as concentrical or parallel, intersecting patterns, either of luminance or colour or both... this is more of a splotchyness...
technically, if both Monitor A and Monitor B are correctly profiled to a reasonably tight tolerance, and if both monitors' colour spaces are large enough to display all the required colours, and if the rendering intent of both systems are set to the same option (typically "Perceptual"), then yes... YMMV...:)

Last edited:

I doubt you can get same colors off different brand of monitors. Even then the age of monitor affects the color on the lcd. Best to work with 1 monitor if its out of spec/damaged/aged replace it.

My concept is get to a region thats as near as economically possible on monitor and leave the rest to the printer calibration part. Coz no matter how much you do on the monitor calibration you cant get exactly the same color on print. This is also true on your client's pc if they are not using calibrated screen + color managed browser. Color accuracy is costly. The entire chain needs to be color managed and doesnt stop at the photographer's monitor.

Would anyone care to explain the basic monitor settings?

the RGB settings, the Brightness, the Contrast

and then the RGB offset and gain

I am trying to achieve a dead straight aligned RGB level even for less than 10% gray. These would involve the RGB offset and gain?
How about a straight 2.2 gamma?

Am i right to say that the RGB settings in the normal menu affects the gamut instead?

Probably the only thing you need to set is the gamma. The recommended value is 2.2. everything else is managed by the monitor calibration device. Manually adjusting the settings only introduce more variables and not solving the problem.

Nothing you do can affect the gamut. It'll just affect how the screen looks. The only way to increase gamut is to buy a wider gamut monitor.

Keep things simple, use a monitor calibration device and trust it. If its broken then you need to compensate for it or replace it.

I doubt you can get same colors off different brand of monitors. Even then the age of monitor affects the color on the lcd. Best to work with 1 monitor if its out of spec/damaged/aged replace it.

My concept is get to a region thats as near as economically possible on monitor and leave the rest to the printer calibration part. Coz no matter how much you do on the monitor calibration you cant get exactly the same color on print. This is also true on your client's pc if they are not using calibrated screen + color managed browser. Color accuracy is costly. The entire chain needs to be color managed and doesnt stop at the photographer's monitor.

I raise both hand and agree with you.

;)