CD lost data

Status
Not open for further replies.

littledigitalartist

Aug 2, 2004
holland vee
dear friends... i have burn my data onto a CD, and at that point of time, data is certified burnt (burn is successful, and data checked on another comp) subsequently a few days later, all the CDs all unable to be read!!!!!:cry: :'( anyone can help??? i've tried a few CD recovery software already, or does anyone have very good ones?? i dun mind paying for a professional software if needed... pls advice... :bheart: :bheart: breaking down now... :cry:

It happens. Sometimes if the CD 'ink' is poor, the burnt image on it doesn't last very long. Always use reliable brand CDs (I use Imation). You should also back-up CDs into at least 2 copies, in case one gets scratched. Be prepared to copy entire CDs into new ones every 5 years, or the 'ink' might fade.

Your current CD, which seems to be unreadable, may have little hope of recovery, especially if the 'ink' has faded. What you need may not be good software but good hardware.

All the best.

What brand was the CD?

any possibility the CDrom drive is faulty this time? how about try with another CDrom drive hopefully nothing wrong with all your burned backup CDrom. I know there is software that can recover the lost data from harddisk, but i not sure if there is any software that can recover data from CDrom.

yowch said:
It happens. Sometimes if the CD 'ink' is poor, the burnt image on it doesn't last very long. Always use reliable brand CDs (I use Imation). You should also back-up CDs into at least 2 copies, in case one gets scratched. Be prepared to copy entire CDs into new ones every 5 years, or the 'ink' might fade.

Your current CD, which seems to be unreadable, may have little hope of recovery, especially if the 'ink' has faded. What you need may not be good software but good hardware.

All the best.

the data retention component is commonly referred to as 'dye'. storing it in cool, dark place will prolong its lifespan.

Did you happen to write anything on the CD's? If so, what pen did you use?

littledigitalartist said:
dear friends... i have burn my data onto a CD, and at that point of time, data is certified burnt (burn is successful, and data checked on another comp) subsequently a few days later, all the CDs all unable to be read!!!!!:cry: :'( anyone can help??? i've tried a few CD recovery software already, or does anyone have very good ones?? i dun mind paying for a professional software if needed... pls advice... :bheart: :bheart: breaking down now... :cry:

Do a google search? there's a software that i know can jus read all the info on the CD regardless of whether the data is corrupted then you can go and try to sort out. but if the file is really corrupted then its gone.
try keywords like data and cd i guess heh
I can help search if you want.. jus pm me..

another possibility is that you have a multi track CD (did you burn files to the CD twice?)
if you did maybe the files are there.. you jus need to find a CDrom that can read it..
(i have two drives on my comp cos of this. realised my cd burner can't read multi session disks
dun ask me why its so stupid.. haha

you mean "ALL" the CDs? if that the case i think it should be the problem with the drive and not the CD

dear friends... thanks for all your concerns... i tried with 2 different drives to burn.. and more than 5 drives to read it AFTER it spoills... but it cant seems to read... :cry: it is a brand being sold in popular... :cry: yah i suspect its the dye... coz instead of a ring, some of the CD shows a blot, a patch... all my pics, all gone!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: is there no way at all to savage even abit???

dear friends... thanks for all your concerns... i tried with 2 different drives to burn.. and more than 5 drives to read it AFTER it spoills... but it cant seems to read... :cry: it is a brand being sold in popular... :cry: yah i suspect its the dye... coz instead of a ring, some of the CD shows a blot, a patch... all my pics, all gone!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: is there no way at all to savage even abit???

I don't know all and I've only successfully recovered data from a faulty HDD before but here's my take :

I know Optical storage medias are quite different from HDD and their data recovery is more difficult because the data is permanently lost if there is a change in the dye state.

Corruption of data on optical media storage could be due to exposure to light, heat and humidity.

Possible recovery :

1) put the disks into a dry cabinet or dry box to rid it off humidity and then try reading. Some people have reported marginal success e.g. 20% of all his corrupted disks

2) Use of recovery software. E.g. http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/

If the dye state of the disk has been changed drastically, then I don't think any data recovery is possible. If it's only partial, some of the data may still be recoverable if the software is able to make some right guesses about the corrupted data and repair them.

Hopes the above helps in some ways and not misleading.

Warning : The above may not be 100% correct and I shall not be responsible for any negative consequences as a result of actions taken after reading the above.

this is the prog i was talking about
http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/452810.html
http://www.trap17.com/index.php/how-recover-most-scratched-cd-data-disc_t7220.html

Bring them to me, I'll take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.