Clang: A White Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

chngpe01

Staff member
Dearest Friends from ClubSnap......I'm having my second show in Singapore this coming June. It will be installed in SubStation, 45 Armenian Street from June 24th till July 6.
The gallery open from 11am -9pm. I will be there on the 24th most of the time if anyone wish to speak to me in person.
Hope to see you guys.
Lovesss*Clang

ps. I will be actively viewing this forum from now till then should there be any questions for me.

Posting this on behalf of johnclang, whose thread was closed

I was away for a few days due to my other activities....Table Tennis.
Therefore not being able to answer some questions post by Certain member.
For those who is not familiar with me or my work, let me humbly introduce myself.
I'm a Singaporean who has base in NYC for the last 8-9 years.
I still visit Singapore very oftenly as my parents and friends are here.
When I first move to NYC , I wanted to pit myself against the 'international' photographers.
I am very fortunate that I have been represented by Art & Commerce while in NYC.
They are the no.1 agency in the world and also represent Steven Meisel , Annie Leibovitz, Craig McDean......
This enable me a very fortunate and comfortable environment to produce my work.
I'm oftenly being dubbed as a fashion photographer though I simply just want to be a 'photographer'. I have cut down drastically on my fashion work as it is one area I don't really want to be termed as when I become older. I enjoy more doing works that fit my sensibility
and photography is a medium that I use to literally express my thoughts.
They make me understand myself and my existance in this world. It is not a simple language where it can be easily understood by everyone. In my case, my ultimate aim is to make my journey in this life a fruitful one. One which I can get to come closer to myself. Therefore I don't really produce work with the intention to impress others.
It has to fit my sensibility and it has to speak about me and my world. Very personal and very intimate.

Why do I want to have exhibition in Singapore???
This is one City which gave me the chance to grow into who I am now.
Without the chance given to me in Singapore, I will not get to where I am now.
Though small, Singapore is a great place for people who are talented and dedicated.
It gives this people an opportunity to show their talent.
If you are born in America or Europe or even Japan.....it will be an uphill battle.
You will have to be extremely lucky to get an opportunity to prove yourself.
Even if you fail once or twice in Singapore, you can still stand up and fight again.
It will be very difficult in America. The climate doesn't allow failure.
By showing in Singapore, it gives me a chance to expose my work to the young Singaporean and hopefully give them some encouragement and inspiration to excel.

Do I benefit from my Singapore exhibition?
This is one question commonly ask. Do I get any monetary rewards from my show?
The answer is NO. I'm not doing this show to promote any book. I'm not having any book for sale by the way :)
So it is not a publicity or promotion event. The prints are not for sale either.
I have sponsors approaching me but I have always turned them down because I believe in
Purity. And YES, this exhibition does cost me a lot of money...haha
Is it worth it? A BIG YES.
I do want Singaporean to know that JOHN CLANG is a Singaporean too.
Lovesss*Clang

Welcome back again and also thanks for taking the time to pen your thoughts and reply to certain members here.

We also hope that successes like yours will inspire our younger Singaporean photographers to achieve greater heights

Cheers

Thanks chanpe01 for starting this new thread and John for coming back to intro himself.

Considering his standing in the Big Apple, it's nice to see him back in SG using his own money to showcase his work with just the aim of inspairing others. We have lots to learn from him.

Thanks John :thumbsup:

By showing in Singapore, it gives me a chance to expose my work to the young Singaporean and hopefully give them some encouragement and inspiration to excel.

I'm dumbfounded with your liberal thoughts and generosity in wanting to share your vision with our young talents, John. Having your kind of status to care for younger blood is such a rare deal.

Till date, anyone in mind we should be looking out for or do you think there's still a long way for Singapore to discover yet another John Clang/ Leslie Kee/ Chuan Do?

I'm dumbfounded with your liberal thoughts and generosity in wanting to share your vision with our young talents, John Clang. Having your kind of status to care for younger blood is such a rare deal.

Till date, do you have anyone in mind we should be looking out for or do you think there's still a long way for Singapore to discover yet another John Clang/ Leslie Kee/ Chuan Do?

Thanks for your kind words. Personally, there are a few photographers I respect a lot in Singapore. Two of the most important are Willie Tang and Chua SooBin. Both have a great influence on me. They are both retired.
As for younger photographers, Leslie Kee and ChuanDo are 2 person I know for years and have always amazed me with their work and dedication.
There's indeed one more guy whose genius is undiscovered. His name is Kirby Koh.
He is a Singaporean who lives in London. He is a fashion photographer and I have known him ages ago and we remain very close friend.
In this highly competitive field, sometimes being the most talented doesn't guarantee you success. Kirby is one example. He is not as fortunate as me or Leslie but definitely not any less talented :)

As for the next younger generation (I'm really getting OLD)....our own Mattlock has alot of potential. Jon Tay and Xuan On are also 2 other local photographers to watch. These 3 talented peoples have great passion and what they now need is to hone their sensibility to a new individual high.
LovelyLovely*Clang

To my grief, 60% of the names you have mentioned I'm clueless.
I guess my knowledge on "who's who" are way too commercialized.

Willie Tang
- Seen his work on magazines during my secondary school days.

Chua Soo Bin - ? What does he do in the past?

Kirby Koh/ Xuan On/ Jon Tay - Dunno man...

Where can I find these people's work? I feel these people need to be highlighted.

Knowledge of singaporean getting to know photography has been gaining popularity in the recent years....The number of people owning a DSLR is common nowaday as compare to last 10years ago...

Okay, since I was pretty available at work today.
I've finally found some details of photographers John have mentioned.

Chua Soo Bin - captured the iconic Singapore Girl, wearing a traditional kebaya dress, for its 1985 calendar. I dunno if this is the same guy, but seems like he owns a gallery too http://www.soobinart.com.sg/Profile/Profile.htm

Jon Tay aka Jonathan Tay - Local photographer and represented by Marge Casey + Associates. He shoots really interesting stuffs (http://www.margecasey.com/).

Kirby Koh - All that is about this underground genius that's based in the UK (http://www.i-dmagazine.com/i_contribute/i_contribute.php?id=133)

Xuan Ong (corrected - not ON) - Not much details on the net except for her representative site (www.groovy.com.sg), but I hear from my colleague surprisingly, this photographer is a young girl but shoots like a man???

After looking at some of their works, John Clang have enlightened me that there's more to photography! Cheers my man!

Does Mr John Clang knows Mr Roy Zhang?

Roy Zhang was my assistant for many years. In fact he was trained by me from scratch.
I was the only one he assisted.
I'm proud of his success in Singapore :)
I remembered he was not exactly talented when he first join me but he is very determined
to make it. I was very strict to him as I expected a lot from him. He never let me down :)
Lovesss*Clang

Can I be your next assistant? I'm thinking i may be too visual to remain a copywriter
:lovegrin:

Roy Zhang was my assistant for many years. In fact he was trained by me from scratch.
I was the only one he assisted.
I'm proud of his success in Singapore :)
I remembered he was not exactly talented when he first join me but he is very determined
to make it. I was very strict to him as I expected a lot from him. He never let me down :)
Lovesss*Clang

I am astounded by Roy's success... :thumbsup: i am his school mate from his NAFA day, & a friend of his spouse...

I have met you before... i was like 17 or 18... how time flies, now i'm in my 30s. :bsmilie:

I must go to your exhibition to have a look...

I am astounded by Roy's success... :thumbsup: i am his school mate from his NAFA day, & a friend of his spouse...

I have met you before... i was like 17 or 18... how time flies, now i'm in my 30s. :bsmilie:

I must go to your exhibition to have a look...

There's an interesting story behind Roy Zhang :)
When he approached me to be my assistant, he was still in NAFA.
IIRC, it was a month or two before his graduation. I told him if he seriouslly wanted to
be trained by me, he will have to leave the school right away and give up his interior design diploma.
He was in his late 20s then and I want to make sure he still has the fire in him.
He bravely did what I ask him :)
I would consider his success now self-made. I do like this chap alot. In alot of ways, he is very similar to me. I know he is a very passionate person.
Lovelylovely*Clang

Status
Not open for further replies.