Cokin holder

MYlover

Dec 2, 2011
Hi all, i am new with the filter.
plan to get Cokin filter for my 17-50mm lens (1.6x).
saw Hercules Square Filter Basic Kit in SG store, so just wanna know is that filter nice to use? bcause I tried a cheap filter last time that is really.....sigh...
Any comments please?
or can I get Hercules holder but then Cokin ori filter? Please advice :)

Last edited:
no one know?

Cokin P holder is better than all other holders in 85mm range, easy to use, i am using Cokin P holder with hitech filters for last few months i have no complains. i got the expected results with ND and GND's without any additional surprises.
i am not sure about Hercules filters, price wise they look cheaper than the hitech but not sure about the performance. cant find any reviews online.

Hmm y u say tat cokin P holder is better than others? can give any reason? just wan to know :)

Hmm y u say tat cokin P holder is better than others? can give any reason? just wan to know :)

It is made better with better quality plastic than the China knockoffs. BTW, the Cokin P holder cost around $15 new. So it is not that much more expensive than the China ones, unless you are buying in China, where it is dirt cheap.

Hercules is made OEM in China... and I suspect that it is most probably made by Tianya.

Thank daredevil, u help a lot ^^

HI Guys,
Im also interested in the Cokin P holder.
But, i want to use it on my EF-s Canon 10-20mm ultra wide angle lens.

I've read somewhere that the p-holder will still create vignetting.
Can this vignetting be avoided?

IF Cokin P-holder is not the right filter holder to use, what should i do?

Hope all the 'si fu' out there can advise.

Thanks.

HI Guys,

Thanks.

P series holder comes in a ultra wide lens version. It can only hold one filter.............................................. But that's the price you pay. If you want to stack, then have to use larger size filters and pay more money in general, whether it's Cokin Z series, Hi-tech, Lee, etc..

I have used a Cokin P holder for nearly 5 years and the plastic has worn down a little.

I bought a knockoff a while back. After 1 year of use, the plastic has worn down so much that I managed to knock off the filter holder from the ring for the first time in my life, with a light touch. Resulting in the filter holder AND filter landing in the water. Minor scratches that do not really make a difference, but suppose I was photographing from a high place and that happened.

roylai said:
HI Guys,

Thanks.

I prev got the Cokin p slim holder, one filter close to the front. No vignetting with 12mm on dx. But u might want to check in case, at 10 mm.
Else if not protruding front element, maybe u can try hand hold close to the lens.

I recently switched to the Lee 100mm holder, ( the z pro equivalent ). But it also means more cost for bigger filters