CF cards for EOS 40D

Status
Not open for further replies.

xientist

Jan 20, 2009
Hey guys! I'm kinda new here.

I just bought a new 40D and was hoping to get a budget-ly good CF card. Budget is probably about $100 since I've spend alot on my dry cabi, lens and bag.

I read DPreview and notices there's a noticeable speed difference between the Sandisk Extreme III and Extreme IV and was wondering if the price is worth the difference. I think I do need some burst shots from time to time and I don't really like to wait for my pictures to load up to the card.

If not, is there other CF cards you guys would kindly recommend?

Thanks in advance!

The Sandisk Extreme III 8GB is more than enough for me:)

do you shoot till your buffer is full all the time? if not, extreme III or even II is good enough.

You can check this website: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
Lots of performance data for many cards. As you an see, even normal 133x cards are not slower in the 450D than Extreme III. The difference only becomes obvious once you put the card into the card reader connected to computer. Decide for yourself if faster download from card (maybe saving 1 minute for full card?) justifies the price for the faster card.

Just nice for me to give you my experience for Extreme iii vs extreme iv. I've been using Extreme iii 4GB (30MB/s) since I own my 40D and it has been serving me very well. But since I shoot only in RAW, I realise my 4GB is quite limiting.

Yesterday, I just bought an extreme iv (45MB/s) 8GB from Alan photo. But, after extensive testing... the extreme iv yields no noticeable benefits at all!!!! The frame rate, buffer full time, etc remains the same. I'll rather get extreme iii 8GB if I knew right from the start!!!

My previous experience explains Extreme III is the best card you can get for your 40D. Ducati or Extreme IV won't be much of a difference unless your camera supports UDMA writing which 40D doesn't. With $100 bucks, you can get either 2x 4GB EIII or 1x 8GB EIII.

Last edited:
Alright thanks alot guys for the replies! I think I should start with the Extreme III 4GB first then when there's a need, I'll get another one further down the road!
Thanks all for your replies!

Yesterday, I just bought an extreme iv (45MB/s) 8GB from Alan photo. But, after extensive testing... the extreme iv yields no noticeable benefits at all!!!! The frame rate, buffer full time, etc remains the same. I'll rather get extreme iii 8GB if I knew right from the start!!!

The interface of the camera is the limiting factor. If the camera cannot deliver the data faster then the capabilities of the card are wasted for that process.

I am using SD to CF adapter, so far so good.

Haven't tried bursting the shots, not a sports photographer.

In the long run the adapter will save some money because SD card is generally cheaper than CF.

I just bought a new 40D and was hoping to get a budget-ly good CF card. Budget is probably about $100 since I've spend alot on my dry cabi, lens and bag.

I read DPreview and notices there's a noticeable speed difference between the Sandisk Extreme III and Extreme IV and was wondering if the price is worth the difference. I think I do need some burst shots from time to time and I don't really like to wait for my pictures to load up to the card.

Thanks in advance!

Xientist,

If your're rich, just get Xtreme IV.
If u're man in the street, get Xtreme III- Performance is fast enuff, and price so much cheaper, about $75-$80 (dunno if lower now).

Xtreme 4 = BMW 335 ($230,000) 0-100kph in 5.5sec
Xtreme 3 = Civic Type R ($100,000) 0-100kph in 6.6sec

:bsmilie:

gunawan said:
If you're rich and smart, stick to Extreme III. Don't bother with Extreme IV if you're using 40D cuz the writing speed from body to the CF Card cannot match up to the card speed so it's pretty much pointless. Might as well use the extra cash to get more Extreme III cards.

Xientist,

If u're man in the street, get Xtreme III- Performance is fast enuff, and price so much cheaper, about $75-$80 (dunno if lower now).

Xtreme 4 = BMW 335 ($230,000) 0-100kph in 5.5sec
Xtreme 3 = Civic Type R ($100,000) 0-100kph in 6.6sec

:bsmilie:

Quite a good analogy, but speed limit is 90 KM/H.......:bsmilie:

If you're rich and smart, stick to Extreme III. Don't bother with Extreme IV if you're using 40D cuz the writing speed from body to the CF Card cannot match up to the card speed so it's pretty much pointless. Might as well use the extra cash to get more Extreme III cards.

THe extreme III is definitely good enough, extreme IV is for people who have more money to waste :bsmilie:

As you can see, the max writing speed for this camera is about 11MB/s and the Extreme III 4GB and 8GB are capable of writing up to 30mb/s. Which means, any card faster is pointless to get. Might as well spend on getting more capacity. Ultra II on the other hand is no slouch, but having Extreme III will help you in burst mode.

It depends on what you are shooting.

Kingston is more value for money and more than enough for general shooting (incl. HD video); 16GB for S$55 (less than half the price of SandDisk III).

I use it on my 5Dmk2.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.