CF Card Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aimevous

Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

Sometimes when I take photos, after a couple of shots, I have to wait a while before I can take more, especially after it wakes from power-saving mode. I know that's probably because of the camera buffer, but I'm wondering if my CF card is slow too. When I bought my DSLR, it came with two Kingston Elite Pro 133x 8gb CF cards. I did a Google search on them and it was supposedly giving 20mb/s transfer speed.

http://www.kingston.com/flash/x/default.asp

Isn't that relatively fast? I mean since a RAW file is roughly 10mb at 10mpx. So why is it that I have to wait like almost 2s? Is it the CF card or the camera?

Are the Sandisk ones any faster? Looking from HWZ's pricelist, it states they have a min 9mb write speed. What are the CF cards you guys are using?

I'm using a Sony A200.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Good evening,

They don't have one (yet) for the Sony A200 but here's a guide of where the Kingston Elite Pro stands:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9652

Hi,

Sometimes when I take photos, after a couple of shots, I have to wait a while before I can take more, especially after it wakes from power-saving mode. I know that's probably because of the camera buffer, but I'm wondering if my CF card is slow too. When I bought my DSLR, it came with two Kingston Elite Pro 133x 8gb CF cards. I did a Google search on them and it was supposedly giving 20mb/s transfer speed.

http://www.kingston.com/flash/x/default.asp

Isn't that relatively fast? I mean since a RAW file is roughly 10mb at 10mpx. So why is it that I have to wait like almost 2s? Is it the CF card or the camera?

Are the Sandisk ones any faster? Looking from HWZ's pricelist, it states they have a min 9mb write speed. What are the CF cards you guys are using?

I'm using a Sony A200.

Thanks!

So does this mean the CF card is not up to speed?

Hmm.. any idea where I can find the prices of the faster cards?

Thanks!

I suggest you go to MS Color and get a nice Sandisk Extreme III or IV.

I recently found out that there are faster CF speed beyond Extreme 4. Not 5 or 6.

Just the single word EXTREME. More for Pros I guess or for newer cameras with Full HD Video capabilities. But prepare to fork out more $. :bigeyes:

Yeah, those are the very new ones from SanDisk but I guess unless your camera supports high-writing speeds like UDMA mode available in models like Canon 50D, 5D Mark II etc, it's pretty much pointless to get such cards. I find the Extreme III (30mb/s edition)to be the best value for price, speed and capacity - so much so I downgraded my Ducatis to Extreme IIIs.

I believe the best value for money cards so far are the new Photofast ones. Even the 366x cards are UDMA.

I believe the best value for money cards so far are the new Photofast ones. Even the 366x cards are UDMA.

And we know nothing about their reliability. So if you want to trust your images to an untrusted CF brand...

For reliability, nothing beats SanDisk. :thumbsup:

Agree. I am using an a300 and the following is from a book by Shawn Barnett

Because the Sony A300/A350 does not support UDMA (Ultra Direct Memory Access, a high speed memory addressing protocol), you don’t need anything like a 266x or 300x memory card, because the camera cannot use all that speed. It’s probably limited to 133x write speed, so to save money, stick with something of that speed rating or a SanDisk Extreme III.

Suggest you check your camera specifications :)

Yeah, those are the very new ones from SanDisk but I guess unless your camera supports high-writing speeds like UDMA mode available in models like Canon 50D, 5D Mark II etc, it's pretty much pointless to get such cards. I find the Extreme III (30mb/s edition)to be the best value for price, speed and capacity - so much so I downgraded my Ducatis to Extreme IIIs.

I recently found out that there are faster CF speed beyond Extreme 4. Not 5 or 6.

Just the single word EXTREME. More for Pros I guess or for newer cameras with Full HD Video capabilities. But prepare to fork out more $. :bigeyes:

latest are the EXTREME PRO, so far so good , clears my camera buffer even when shooting RAW really2 fast .

And we know nothing about their reliability. So if you want to trust your images to an untrusted CF brand...

Untrusted CF brand? I recommend you do your own research before spouting out like that. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.