cheap, genius photographer for rom day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordecai

Feb 26, 2007
overherd.net
hi guys,

I've got a tough decision to make and I was hoping I could get some help here.

you see, I'm getting married and the solemnization is next year. My fiancee and I got a really nice venue and everything, but we really want to keep things as low cost as possible, even though we've got a couple of extravagant ideas (including getting a harpist! dunno how that's gonna work out).

so on the photography front, I'd decided to approach a good friend of mine. a couple of things are holding me back. firstly, I want him to relax and have a good time instead of running around, snapping shots. secondly, I'm not sure if he's up to the job.

the photographs are extremely important, so we don't want to have any regrets.

I searched online and found a respectable photographer (photojournalistic style - I'm a sucker for it) who charges $1000 for 4 hours for the ROM day. my fiancee thinks it's too expensive. she's probably right. we do have the honeymoon to consider, after all!

so what do I do? is there anyone whom you guys can recommend? some undiscovered genius who wouldn't charge an arm and a leg? or should I risk it with my friend?

please help?

p.s. oh and if you've got a harpist to recommend, I'm all ears :) thanks again!

Forget about the harpist and get a good photographer! $1K for 4 hours is not that outrageous. Not delivering the pictures you want to cherish is "priceless".

And don't go stress out your friend. No easier way to destroy a friendship. And if your friend is shooting, he will nto be able to enjoy the wedding.

Last edited:
The harpist, assuming a good one, is going to cost as much as, if not more than, a good photographer.

$1k is pretty standard for professional photographers. If he's giving you prints as well, then it seems pretty reasonable. I've got a friend who engaged a photographer from a studio for $500, but got really upset with the photos that was returned to her. Not sure if its because the photographer decided its not worth so much of his time and effort, or its simply because his standard wasn't that high (hence the low price). There are many free lance photographers here in CS that offer their services at the 500-700 price range. No doubt some of them are really good albeit not being a professional... Do your homework if you want good and cheap. Check out their portfolio in detail, and focus on ROM photos.

As for your friend, if he's a good friend, then why should you "risk it with [your] friend"? He's doing you a favor - its not easy taking pictures the entire day and then processing them over 1-2weeks after that day. If you don't like the photos - don't get me wrong. He might be a good photographer, just that you don't like his style, you're not going to be happy with him, and this sours your friendship.

Unless your friend is a full time photographer i will not suggest using him for this special day (unless you don't see this day important).
I have nothing to do with photographer "Paiman74 " but he is quite cheap. Check his website http://www.paimanstudios.sg/.

A few months down the road, nobody's going to remember much about the harpist, or what she played.

Photographs can last for many generations.

A lot of people seem to place the photographer low on the list of priorities. You can have all your extravagant ideas and plans, but memories fade fast. In fact, faster than you realise because on that day, you're going to be so busy that you won't have time to remember the details.

Spend more, get a good photographer, and he/she will make even the most modest-looking wedding look special. Want cheap and good? Maybe you can find one, but in most cases, you do get what you pay for...

Have you budgeted for hiring a wedding videographer as well?

I hate to say this as well, no one going to remember what the harpist played unless she is your sister. Well, I do not think you will remember as well IF the harpist is your sister. My client told me that!

$250 per hour is not as expensive as some of us charge. I think you getting a great deal at 1k if you like the photographer's style. Seriously think what you want to impress and what you think can be kept for a long time if its done beautifully.

Cheers!

Choices choices choices.

If the wedding day photos are important to you, better to pay more.

Saving on costs is important, but adding unknowns to your wedding day like a totally uknown and unproven photographer is not wise. In the end, it might ruin everything you worked so hard to make perfect.

How about hiring a violinist instead of a harpist? Or just get harp music on a CD and get it played. But thinking back, I attended a friend's wedding back in the late 90s and they had a solo harpist doing all the music. Against a garden wedding in a private winery, it was very very nice. Worth considering too.

If you are very cheapskate, you can invite all the new blood photographers here from club snap to be "backup" photographers for your event. Since they want to do some wedding photography for experience, and you pay them a token fee, and they can buff their portfolio. Like that u can get maybe 10 more happy shooters to cover your wedding. Of course dun forget your main guy =P

If you are very cheapskate, you can invite all the new blood photographers here from club snap to be "backup" photographers for your event. Since they want to do some wedding photography for experience, and you pay them a token fee, and they can buff their portfolio. Like that u can get maybe 10 more happy shooters to cover your wedding. Of course dun forget your main guy =P

That might be turned out hard for the main guy as he will have less chance to focus or get a good shooting spot. At the end he might not be able to deliver his best skill and you will get thousands of new blood photos :p. Do the statistic, you might get a few good pics. It's like playing 4D :p.

You should go with 1 main guy, then 1 or 2 back-ups :p

OT here
haha. invite 50 new blood come. HAHAHA. shiok ar. i think u will review photo until vomit blood.

Hi there,

I'm interested to be your ROM photographer. I have sent you a private message with my details. You can contact me at versionsix@gmail.com. Thanks!

Hi there,

I'm interested to be your photographer, sent you a private message.
Thank you 8D

if the photographer is genius, why would he or she charge cheaply...

why dun u get ur own friends and relatives help to take pics...free + they will give u ang pao...u'll feel like a genius
so many angles covered, so many camera-man/woman, good wedding and harpist....you're a champion already

Cheers!

Care to share whats listed within that $1000 package?

hi guys,

the photographs are extremely important, so we don't want to have any regrets.

So dont..... you want your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren to 'feel' the ocassion 30-50 years down the road

I dont think you'll be able to ask for a re-shoot of ROM

Also, with a good maticulate photographer, he does not just turn up and shoot. You will need to discuss your 'vision' and other ideas with him before the happy day itself.

If you want to have your cake and eat it too...... its not going to happen, unfortunately

However, I will suggest asking for more 'soft dollar' goodies instead of just going for the price jugular..... eg add a little extra time before or after the official timings ... X number more images, ... throw in a few outdoor posed images somewhere nearby etc etc

Or if your actual day is near enough to ROM.... work out an overall ROM/Actual Day package.... should work out better for all involved

And if the photographer is a 'Real Genius'.... he will be in demand.... you will need to lock him up for the shoot early .... he will have enough jobs to keep him busy enough

Good luck ! :)

this would be a repeat of what many of the others here have already stated... here goes, if you really want some good shots, i suggest u bite the bullet and fork out the money.... it might be a bitter pill now but i'm sure you would think its worth it down the road....

if ur budget is tight, look for other photogs that have a similar style but charges lower but pls dun pay peanuts... you might really get monkeys....

just to state an example (this happened to my close frien), he signed up with a wedding package from a wedding boutique that was bought over by a well known photog, the package included the studio stuff, gowns and even AD photography, total ard 3k.... if you know the market, just the wedding package without AD photog is alrdy 2-3k or even more.... so u can roughly guage how much the AD photog is paid....

my frien, even though he had previously decided on hiring an outside AD photog, eventually went for the AD photog included in the package thinking it was a good deal and since the boutique is owned by this famous photog, how bad can the AD photog be..... Boy, was he wrong..... the pictures turned out BAD!!! exposure wrong, composition wrong... and now they have nothing good to show.... and everytime they bring out the pics, they regret not hiring the other photog...

i'm not saying you have to spend thousands but take the time to choose one within ur budget and whose pics can bring you joy, dun end up sighing everytime you bring out your future wedding album....

I think you are joking? It would be a nightmare for the main guy when everyone gets in the way.

To the TS, you have come to the correct place to look for cheap photographers and I am sure you have plenty who have responded to you.

Good luck and thread closed as you probably have what you wanted - cheap photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.