Cat Lovers please help... What to do with a week old kitten?

Status
Not open for further replies.
furrypaws said:
Animal Clinic (Katong)

55 Lorong L Telok Kurau #01-63
Singapore 425500
Tel: 64-40-4767 Fax: 67-73-5003
email: acpte@singnet.com.sg

u can buy the formula from the vet..
or any pet lovers centre shops.. there's one at Tampines Mall.
there're some pet shops in eunos.. but i dun have the exact address. sorry
See this link for a list of vets in Singapore.

http://www.asiahomes.com/singaporepets/asiahomes_Mar9.htm

Forgot to mention that a well fed kitten should not be crying. It should be spending more than 20 hours a day sleeping. A well fed kitten will have a round tummy like a golf ball.

kiat said:
IDO NOT continue feeding it with the HL/human full cream milk. Repeat: DO NOT.

This type of milk is not suitable for kittens or puppies. The only kitten milk suitable can only be purchased from pet shops. About $16 a tin and can last you a week or 2.

try Animalac... we bottle fed 1 of ourz when he was a week or so old.... with tender loving care, the kitten can make it.

uncle_catz said:
try Animalac... we bottle fed 1 of ourz when he was a week or so old.... with tender loving care, the kitten can make it.

If u stay ard north area, there are some shops ard serangoon north area... I bought mine fr there... Try to give her towel so that she can keep herself warm... n also try feeling a small bottle wif warm water then wrap wif towel n place next to the kitten so as to keep her warm... Tats wat i did for my found kitten as well, found when she was 2 weak 2 even walk straight but now grown up 2 be a veri active kitten playing wif my adult cat... :)

uncle_catz said:
Either Animalac or KMR will be fine. Both will work. So far, these are the only 2 brands I have seen sold in Singapore.

To save on some trouble preparing milk especially in the middle of the night when you are quite groggy, you can make some beforehand and put it in the fridge. Warm it up when you need to feed it. Of course, freshly prepared milk is always the best.

Ed1975 said:
If u stay ard north area, there are some shops ard serangoon north area... I bought mine fr there... Try to give her towel so that she can keep herself warm... n also try feeling a small bottle wif warm water then wrap wif towel n place next to the kitten so as to keep her warm... Tats wat i did for my found kitten as well, found when she was 2 weak 2 even walk straight but now grown up 2 be a veri active kitten playing wif my adult cat... :)
If you do not have a hot water pad which can keep warm for hours, you can use a filament lamp which will heat up the air surrounding the box where you keep the kitten. Only downside is that it becomes very bright for the kitten. Another thing is to keep the room draught free.

Understand you stay in Eunos. There are quite number of pet shops there that sell supplies but they are spread all over the place. Easier one may be the Pet Safari in Simei (basement of Simei Point) as it is just next to the MRT station.

And don't worry about the umblical cord. It will dry up and fall off in a week of 2 by itself. Just make sure the area around it is not infected. Just wipe the kitten clean with a warm moistened towel everyday so that it will not develop urine rashes.

If the mother cat is around, it will be grooming the kitten regularly to keep it clean. The mother cat is a wonderful mother.

Remember: Keep it well fed, warm and hydrated. It should survive. Cats are amazing animals.

Good luck and keep us updated.

thanks for the advises and encouragement...
Just came home to feed it... will bring it to Mount Pleasant East Coast at 2pm and buy some necessities from the petshops beside it... As of now, still feeding with normal cow milk. :(

My biggest worries is still, that no one will be around to feed it during the day... i cannot possibly be home mid day to feed it regularly. I work near but may not be free to rush back regularly :cry:

sigh... jus hope it will grow and live...
It did not grow very much after day 5 leh... but not as skinny as day 1.
worrying...

pic just taken.. how sweet when it is sleeping..

Kitten2.jpg

Hey David, don't fret. You and your wife can do it.

Once you get the milk powder, the baby will start to grow stronger. The first week after its birth is very important. If it had been fortunate to be able to suckle its mother's milk straight after birth, it will be a good sign since the first few feed of mother's milk contains colostrum and this contains good anti-bodies and nutrients for the kitten.

The vet will be in a better position to advise you on the next steps later.

I understand your predicament about the feeding during daytime. I rushed back from work during lunch everyday for 2 months to feed my neonatal kitten and to ensure that it is receiving its proper nutrients every 4 hours. If you have helpful neighbours or parents or friends staying nearby, perhaps you can ask them to do the mid-day feed for you if possible.

I can tell you that this is a very trying period but it is also the best bonding session you will have with the kitten. This kitten is going to treat you like its mother and will follow you everywhere around the house once it is a month older. And it looks very cute. Seems like it will grow up to be a chunky little fellow. Best of luck.

Forgot to mention that you need to weigh it everyday or twice daily to monitor its growth in weight. A simple kitchen scale will do. Jot down its weight, feeding time, how much it had eaten, whether it had passed motion etc on a piece of paper for easy reference. It will help a lot.

just came back from the vet... she said the kitten looks ok, a little dehydrated though.

And the vet removed his umbilical cord too ;)

taught me how to stimulate it to poop and urinate...

Bought the milk formula from the pet shop besides it, and a nursing bottle too..

Just fed it, need a little getting use to the feeding bottle... slower :sweat:

and then tried the stimulation and he poop two inches long of ****!! :bsmilie:

Hopefully he is a survivor... let's see...

Pic of a full and relieved kitten...
IMG_1222.jpg

hmm... think next is a name... vet mentioned likely a male... so name name name...

davidsim said:
just came back from the vet... she said the kitten looks ok, a little dehydrated though.

Bought the milk formula from the pet shop besides it, and a nursing bottle too..

IMG_1222.jpg

hmm... think next is a name... vet mentioned likely a male... so name name name...

Alrite... Job well done... An advice for u, when the kitten is due for injection n sterilisation, let the nurse noes the kitten is stray... They will have a catwelfare society rate....

Just beautiful...

Nice thing for you to do. Good luck on the ball of fun/terror/mischevious fella... Handled a few to know them... Do note that if you have anything breakable in the house, do keep them carefully...

Cheers,

davidsim said:

And the vet removed his umbilical cord too

Just fed it, need a little getting use to the feeding bottle... slower

and then tried the stimulation and he poop two inches long of ****!!

IMG_1222.jpg

really nice of you to take care of the furrball.. :)
omg.. this is soooooooo adorable!! :lovegrin: :lovegrin:
i hope he survives. good luck :)

davidsim said:

IMG_1222.jpg

Hey, that's very good news. Hopefully with the correct milk solution, the kitten will gain lost ground quickly.

But try to get the glucose powder asap. Sometimes the kitten will for no apparent reason just fade and the glucose solution really helps a lot, especially in the middle of the night when all shops are closed and you are really panicking.

With regards to the neutering/spaying issue, that is still some 6 months away so you have lots of time to think about it. If you really intend to keep it as your own pet and you want to use the Cat Welfare rate, the vet may snip off the tip of its left ear to signify that this cat has been neutered/spayed. If it is a house pet, that will mean no clipped ear and no Cat Welfare rate.

when to feed glucose solution and what measures of glucose and water?

When the kitten has no appetite for milk and is fading, use the glucose solution to stimulate the appetite and also to hydrate it. I cannot really remember but I think it was the same ratio as stated on the tin. It should not be too sweet though.

Remember that glucose water will not add weight to the kitten. It get burned up by the kitten very quickly and so is not a replacement for milk.

"And I have found a recipe for a pedialite substitute (glucose water):

4 1/4 C. Water. 2 tsp. sugar - you can add up to eight for flavor. 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp baking soda. This is good to have on hand for babies that are getting dehydrated or showing signs of URI." Extracted from here http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm This is a good resource. I referred to it the last time round too. This guy seems to have lots of experience taking care of new borns.

hi david,
i think u're doing great and am really proud of you!
kitty will be so grateful to u and ur wife for having saved his life.
cant imagined its little fate now if ur wife had just walked on by...

it is an exciting period for u!
the moment it opens its eyes.. its first tooth.. (its tiny teeth is the cutest)

enjoy ur "parenthood" ;)

i was fortunate to watch the entire growth process of cats and was lucky enough to have their mother around. they suckled till they were even 6 months or more and already eating solid food!

cats.jpg

davidsim said:
it seems ok, except for the crying part... :cry:

I will try to buy the formula kitten milk... i live in eunos.. any good petshop or vets ard this area that sells these things...

Opposite Eunos MRT, there is a pet shop that has a number of cats running about. It's along the row of shophouses where there is a timber merchant and some martial arts centre. If you cross the road and walk along the flow of traffic, you should see it on your left. It's at the same road which leads to a cross junction where there is a Buddhist centre.

I hope I am making sense here.

Oh yes, 1 more thing. The kitten treats you like its mother so will be following you almost everywhere. Take note of that whenever you open and close doors. Do it carefully and try to discourage your kitten from following you right to the doorstep. You won't want to accidently hurt it seriously or worse, so go easy on the doors. Oh and if you live in a flat, remember that kittens get curious after awhile and can jump pretty high. So it's a good idea if possible, to close the windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.