Cat Lovers please help... What to do with a week old kitten?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hang in there david..

hope baby pulls through..

stroke it and talk to it.. it may not understand our language.. but it will understand love when given..

try putting a clock with ticking sound underneath the bed.

Mummy cats usually snuggle up to their babies and their heartbeat will regulate those of their kitties as well.

HTHs. :lovegrin:

davidsim said:
things dun looks promising... last feeding was 8am this morning and till now, he is still refusing to drink... keeps sleeping and looks weak...

i will try to administer some milk into him...

must pull this one... he is a fighter since day 1...
The kitten seems to be fading. Try the glucose water solution. It will give it instant energy so that it can suckle the milk. Don't give up. Hang in there for the little one.

"A kitten that is cold should not be fed right away, rather, you should place it next to your skin and warm it. Feed it Pedialyte: 1 cc. per 2 ounces of body weight, every hour and warm slowly until the Kitten is warm and wiggling. After the kitten is warm feed it formula. When chilled the stomach and small intestines stop working and the formula will not be digested. Kidney function in newborns is 25 per cent of what it will be later. Because immature kidneys are unable to concentrate the urine kittens must excrete large amounts of dilute urine. When kittens stop nursing they dehydrate quickly therefore please consider this very valid point if your kitten loses weight, becomes chilled or otherwise fails to thrive."

"There are times, when we get these babies, they are so young they have not been with their Mom at all. Sometimes they do not suckle due to being weak or ill. This is when we must resort to tube feeding. This is not difficult but it can be deadly to the kitten if not done properly. I am including a graphic to make it easier for you to understand what it involves. You take a catheter (size 5 French for smaller kittens, 8 or 10 for larger ones) and a syringe. You weigh the baby and calculate how much formula he gets in a 24 hour period. Divide this up into 6 feedings. Measure the tube from the babies mouth to his last rib. Place a piece of tape over the end near his mouth so you know how far to insert the tube. Warm the formula and draw up the prescribed amount through the tube. Be sure there is no air in the tube. Now place the end of the tube into a bit of formula and allow the kitten to taste it - then slip it down his throat. It should go all the way to where you've marked the tube. Wait a minute to hear him cry just to insure you haven't gotten it into his lungs. Slowly inject the formula directly into his stomach. This may be the only way a baby gets nourishment. Please be sure to measure carefully and after the tube is inserted wait to hear the baby cry . Liquid directly into a babies lungs is not only an easy mistake; it's a deadly one."

Once saw this lady who owns an animal shelter did this.

She puts the kittens on her chest and they will instinctively cling on to her tee shirt for life! She will keep put a hand over them for warmth and keep them close to her heart.

Her heartbeat and body warmth reassures the kittens immediately and they stopped crying!

Think she sleeps like this at night with the kittens on her chest and a towel over them.

But be careful not to roll over and squash the baby....

The moral of the story is..... the kitten needs skin contact too!

I wrapped he in cotton towel and had been in my palm for an hr now ... but he is fading quickly... getting colder... breathing though... this is too much man...

Tried feeding but cannot anymore..

will try the glucose solution...
:cry:

Don't wrap her in cotton towel. Put her next to your skin, especially near to the heart.

sad to say.... the kitten is gone.. :cry:

was holding it for the past one hr... stroking it gently....

then put him down to go make some glucose solution and turned back, saw him foaming in the mouth... yellowish liquid.... sad day....

The kitten has fought hard for 7 days... let us give a min to say a prayer for him in our hearts...

I am very sad but grateful to all for your kind words and advises.... He will be remembered....

He is gone but this thread will remain as a reminder of this cute kit...

davidsim said:

then put him down to go make some glucose solution and turned back, saw him foaming in the mouth... yellowish liquid.... sad day....

The kitten has fought hard for 7 days... let us give a min to say a prayer for him in our hearts...

cannot believe i am crying...

Sometimes you try your best but it's just not meant to be. Take consolation that you have given it the best love, care and attention from the time you picked it up till its passing.

You actually have it very tough. Your first cat is actually a newborn kitten without a mother. But I think you had done all you can. If there is ever another chance you want to keep a cat/kitten, give me a call. I currently know of rescuers who are screening adopters.

davidsim said:

I am very sad but grateful to all for your kind words and advises.... He will be remembered....

david.. i'm sorry to learn of the passing of the baby.. :cry:

it is a tough time.. esp after u have put in so much for it and certainly bonded with it deeply.. take heart that the baby left in much love and affection.. if ur wife hadnt picked it up it would not have made it this far and it would have just died cold in the dark.. it has experienced ur love and touched ur lives.. albeit a short union for u two.. but it has etched a deep memory in ur heart..

pls hang in there..

I share your sadness deeply.

You did your part very well already.

Condolences.
tltan

I am sorry to hear that. You have tried your best...
That speak volumes for you and your wifey :cry:

May the kitty rest in peace.

Since Kitten is not around, i have got stuffs to give away...

1. Animalac Plus milk powder (only used abt 5 spoons)
2. Nursing bottle. (only used 3 times)
3. A bottle of cleansing lotion for the kitten (used once)
4. A tube of ointment for the kitten. (used once)

3 & 4 is basically for cleaning and treating rashes.

Anyone wan them can come pick it up from me at my place (Eunos Crescent) at night weekdays.

Cheers.

so sorry to hear that, you've done all you could. i am a cat lover myself..omg. i wept a little..

at least the kitten was with you for 1 week. may all the memories stayed..

take care.. dont be too sad.

:cry: That's messed up! This is my first post & I skipped from the 1st post to the last page to see what happened to the pussy-cat. Too bad! My sister had 13 cats that were born on Friday the 13th, last year, & they are ALL blk. The mom lOOks like Sylvester, though. Anyways, she fed 'em all w/a dropper, & vet-store kitten formulas. They all lived. She fed 'em every 1-2 hrs. Every time they cried, she fed 'em. I would play with all of them too. For some reason, the mom didn't want anythig to do w/'em. Weird!

My sis, as of present, has 9 left. Also, a calico came to her doorstep, 'bout 4 mos. ago, & now Goldie is part of the fam. I still wish your kitten would've pulled through. Ya never know . . . It could've been incubating something or other, since birth. :dunno:

Cheer up! I reckon' cats don't always have 9 lives. . . :confused:

Indeed it has left a deep impression on me... u know what, just now when i visited the toilet, I thought i heard it cry again... but then realized it is the sound made by the door during closure... :confused:

look around for cats to foster. If you dont mind adult ones, the shelters have plenty. And dont stop at one if you can afford it financially and your wife dont mind them. =)

162831932_bf2fd7a841.jpg

The above is a cat me and my gf is always keeping a lookout for at her void deck. Very cute and allows ppl to cuddle. Calls out cute too. But its adult and has a very nice fluffy tail. Pinky nose.

If you are interested, do let me know. Then we can bring him to the vet for sterilization (which we intended to) prior to that.

We wanted to keep him but cant as we dont have our own house....Otherwise, I think we might have 10 of them already. hehe

My wife is afraid of furry animals, so might be a little difficult to foster them....

For the kitten, it is her heart that got the better of her....
So i thought the kitten would be a good start to let my wife conquers her fear for them... but alas....

usual times, she will jump when dogs/cats approach her... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

okok. Slowly convert her. hehe. I am a convert myself. Dont like dogs and cats though not frighten of them, now love them a lot.

Good for children too. To let them know the meaning of love.

Take care bro. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.