cheap tripods, usable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SLIK PRO 330DX is good. Made of titanium alloy, quick release panhead, weights 1.5kg, 3 sections with 3-position leg angle.

i can't agree on this suggestion... without flash my body and lens is already the weight of the tripod already... i don't expect this to fit for macro use... yes the ballhead drifting is gone... but the shutter vibration issues is still going to remain unsolved...

The SLIK PRO 330DX have a maximum load of 4kg.

The SLIK PRO 330DX have a maximum load of 4kg.

max load only tell you the max it could handle without breaking... it doesn't necessary mean it could hold 4kg happily i.e. stable...

a general rule of thumb... aluminum and stainless steel made tripod should weight at least twice of your camera gear for it to be stable and happy... and most pro suggest a 2.5:1 ratio would be safe (read elsewhere, I'm just a newbie)...

or if you could afford carbon fiber, then the ratio could drop to 1.5:1 or some really good one can reach 1:1... also, carbon fiber absorb vibration faster so that you won't have trouble with shutter vibration...

but since you had bought it... just use it till it break or till you feel limited... i'm gonna use my 120 bucks idiot tripod till it fall apart or till i got enough for proper ball head and tripod...

If you can afford it and can take the weight, of course go for the the 2.5:1 ratio.

But I feel weight of the tripod is only one of the factors for stability. The more important factors are footprint of tripod, weight distribution, structural integrity of the design, stiffness of the structure/materia, joints stability and stability of the connections and parts. I have used very light tripods which are incredibly stable and I have used incredibly heavy tripods which are totally unstable. It all depends.

Also, max load is NOT the max weight the tripod can handle without breaking. If that is the manufacturer's definition, I will be very worried. It is the max weight for the tripod to be usable and more or less stable.

max load only tell you the max it could handle without breaking... it doesn't necessary mean it could hold 4kg happily i.e. stable...

a general rule of thumb... aluminum and stainless steel made tripod should weight at least twice of your camera gear for it to be stable and happy... and most pro suggest a 2.5:1 ratio would be safe (read elsewhere, I'm just a newbie)...

or if you could afford carbon fiber, then the ratio could drop to 1.5:1 or some really good one can reach 1:1... also, carbon fiber absorb vibration faster so that you won't have trouble with shutter vibration...

but since you had bought it... just use it till it break or till you feel limited... i'm gonna use my 120 bucks idiot tripod till it fall apart or till i got enough for proper ball head and tripod...

Status
Not open for further replies.