can't open normal image files in ps cs3/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlejt

Aug 12, 2006
whenever i drag or open a picture file from ps cs3/4, nothing loads onto it. and even if i maange to open it, there is a problem adding adjustments onto it. help anyone?

Can you elaborate on this?
I read your line, but I must say I don't really understand what you meant by "whenever i drag or open a picture file from ps cs3/4".
Drag from ps cs3/4 to where?

Can you elaborate on this?
I read your line, but I must say I don't really understand what you meant by "whenever i drag or open a picture file from ps cs3/4".
Drag from ps cs3/4 to where?

+1

And then you say, "if i maange to open it, there is a problem adding adjustments onto it."

How can you be dragging a picture from CS3/4 if you haven't already opened it in CS3/4?

I think you need to start over and explain your problem again, this time with your readers in mind. We can't see what you're doing. Choose your words more carefully.

I believe he is dragging files from folders in explorer into his PS window.

Instead of doing that, just use File->Open from PS.

I believe he is dragging files from folders in explorer into his PS window.

Instead of doing that, just use File->Open from PS.

Yes, I think you are right in this interpretation of the statement.
But still, it's strange (until we have more information from the TS) that even when the photo in displayed onto PS, he wasn't able to do any editing...
Let's await TS's further info...

BTW... how can I open the raw files using CS3? where to locate the patch software if there is. Any senior care to advise?

BTW... how can I open the raw files using CS3? where to locate the patch software if there is. Any senior care to advise?

Assuming you are using a 7D... This is quite a headache because you need to use the latest ACR (Adobe Camera Raw), but the "latest" ACR is not supported by CS3... only CS4. A solution (or actually workaround) is convert your images to DNG using one of those DNG converters and then open it in CS3, but what a pain in the ass :/

Well, you are indeed OT-ing a little here.

But I guess before TS comes back and catch us OT-ing, I would just point you the way.

Go to the Help menu on your Photoshop CS3 and click on 'Update'. When the diaog box comes up, click on 'See Details' and look for the updates on 'Adobe Photoshop CS3'.
If your Raw plug-in hasn't been updated, an updated version would be offered here and you should be able to access your latest Raw files from your brand new Nikon or Canon camera the next time you start PS.

Assuming you are using a 7D... This is quite a headache because you need to use the latest ACR (Adobe Camera Raw), but the "latest" ACR is not supported by CS3... only CS4. A solution (or actually workaround) is convert your images to DNG using one of those DNG converters and then open it in CS3, but what a pain in the ass :/

Am using 7D with Adobe Creative Suite 3 Web premium. ;(
Is that difficult to DNG ?

ah. my apologies and thanks for replying my thread. actually i didn't know how to phrase my question because of its weird nature.

so yea. i realized that after i restart my computer, i can open ps, open files and edit them normally. but after sometime or if i open a web browser, i am unable to open any picture files or do any edits on it. ie whenever i drag or open a file in PS, nothing appears, just the normal grey backdrop. furthermore, if the "thing" happens in the midst of my pp, i am unable to open any adjustments, ie i click levels and nothing appears. the same happens with the actions, where it just stops at that specific adjustment segment. so if i want to do any adjustments, i'll have to restart my computer and open ps the moment its done and have period of time to edit before everything becomes haywire again.

i've re-installed it countless of times, downgraded/upgraded from ps 3 to 4 and 4 to 3, discarded all preferences using the cntrl alt shift method etc. but can't seem to fix this problem which is kinda fustrating when i cannot do any edits without going through that tedious process.

thanks to all your replies in advance!

ah. my apologies and thanks for replying my thread. actually i didn't know how to phrase my question because of its weird nature.

so yea. i realized that after i restart my computer, i can open ps, open files and edit them normally. but after sometime or if i open a web browser, i am unable to open any picture files or do any edits on it. ie whenever i drag or open a file in PS, nothing appears, just the normal grey backdrop. furthermore, if the "thing" happens in the midst of my pp, i am unable to open any adjustments, ie i click levels and nothing appears. the same happens with the actions, where it just stops at that specific adjustment segment. so if i want to do any adjustments, i'll have to restart my computer and open ps the moment its done and have period of time to edit before everything becomes haywire again.

i've re-installed it countless of times, downgraded/upgraded from ps 3 to 4 and 4 to 3, discarded all preferences using the cntrl alt shift method etc. but can't seem to fix this problem which is kinda fustrating when i cannot do any edits without going through that tedious process.

thanks to all your replies in advance!

Wow, littlejt... I am at a loss now. After hearing your story, I am even more at loss than before you elaborated. Goodness, I would also be all-ears to the expert who will have to be the ones coming in to explain and advise us further.

yea man. i've wasted countless of hours trying to remedy the situation but to no avail. this shiet just happened out of the blue a few weeks back when i finally decided to get down to editing some pics.

Have you tried updating your display drivers? A scan for spyware/viruses?

If all else fails... format c:

Status
Not open for further replies.