Classic LTM Leica body servicing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

szekiat

Jan 19, 2002
London
Visit site
Hi, just wondering if there's anyone in singapore whom u'd recommend for servicing a IIIF and what the turn around time will be? Also whats the market price for a IIIF in singapore these days? I'll be coming back in a couple of weeks and i'm wondering if i should bring some of my barnacks back for servicing. Really have quite a few here at the moment (2xIIIG, 2xIIIF) and wouldn't mind selling off a few.

i did it at cam.x penisular shopping centre for 185$ with a new russian curtain replaced last month. cheap price. but the workmanship was not great. the repairman gave left a slight scratch on my beautiful IIIf.

alternatively, de camera philip tay is also doing it. good feedback from other CSers, but higher price, as he uses german shutter curtain. http://www.decameraconsultant.com/

The cheapest price better...:p
The word leica to those people means jack up prices but if ur camera is in collectors condition, u may want to send it oversea...Most of them here is overcharging us with sub standred work.
U may want to read my thread regarding my bad experiences.

Btw now, my leica and 50mm f1.2 works great. All done in cam x, no more lightleak and 50mm f1.2 in perfect sharp focus. :p

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383555

DE cam prices are much higher. It would not be wise to service with him if you intent to re-sell again.

The cheapest price better...:p
The word leica to those people means jack up prices but if ur camera is in collectors condition, u may want to send it oversea...Most of them here is overcharging us with sub standred work.
U may want to read my thread regarding my bad experiences.

Btw now, my leica and 50mm f1.2 works great. All done in cam x, no more lightleak and 50mm f1.2 in perfect sharp focus. :p

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383555

then own a nikon RF then since you cant afford to pay the repair, or even better buy a new one, why mr tay charge higher? have you ever stay behind in his shop to see how he clean your camera or lens? he is even willing to show and teach you about your camera/ lens
he wash every screws and plate with no dirt left.. what he charges is what you get..

frankly, for me, the most important thing is the turn around time. I don't think i need a new curtain just yet so i just want a CLA and a RF clean perhaps for one of my IIIF.

Forgot to add that i generally don't like sending it to the US/Canada cos i've sent stuff to DAG and the turn around including customs delay was over half a year. And its pricey to add. If indeed DeCamera charges in the 300++ region, i will forget it and just send it to my local guy (CRR Luton) who is world famous and has done up some really prestigious leicas in the past.

DE cam as mention by UNDERCOVERONE does his job well. He's that sort who does his repair work with great pride. I had a few cams done by him and they were fantastic. And i don't mind spending more $$ because i really love my cam and keeping it for long. Furthermore, he does take a much longer time to work on the cams as he does his job with great detail. Scrubbing of every single dirt he can find.

IF you intent to re-sell and required fast turn-around time then DE cam is not your cup of tea.

By the way undercoverone.. Paying money is never any problem for me. If u bother to read my thread, its never about the money. He does do a very good cleaning job but that does not means he's good at certain kind of repairs. I have not mention some of the other repair i had with Tay. Like my 55mm f1.2 where he put the aperture ring back wrongly.

undercoverone I must admit, I am not as rich and snob like u to be able to afford everything .
Btw i have a nikkor 50m f1.2. Keen??? I brought it brand new less than a year ago??? Pm me if u are keen. Thanks

sorry i didnt say i was rich, i am not. :confused: :)

undercoverone said:
i didnt say i am rich or what. haha. sometime tay do make mistake.:confused:

I know eveyone makes mistake bro..Whats important is after the mistake.:)

thanks for all the responses guys. I've decided to just send my cam to CRR instead as its easier and his turn around can be as fast as 5 days. Superb work as well. That said, if anyone is looking for a nice condition IIIF with elmar 50 and the hard to find hood with aperture control, let me know!

Forget my ignorance. Who is CRR? What are his charges? 5 days seem quite fast.

thanks.

yup thats the place. I've sent them an M2 and M3 and its come back faster than the 2 weeks i was told it'd take. About 5 working days in total. And cos its in the uk, i get overnight shipping and it arrives the day after its dispatched. I just looked at the pricelist and it seems to be a bit more than what i had paid in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.