Cleaning of Sony Alpha Sensor

Deedeeyaw

Dec 23, 2015
Serangoon
I know that there are lots of youtube videos out there and I actually want to start maintaining my camera. Already used for 3 months plus close to 4. It is safe to do it by yourself? Does anyone has a link to share the correct or most comfortable technique?

If I wanna clean my sensor at Sony will take 3-5days though its free but leaving it to them for those number of days will make me feel so empty in my bag. HAHAHHAHAH

Yes it's safe to DIY but with varying degrees of success. Do know that sensor is technically on a gimble like structure and using the camera's self cleaning function does not help much but using this function is the correct way as explained in the video.Watch the video below but note the change in audio volume in Lightroom scenes.

The only correct way to clean Sensor of Sony A7II A7sII A7rII

It is safe but also running a little risk, i have one friend who use his cheap air blower to clean the dust on sensor. The tube of the blower came out and shoot onto camera sensor, caused scratches on the senor and in the end, he sent for repair service.

Already used for 3 months plus close to 4.
Clean only when necessary. If there is not dust then no point messing around with the sensor.
People use their cameras for years without the need for any cleaning. Unless you use your camera in areas with lots of dust I think there's little need to clean it.

Try to avoid contact cleaning, even with the swab you purchased from market. There is anti reflection coating which extremely soft and easily get scratches.

Sensor clean but dust/dirt inside the lens also will have black spots. Esp when you do time lapse, need to remove those black spots! :(

Thank you all for your tips! So far so good so I'll prolly wait and see if its dirty or not... And I agree when doing long exposure I sometimes see black spots on the clear blue skies on my older camera

In all honesty, it only cost S$60 to clean the body. So it’s something I’d send over to get it done.

I’ll be sending mine now. Too many spots appearing on f8 and beyond due to trip to Israel and Amman recently. At wide open, it’s hardly visible...