Church shoot: advise needed fast=)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dehuis

Mar 10, 2003
everton park
Visit site
just been given a chance to shoot a father conducting mass in the evening at 5pm. its an old catholic church with beautiful stain glass and also the light rays filter in at that time casting shadows on the walls.
very beautiful and the father uses incense and so teh smoke gets mixed in light and the dust particles can be seen floating..get the idea? really really beautiful.
i shooting using film. any advise on metering and such would be much appreciated.. me newbie and dun wanna screw up this chance. will be bracketing practically all the shots but also appreciate any tips and advise. hopeully pics turn out well, can post them up!

gonna blow the pics up to 8R was actually thinking of iso 400 coz worried abt grainy. is 800 meeded? if so i'll use 800.

fuji press800, no push, no pull, no exposure compensation
or
fuji superia colour xtra with exposure compensation set at either: -1/2 or -2/3

dont use flash

use spot metering

if u want less fuss then bracket : -1/2, 0, 1/2 for each shot

use f1.8 lens (not all the time at f1.8 of coz)

hey, i can still remember visiting your church with you that afternoon, and i can remember how dark in was inside although it was quite bright and sunny out. Anything less than iso 800 and f1.8 is very very difficult unless you have tripod for hands. Tripod will not really help as there will be alot of movements in the church, long exposure will only lead to motion blur.

You need a fast film, no doubts about it. In fact, i think you better go for the 800 or faster films like 1600 just to give yourself some leeway. As for grains, i think that films today are very well made, and they are definitely not as grainly as b4. As the end of the day , you'll have to decide what's more important. Grains or Blur photo?

By the way, i;'ve tried fuji press 800, although i;ve printed only 4R, i cant really make out the grains. Dun know what'll happen if you push it.

Hi, yup perhaps you should get some Press 800. If on the spot you find that it's still not fast enough then push it to 1600. I've tried using Press 800 pushed to 1600 and Superia Extra 1600 and the former performs better.

I shot at Kelly Chan's party with the above film and managed to get speeds like 1/90 to 1/180 at f2.8, while partial metering on her face. The lighting was quite dim then. By induction, I'd guess that ISO800 with your f1.8 lens should give you good shutter speeds to work with in the church.

If you wish, please visit my website and click on "series" to see the Kelly Chan shots mentioned above.

thks for the advise... not so worried abt speed coz would be using tripod and at one place only so not moving ard much. more concerned abt the exposure in dim light coz gonn abe under pretty contrasting light conditions.

Originally posted by Tweek
Hi, yup perhaps you should get some Press 800. If on the spot you find that it's still not fast enough then push it to 1600. I've tried using Press 800 pushed to 1600 and Superia Extra 1600 and the former performs better.

I shot at Kelly Chan's party with the above film and managed to get speeds like 1/90 to 1/180 at f2.8, while partial metering on her face. The lighting was quite dim then. By induction, I'd guess that ISO800 with your f1.8 lens should give you good shutter speeds to work with in the church.

If you wish, please visit my website and click on "series" to see the Kelly Chan shots mentioned above.

Hey tweek, the Kelly Chan concert was shot without flash? so you were using Fuji 1600? good stuff, also like the cemetery shots, expecially the one with a cap. :thumbsup:

btw, why partial metering on the face, instead of spot? thanks!

thks for all the help guys...
should be getting 800 film and tripod mount some more. hope it goes well. shall post once the pics come out.

do note the specific film mentioned. not all IS800 films give the same quality and performance.

AAHHH
after rushinga nd getting everything.. today no set so no light so no shoot light. toook a roll to see the metering how anyway. next time.....
thks for all teh replies

Originally posted by fruitybix
Hey tweek, the Kelly Chan concert was shot without flash? so you were using Fuji 1600? good stuff, also like the cemetery shots, expecially the one with a cap. :thumbsup:

btw, why partial metering on the face, instead of spot? thanks!

thanks fruity. Yup they were shot without flash, I deliberately didn't bring any. But on hindsight I should have used one for fill-in flash, cos the lighting was really too extreme. I was using one roll of Press 800 pushed to 1600, and one roll of superia 1600.

Oh, I partial metered because low to mid end Canon SLRs do not have spot metering, unlike Nikon. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.