CF Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beyblade

Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
Dear all,

being new to digital photography, appreciate your advice which barnd of CF card is better ? Kingston, Sandisk, Pendrive ? Sandisk seems to be the most expensive among the three. Also, does speed matter that much, if you are using DSLR ? If you use 40x or 60x, or 133x, does it make a noticeable diff ? Comments appreciated. tq. :)

Get a normal Kingston if you are on a budget and speed doesn't really matter to you.

Get a Lexar or Sandisk Ultra II/Sandisk Extreme III, if you feel speed is crucial.

Remember, buy what you need and not what you want.

I have found the Kingston Elite pro series to be a good value card for a balance between speed and price.

I have a slightly different opinion here, regardless of the speed your camera is able to write to the card, get the fastest and largest capacity CF card you can afford now.

My argument is the same as with lens(es), get the best you can afford cos when you change/upgrade camera, you can still use the CF card or lens(es). Well, that is assuming you're still upgrading to a camera that uses CF card which is quite a safe assumption with DSLRs. Somehow, CF card are here to stay.

Scandisk seem to be a better performer, buy the fasters if you can affort. I have change a few camera without changing my CF card. You will surprise see the speed diff between a slow and a fast card but subject to your cam write performance.

Get Lexar or Sandisk, Kingston's and others are too slow especially on DSLR though they may be cheaper by a few dollars.

I'm using a Sandisk Ultra II and am satisfied with its performance. Zippy when used in a 350D. If I do buy another it'll prob. be the same!

Another factor is durability and reliability. Sandisk's range seems to be a lot tougher than the competition though I haven't heard of anyone trying to verify this.

drumma said:
quite a few brands offer lifetime warranty like lexar.

speed does matter if u have a camera which has a fast writing speed as well. no point if ur camera is writing at 1mb/s and u have a 80x card.

maybe this site will help alot yeah?

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

cheers!

thanks to all for your comments. still "blur!" though.
1. How to know the "writing speed" of the camera ? I intend to buy a KM 7D.
2. How does the writing speed of the camera ( in mb/s say ) relate to the speed of the CF card ( say, 60x ).

tq again and look forward to your further advice. :confused:

1) Check out the more comprehensive review sites like www.dpreview.com.
They usually test the read/write speed of the camera as well.

2) Generally the faster your card, the faster your camera can write to it. Comparisons are relative. ie. Same card, slot in different cameras to compare speed of cam, same cam diff cards to compare speed of card. Many factors will affect the read/write speed so absolute values are quite meaningless. They serve only as a gauge.

I use all 3 and of diff grade, after the 6 shots buffer is used up in my 20D, nomatter which card I use, I can still only take subsequent pictures at 1.5 to 2 seconds per frame. Increasing to 1.25 seconds or even 1 second does not really improve my or most of yours ability to take picture. Now, downloading, the faster card definately has a big advantage.

i tot u also have to know which model u are using... some cf cards do not work well with a particular model, ie 350D and Lexar ...

Status
Not open for further replies.