Circular polarizing filter<<help>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoya has a CPL with UV built-in. Not cheap though.
those are mainly for film... in digital UV filter just serve as a protection and can be neglected.

so cannot see the screen means it kena polarized?
meaning if u keep it tt way(dun turn anything) n shoot the sky it will be the richer blue?

hmm... means at 90 degree is where your ear is pointing at?
if i am not wrong this will give u the maximun colour richness?

just some reminders.

polarizing filter able to minimize reflections in many areas, but unable to remove reflections on metallic surface, highlights or hotspots.

if you don't believe this, then you can try on a mirror to see whether are you able to remove your own reflection.

and also, stack two polarizing filters together will not make blue sky bluer, don't believe? anyone want to try it out and tell me what will happen?
you get a lens cap? :bsmilie:

2 shot for cross ref.
img5666mediumvx4.jpg

img5667mediumpk4.jpg

i dun think i see much difference except the reflections.

you are not shooting at a nice angle. for the polariser to have the maximum effect, the sun must be at right angles from where you are pointing the lens at.

hmm... i dun get wad u mean.
right angle to where? up down or left right?
mabi a diagram might help me?
thks ;)

hmm... i dun get wad u mean.
right angle to where? up down or left right?
mabi a diagram might help me?
thks ;)

for example, if the sun is above you, basically, everything you shoot at the horizon will have that nice "polarised" effect, cos the horizon is at right angle to the sun.

i get it.
but u dun necessarily nd to folo tt rule right?
n one more thing if the sun is setting on the horizon then the max effect is there when i shoot right up into the sky?

i get it.
but u dun necessarily nd to folo tt rule right?
n one more thing if the sun is setting on the horizon then the max effect is there when i shoot right up into the sky?

haha, yeah, so basically, the polariser is useless at this times. people loves to use polarisers at around noon.

i see so if u takign a sunset then its no use coz the sun will be in the frame?

hmm... i dun get wad is in the link??hyperphysics or sumthing?

hmm... i dun get wad is in the link??hyperphysics or sumthing?

hmmm.........the part about polarization by reflection. basically, the angle we are trying to find is a brewster angle. and that angle, reflected light from the sun off your subjects is perfectly linearly polarised. so this allows maximum blockage of reflected light off your subjects, thus increasing contrast on your picture.

hmmm.........the part about polarization by reflection. basically, the angle we are trying to find is a brewster angle. and that angle, reflected light from the sun off your subjects is perfectly linearly polarised. so this allows maximum blockage of reflected light off your subjects, thus increasing contrast on your picture.

i see
so mainly it's the reflection problem la

i see
so mainly it's the reflection problem la

yeah. why polariser makes grass greener and sky blue is because it blocks out reflection from the foilage and reduces light from the sky (light that "glares" the blue sky to make it white, which is what you dun want).

edit: why it reduces light from sky is because the light you see in a clear blue sky is actually partially polarised too.

2 shot for cross ref.

i dun think i see much difference except the reflections.
The neighbouring block sure looks better w/o the reflection (1st pic). Anyways the sky in the 1st pic looks darker, i tink it's not because of the effect of the filter, but the presence of the filter.

yeah. why polariser makes grass greener and sky blue is because it blocks out reflection from the foilage and reduces light from the sky (light that "glares" the blue sky to make it white, which is what you dun want).

edit: why it reduces light from sky is because the light you see in a clear blue sky is actually partially polarised too.

Could it be due to the timing?

As in, TS took the photo in a cloudly (read:not bright or sunny) day?

OT a bit,

1) Do we really need to turn the cir pol filter even though it isnt a gradual type?
2) How much for a ultra thin UV filter? I dun bare to take my UV filter out and change to Cir Pol. Troublesome also....

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.