Circular Polarizer - You must own one?

You must own one CPL filter?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you failed to mention the size you require?

I believe you failed to mention the size you require?

Also worth noting: there are slim versions (no front thread but comes with additional cover to replace normal lens cap) and the normal versions.
Regarding MS: you can get an e-quote from them, that's clear and precise.

any one whether Honya Pro1D CPL pricing and the normal Honya CPL ??
I thinking of buying one but the price difiference was confusing.
was quote in 1 shop in Funan ~$130 for Honya Pro1D and $200 when called to MS.
Also i see the mass sale price here ~$75....

what is the reasonable price ???

Maybe this price thread will help:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4693428&postcount=128

black_knights.jpg

resized and auto levels applied.

no CPL

a sky will look blue in pictures if it's blue. CPL accentuates it, but u can mimic in PP. if the sky is not blue, CPL is not much help anyway.

a more important use of CPL is to reduce reflections off reflective surfaces. if u wanna take pix of fish under water, CPL is mighty useful.

that said, i found it fun to use and a novelty, but i didn't get a CPL for the lenses i have now. don't really see the need.

I am using Hoya PL-CIR + Hoya Pro1Digtial Protector 58mm on my S5 IS. :)
It helps to reduce a little bit of sunlight when I want to shoot at bigger aperture at a slower shutter speed also.

Last edited:
I think it's a must but I haven't get it yet.

bccf1cc0.jpg

if only i had a CPL i think this pic might look better so i guess is a need

The technique of using it must be there. CPLs are best used when taken at an angle to the sun (90 degrees). I'm using a slim B+W on my 5d mark ii and i have to remove my UV filter even as it vignettes badly at 17mm. Otherwise no big difference stacked or not stacked.

B+Ws to me are absolutely fantastic.

I havent done enough study and that's true, I'll tried google for tutorial, but a fast question, what white balance you used to take that photo?

I have a Hoya CPL. Knew it before I had it that I will rarely use it, indeed I rarely make use of it, but so far have only used it once for removing reflections and would guess it's the only thing I'd use a CPL for. :D

any one whether Honya Pro1D CPL pricing and the normal Honya CPL ??
I thinking of buying one but the price difiference was confusing.
was quote in 1 shop in Funan ~$130 for Honya Pro1D and $200 when called to MS.
Also i see the mass sale price here ~$75....

what is the reasonable price ???

i bought the HOYA Pro 1D for $120from MS colour but after ask for some discount as i bought together with one lens they give me at $95/-

I use Nikon Cpl2....CPL is useful when you want to cut down the reflection and glare...other than that, it can also enhance the color saturation like ND filter (in case you do not have 1) since it cuts light at about 1 stop....I also use it once to shoot hand hell on waterfall under gloomy day as my ND is actually 2~4 stops....that is too much :sweat:

CPL not only can be used to take a blue sky. Understand what CPL really do, it is limitless functional tool.
For example, you want to take a pic of what is displayed on the LCD screen, you can adjust CPL such that it is the clear and without glare.
You wish to take a pics of fishes in a pool with the sun behind you. CPL can remove the reflection of you and sun.
Taking a pic of a subject behind glass plane. It is limitless....

Enjoy playing with ur CPL.

Yup, must have. I use Hoya (52mm) and B+W (67mm).
As the size isn't big, it's not expensive to get better brands.

I'm thinking of getting a CPL for my lenses but I realized the threads are different.
I own a Cokin P system filter holder and I wonder would it be better if I bought a cokin slot in CPL and buy an adapter for my other lens instead? It would be much cheaper I guess from the looks of the prices @ the price lists.. haha..

i have a 77mm b+w kaesemann CPL that i bought over two years ago for around AUD$180. it helps me get nice blue skies.

without PS
vdploz.jpg

with some PS
2jenxjd.jpg

got a hoya circular polarizer last yr... pretty underutilized.. ;p

but it's very useful for landscape shoot with lots of sky area and reflection shoot (glass/water) ...

but can't get the quality dan_1337 picture!! :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.