CF price fluctuate a lot. Is it a good time to buy now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
As above, as i'm a film user who don't follow the prices of CF at all. Recently might be getting a DSLR. So is it a good time to acquire CF at this time?

all electronic stuff prices fluctuate a lot due to technological advances.

Buy if you need them. :D

I'm not very sure if CF prices follows the prices of computer RAM prices.

But there used to be times when i paid dirt cheap for my RAM, and months later, the price increase to nearly twice the original, then drop again.

So i wonder if this applies to CF?

IMHO RAM technology is not as fast.

Probably you should compare it to other storage? Like harddisk prices. Once they were sky high, another minute they are dirt cheap blah blah.

I guess it applies everywhere. Company close down, sell cheap, someone buy over, prices increase. Supply and demand? But then market forces will always somehow force an equilibrium.

As the item gets obsolete, then it goes cheap.

Anyhow, I've not seen the prices of storage increase....... Haiz, reminds me that I paid a bomb for my 3gig hardisk :(

behyx said:
As above, as i'm a film user who don't follow the prices of CF at all. Recently might be getting a DSLR. So is it a good time to acquire CF at this time?

Think you should just get the CF when you need it. No point buying it now when you don't need it. Prices do fluctuate quite a bit. And perhaps later when u do decide to get a DSLR they change media and use something else instead of CF cards...:)

My 2cents worth:
Buy only when you need it or when there is a bloody good offer. Why? In long term, storage will become cheaper, whatever the media, be it HD, CF or even floppy :D . Short term, there are fluctuations due to supply/demand micro issues, unless there is a control on the supply to maintain the prices.

This does not even take into account inflation...

As for CF going out, it will be rather difficult. Right now, it has the best cost/mb vs size (both physical and capacity-wise). I have not seen any challenger in the next 2-3 yrs that can beat it, the closest is SD with its size and popularity with the P&S lower-MP digicams. But with everyone in the MP chase, it is hard to sell a SD for about the price of your camera... :rolleyes: With more higher MP cameras using it, CF standard will be harder to dislodge...

Status
Not open for further replies.