Color calibration of a Corel X5 installed on Windows 7 64 bit using Spyder 2

Kongo

Apr 6, 2005
www.pbase.com
Hi,

I switched from Windows XP n Corel X3 to Windows 7 64bit n Corel X5 recently.

Noticed that the Color Management interface of the X5 is quite different from the X3 and I am puzzled how to properly set up the color mgmt for web display. At the moment my settings look like this:

142072944.jpg

Where 1-Kong-1 is my color profile calibrated by Spyder 2.

are the above settings correct?

I still noticed color shift of the pics I see in my PC from those I uploaded to web and viewed in internet explorer 9, wonder which procedure went wrong..

Help will be much appreciated, I am quite an idiot in these technical aspect..

Last edited:
An example of the color shift experienced:

original.jpg

Any cure? (note: I hv IE9 installed)

:cry:

Last edited:
first off, I must say I have no personal experience with Corel X5, but after a simple Googling, I see that the system should work like in Photoshop, and since no one else has contributed, I'ld provide my 2cts worth (with the assumption that it indeed works like how it is in Photoshop)...

In the "Default color settings/Color profiles:" setting, what they probably require is a colour space rather than the colour profile of your monitor... that is to say, it probably needs something like "sRGB", "Adobe RGB", or such like...

a colour space is a "map" that shows all the possible colours within that particular description; it is what software needs to understand colour... what a colour profile for a device like a monitor does is provide a basis to interpret the colour space data into an actual visual colour representation for that particular device...

taking the eg. of monitors, monitor profiling measures the screen's colour reproduction and plots it to a standard, typically LAB colour... with this profile, the computer operating system, through some colour management component, would know how to control the colour output of the monitor... software, like Corel X5 or Photoshop or whatever, would then work within a colour space, sRGB or Adobe RGB or whatever we choose, and colour information is handed from the software to, and interpreted by, the operating system's colour management software, which controls the colour production by the monitor...

Thanks for the explanation, get a better picture after your explanation..

However, after some google effort, I noticed that there are some complaints of similar experience for user of IE9.

I tried downloading Firefox yesterday and then realised that the color in Firefox matches almost perfectly with what I see in my PC, unlike IE9 which shows a higher saturation as my screen capture above.

And when I use my Ipad's Safari to view the pics upload to my pbase gallery, the color looks alright as well..

Looks like the issue lies with the color management process of Internet explorer 9.. :confused:

Didnt encounter such problem b4 when I was using IE 8.

Like that jiat lat liaoz.. Internet Explorer is so commonly used among all.

Wonder will everyone using IE9 see a more saturated color as per above or it only applies to myself when I view the pics in my PC cos IE9 ignores my monitor profile during conversion?

Guess I will need to launch Firefox when visiting CS in future liaoz.. so dissapointed wif microsoft..

looking at what you say, it might be down to the icc profile version... when you profile your monitor, do you select the profile to be written as an icc v2 or icc v4 profile?... Firefox only reads icc v2 profiles and not icc v4 profiles, whereas IE9 reads both icc v2 and icc v4 profiles... Ipads/iOS does not implement colour management so can't really use that as a basis for judgement...