[Clem] Learning Journey - Baby Steps to B/W

ClemC

Jun 12, 2010
Within myself
I'm taking baby steps to re-learn about black & white photography. Along the way, I hope I will learn more about the techniques and hopefully create a style I can keep. This is the Photograph that got me thinking and re-learning black & white photography in the digital era.

#1 Xian - Terracotta Warriors (兵马俑)
5208636434_8b8dd2da79_b.jpg

This is one of the places that I have longed to visit and was lucky enough to do it this year. I have always wondered how grand the terracoota warriors can be. It was a rainy day but once I step into the pit. I was destroyed by the vastness of the army, frightened by the errie feelings of openness, shocked by the uniqueness in each soldier and humbled by the whole experience.

I hope to end this series with a black and white picture of #1, in my style. For a start, I will present a few images where I'm using selective-desaturation techniques to enhance how I want to present the images.. Do send me your C & C. If you feel a particular image should NOT be done in this way, please also provide me your inputs.

I will upload whenever I can find time in my work & social life to prepare new images. Please bare with me.

Will start off with a few pictures of Huashan.

#2 2010.08 Huashan
5208038787_c82740c41e_b.jpg

#3 2010.08 Huashan
5208244313_fbb4abac1b_b.jpg

#1 - not too sure if it is my monitor but there is black patch which kind of destroy the flow of the picture....

#1 - not too sure if it is my monitor but there is black patch which kind of destroy the flow of the picture....
Nothing wrong with your monitor. To capture the first row and at this angle, I was 22m from subject :).. The whole pit is underground and the shadow was cast by the steel supporting hanger.. I'm just a plain tourist, how I wish I could get nearer. But I do have another nice shot, will b/w this and that in the last few post.

Jin Yong (金庸) visited huashan in 2003 and wrote 华山论剑 (on a stone). And 飞雪连天射白鹿, 笑书神侠倚碧鸳 (this couplet is formed by using the first character of his 14 novel) on another stone. The next picture just show the first two words 华山

#4 2010.08 Huashan
5208842174_9bb4d7b6be_b.jpg

I guess another reason people climb huashan is for the sunrise :)
#5 2010.08 Huashan
5208462395_9064d3c78f_b.jpg

#6 2010.08 Huashan
5210694193_48e9a09437_b.jpg

#7 2010.08 Huashan
5210689593_3c70dbb128_b.jpg

Guess there isn't much interest in such a series :)

This is nice. can "feel" the sight~
Bro Zelot, thks for poping by and adding comment ;p. For me, I can feel the sight and also feel the cramps on my legs ;p (travel light, travel light, travel light)

#8 2010.08 Huashan
5211256507_c103a68a9d_b.jpg

#9 2010.08 Huashan
5211856934_3c44a27195_z.jpg

Will try and complete Huashan pics

#10 2010.08 华山日出
5211856804_7cbe93cee5_b.jpg

Only had 1.2 days in Huashan, only one chance to catch a sunset & sunrise. For someone not so young, it takes a while and effort to get to 东峰 before 5am but I would say it is worth the effort. I guess most will remember the sunrise and the numerous locks + ribbons of well wishes on huashan.

Cant justify changing the sunrise picture into b/w or monochromatic.. so will leave the last one as it is (#10).

Last edited:
Not getting any comment, not much of a learning journey for me. :(

When looking back, not sure if #5 and #6 should have the selective desaturation treatment, may rework them later.

Not sure which series to work on next, will just put up some shoots@SG (spend some time shooting last week - currently sorting-discarding-processing). C & C ?

#11 2010.11 Lower Seletar - Monochromatic Shoot
5217709791_742d88ab88_b.jpg

#12 2010.11 Lower Seletar - Just before Sunrise
5217709913_869ce6bbf9_b.jpg

Last edited:
#13 2010.11 MBS from Promontory@Marina Bay
5218298856_3861fbf32d_b.jpg

#14 2010.11 On Esplanade Bridge - Just after Sunrise
5218299000_bb547fe634_b.jpg

I love the Huashan series especially #2 but am not sure about the SC...

B&W always tend to give the timeless feeling but going together with Color, it does not seems fit.

Cheers..

I really like the dramatic scenes you are attempting to create in the Huashan series, but would prefer more breathing space to be built into the frames. Eg, pic # 2, 3 n 9, more sky would tone down the otherwise suffocating feeling from the high impact of the majestic formations.

I quite like it, a great idea combining b/w with the richness of colour, really like the green tree sticking out of the rock.

The first picture though puzzles me, the location was probably great but the angle looked really wrong and doesn't fit with the rest of the great pictures *shrugs*

travel light, travel light, travel light

Yeah I can totally relate dude, that's why after so many years I only just bought a tripod, then after a few weeks I still haven't touched it yet so I wonder why lol

Hard to pick a fave out of the lot but I'm a sucker for mountains so number 2 for me.

I love the Huashan series especially #2 but am not sure about the SC...
B&W always tend to give the timeless feeling but going together with Color, it does not seems fit.
Cheers..

SoulFLY, thanks for the feedback. Can you explain what is SC ? (new to CS and may not know what is meaning of abbreviation - Selective Colour, Single Colour, etc).

Relooking at the series of pictures, I cant even convince myself that some of those pictures look good. I can see a few that look better either in Colour or just plain B/W. I would only keep a few in such "selective desaturation" technique. Not every picture can be done like that :(

I really like the dramatic scenes you are attempting to create in the Huashan series, but would prefer more breathing space to be built into the frames. Eg, pic # 2, 3 n 9, more sky would tone down the otherwise suffocating feeling from the high impact of the majestic formations.

Lekech - the "dramatic scenes" is huashan's credit, I was only trying to capture and present its beauty. Noted about breathing space in pictures. Will redo some cropping in the future.

Last edited:
HI! I am not a pro but i really like #4 2010.08 Huashan, it brought out the 气势 of Huashan!

OT abit, why the locks on #10? haha.

I quite like it, a great idea combining b/w with the richness of colour, really like the green tree sticking out of the rock.
The first picture though puzzles me, the location was probably great but the angle looked really wrong and doesn't fit with the rest of the great pictures *shrugs*
Yeah I can totally relate dude, that's why after so many years I only just bought a tripod, then after a few weeks I still haven't touched it yet so I wonder why lol
Hard to pick a fave out of the lot but I'm a sucker for mountains so number 2 for me.
I glad you like #8, hope you dont mind if I do another version.. still feel tooo much colour in it.. See if you like a newer version later.

[re-read the thread - I think you were refering to #7 and not #8]

#1 is what started me thinking about presenting things in B/W, as mentioned I will close this series in the future with a few shots of the terracoota warriors in B/W. :) Hope the ending series will put things in place (and not so weird/wrong) :)

Bro MrSamO, I was walking around huashan with about 6kgs of photographic equipments (include tripod) and not young anymore :( .. That's why I said.. must remind myself to travel light.. LOL

Last edited:
HI! I am not a pro but i really like #4 2010.08 Huashan, it brought out the 气势 of Huashan!
OT abit, why the locks on #10? haha.

OT - #5, #8, #10 show locks+red ribbons, it is one of the more unique features in huashan. People leave their well-wshes for family, friends with a lock+red ribbons with words, MAINLY, it is for lovers to seal their love with the lock+red ribbon :)

#15 2010.11 Woodlands Waterfront
5217709361_cdf446419b_b.jpg

Last Picture of the SG shoots this week, so what's next :)

Last edited:
Hi Bro Clement,
You started this thread indicating that it is a B&W thing, but I see color being added via PS, so it is counter to your intentions leh! Nevetheless the pictures do tell a story in them. Thanks for sharing.:angel:
Cheers.
LEW

Hi Bro Clement,
You started this thread indicating that it is a B&W thing, but I see color being added via PS, so it is counter to your intentions leh! Nevetheless the pictures do tell a story in them. Thanks for sharing.:angel:
Cheers.
LEW
Yo Mr. Lew - Yes, it will be in B/W eventually, The thread say "Learning Journey - Baby Steps to B/W". Wait la.. LOL

For me, B/W technique is NOT just about removing colour in PS. It is learning how to handle desaturation in each colour channel, emphasis texture, contrast etc.. It is also re-learning the different effects of B/W films etc....

I hope to eventually "try and picture B/W" when doing a capture in many moons to come.. :) Most of my shoots are captured in colour and wont work in pure B/W. Selective De-Saturation technique is a know photography technique and it is also something I want to experiment with :)..

Bare with me a little longer la.. will get more B/W ok :)