changes...shutter/aperture

Status
Not open for further replies.

roosevelt

Jan 22, 2004
Bukit panjang
Hi...
i like to take some landscape photographs but i'm wandering do we realli need to care so much on the shutter speed and aperture when we go around taking photos???is there a std like that day...i wounld use f11 and shutter speed 250 in the morning till afternoon and use maybe f3.5/60 during some nite shoot?cos i got a problem change my shutter speed and aperture and in the end miss out some nice quick shot....is there anything that i can do...please help!!!

roosevelt said:
Hi...
i like to take some landscape photographs but i'm wandering do we realli need to care so much on the shutter speed and aperture when we go around taking photos???is there a std like that day...i wounld use f11 and shutter speed 250 in the morning till afternoon and use maybe f3.5/60 during some nite shoot?cos i got a problem change my shutter speed and aperture and in the end miss out some nice quick shot....is there anything that i can do...please help!!!
Shutter and Aperture are completely irrelevent to time IMHO. Use both to get an effect you want, and not because the time calls for it... When you want to take a portrait of someone in the day and want background blur, you wouldn't set f/11 would you? You might want a larger aperture for that effect.

Cheers

roosevelt said:
Hi...

All I can say is know your camera and learn to anticipate. If you saw a shot with your eyes and not your viewfinder, you've missed it already.

Depending on the lightning conditions and the composition of your picture, as well as the particular effect you are trying to achieve, there is no one 'standard' exposure setting. Given the same scene, eg a waterfall, guy A might use a fast shutter speed to freeze the water to get a sense of dynamism while guy B might use a slow shutter speed to get a sense of serene flow.

If you just want nice sharp pictures, try using the axiom 'f8 and be there'.

However I think you are using an FM3A (am I right?), which has an Aperture priority mode. Try using this mode (changing aperture can be done very quickly without taking your eyes off the viewfinder), set focussing on the lens at infinity or use the hyperfocal distance method of focussing, and just shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.