CanonGraphers - Canon Photo Marathon III 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
fleek said:
Come back liao....uploaded my pic for 3rd assignment and just left. Think got no chance, so just leave lor.

Anyway, the three themes for today are :

1) World in Motion
2) Child's Play
3) Fashion in Action

BTW, just my opinion here, there are a lot of shots that are really good (definitely not mine), but they were not shortlisted. Anyway, I think some of the shortlisted shorts are good and vibrant, but i think they are OT, but that's my opinion only, the judges may have thoughts otherwise.
Btw all competitions are not fair at all...anyway they r the boss...the best selection tool is using 50% from judges +50% voting method from all the participants....

John Tan said:
Btw all competitions are not fair at all...anyway they r the boss...the best selection tool is using 50% from judges +50% voting method from all the participants....

Maybe. Alot depends on the "qualtity & experience" of the judges. People bring their baggage where every they go - judging is just one of the places it shows up. I dunno about how effective participant voting can be since everyone saw clear signs of group shooting peer pressure being what it is - an honest voting on its merits may have a problem. Noted that not all the 700+ participants stayed to the end - the so called broad spectrum view is going tobe distorted.

A point that was stressed yesterday but I dunno how many heard it was - "The judges are looking for more than technical correct photos, there are many but these lack the "whomp" factor that makes a photo stand out. There are many technically correct photos that do not have some interesting" not exact word quote but in the essence of what was said and what I understood and remember.

ellery said:
A point that was stressed yesterday but I dunno how many heard it was - "The judges are looking for more than technical correct photos, there are many but these lack the "whomp" factor that makes a photo stand out. There are many technically correct photos that do not have some interesting" not exact word quote but in the essence of what was said and what I understood and remember.

Yes I agree that the judges should look beyond photos that are technically correct, but I felt to a certain extent that they were using that as a crutch or an excuse to justify why some photos that were blurry and compositionally meaningless made the cut while other photos that would have made the cut (if we were the judges) didn't.

End of the day, I think the judging is the way it is because you have 2 non-photographers judging, and only one photographer.

plato said:
Yes I agree that the judges should look beyond photos that are technically correct, but I felt to a certain extent that they were using that as a crutch or an excuse to justify why some photos that were blurry and compositionally meaningless made the cut while other photos that would have made the cut (if we were the judges) didn't.

End of the day, I think the judging is the way it is because you have 2 non-photographers judging, and only one photographer.

I think this competition is more of a mainstream thing and artistic merit does not rate that high up the charts.

But again, congratulations to the winners and I'm sure we had fun taking the photos we wanted.Though I think the public voting for the Best Of Show should be for all the photos taken, and not merely the shortlisted, IMHO.

had a good time with my "twin brother" at the event yesterday, zipping around on a TDM900. and because of it... i've started a new liking for touring-rigged bikes.

though i got zilch, save for the vest, and declined to pick up the mineral water "prize", i was more than grateful for the good weather yesterday, after having rain over my work area for the past few days, which was pretty heavy!

must say too, the photovest seems to have good capacity to hoard at least one 1-liter nalgene bottle at the lower back compartment. frees up some handspace too, and can chuck in my ID cards, mobile, purchases at a bicycle shop etc etc. and get us the "entry ticket" into some places we'd be otherwise shoo'ed off at ecp :bsmilie:

but really, i was satisfied with the experience yesterday, having a treasure hunt of sorts, meeting old faces i haven't seen for over four to six years... and even as long as eight to nine years! found out by accident that one of the lady staffers for apple at the download stations found me familiar, from days back at early at 96 or 97!

it's nice to have a prize, though i didn't get any (nor sniffling of it), i think for the fellowship with a good friend, meeting at least three long-lost folks, two other long-time bloggers... hey, where else could you get such an experience? the only time i broke this "record" was when i came across 15 to 16 old pals while seeking for one Jpop cd a few weeks back on a Saturday... :bsmilie:

apart from that, there was the sheer luck in coming across a fairly obscure location shooting kids learning golf... AFTER my friend and i made a detour off to a bike shop at dempsey road, worrying ourselves sick should we not be able to get a decent shot for "child's play". i managed to get some bicycle accessories for my intended races early next year... hey, this was really, really fun... the detouring to bicycle shops... :bsmilie:

Wonder who is the is nick shouting guru and the nick of the guru at the back of the hall.

Overall, I felt that the event could be done better.

As an IT professional, i felt that the registration is a total disappointment and felt like the 80's. They have 10 apple computers back there, couldn't they have used the computers for registration rather than just use printed papers and look for name manually?

Even using simple excel spreadsheets and searching for IC numbers could speed up registration. Even better if they can use barcode scanners.

My suggestion would be that they ask everybody to print a copying of the confirmation and bring along, the confirmation could have a barcode on it.

One question, do they have to confirm what camera u use?

By the way hor, I was wearing a Red shirt and jeans :p

fleek said:
One question, do they have to confirm what camera u use?

Priority given to Canon camera users? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Anyway, i didn't take part in this year's event but i was there to support my buddies. Well those shortlisted entried seems to be a bit OOT to me as well.

fleek said:
Wonder who is the is nick shouting guru and the nick of the guru at the back of the hall.

you mean, a Nick shouted "Guru!" and calling the name of his Guru? i heard lots of shouting from the right wing too, but couldn't decipher what that was all about - i was using my nano ;)

btw, you mean barcode registration just like how Adobe SEA does it? that would be good. the last personalized event i went to was Networld/InterOP 97 to 99 - that gave an email address to every single person who attended the show. but that was an international show :bsmilie:

icarus said:
Priority given to Canon camera users? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Anyway, i didn't take part in this year's event but i was there to support my buddies. Well those shortlisted entried seems to be a bit OOT to me as well.

I was tempted for my last assignment to shoot something really OOT. But I decided otherwise, just for the spirit ;p

sehsuan said:
you mean, a Nick shouted "Guru!" and calling the name of his Guru? i heard lots of shouting from the right wing too, but couldn't decipher what that was all about - i was using my nano ;)

btw, you mean barcode registration just like how Adobe SEA does it? that would be good. the last personalized event i went to was Networld/InterOP 97 to 99 - that gave an email address to every single person who attended the show. but that was an international show :bsmilie:

Yah lor, there is one person keep shouting guru and the guru was responding. The guru is a nikon guru.

I think we clubsnappers can organise a competition for ourselves. I can be the canvasing officer to look for sponsors ;P

sehsuan said:
had a good time with my "twin brother" at the event yesterday, zipping around on a TDM900. and because of it... i've started a new liking for touring-rigged bikes.

... :bsmilie:

yeah I spent almost all the day like a family day affair.... first place in the morning was to Baliester for a breakfast the mee pok tar there is my fav...then went plant hunting because wife want to get some plants....then oppps it 1015 already...... bum around to see if can find any thing just to start up the camera. Afternoon more of the same, the last assignment wanted to go home early but wife suggest just go finish up since it got start it should be completed. Fun but long day.

ellery said:
yeah I spent almost all the day like a family day affair.... first place in the morning was to Baliester for a breakfast the mee pok tar there is my fav...then went plant hunting because wife want to get some plants....then oppps it 1015 already...... bum around to see if can find any thing just to start up the camera. Afternoon more of the same, the last assignment wanted to go home early but wife suggest just go finish up since it got start it should be completed. Fun but long day.

Haha...i almost could not complete my last assignment, my wife was so busy shopping in orchard and I have to wait for her to finish.. she was being distracted all the time.

I think we spent more time and money shopping ;p ;p ;p

plato said:

That was not my point - technically correct but content poor does not make a captivating photo. Like wise content rich but technically poor photo does not make a captivating photo either. Most of the very blur very strange photos did not make it to final 10.

It's a lot like any other photo contest judging - first round takes out the very dead ones, 2nd culls out the very good and very dead from 1st round, 3rd round - finalize the best of the betters, and the rest of finalist.

Dunno I think for visual stuff females seem to have a faster recognition of good vs bad maybe all the practice in mixing and matching clothes and doing makeup than guys - in general not in an absolute sense.

Anyways these are opinions - yours will never be identical to another persons. Viva la difference.

sehsuan said:

though i got zilch, save for the vest, and declined to pick up the mineral water "prize", i was more than grateful for the good weather yesterday, after having rain over my work area for the past few days, which was pretty heavy!

must say too, the photovest seems to have good capacity to hoard at least one 1-liter nalgene bottle at the lower back compartment. frees up some handspace too, and can chuck in my ID cards, mobile, purchases at a bicycle shop etc etc. and get us the "entry ticket" into some places we'd be otherwise shoo'ed off at ecp :bsmilie:

but really, i was satisfied with the experience yesterday, having a treasure hunt of sorts, meeting old faces i haven't seen for over four to six years... and even as long as eight to nine years! found out by accident that one of the lady staffers for apple at the download stations found me familiar, from days back at early at 96 or 97!

it's nice to have a prize, though i didn't get any (nor sniffling of it), i think for the fellowship with a good friend, meeting at least three long-lost folks, two other long-time bloggers... hey, where else could you get such an experience? the only time i broke this "record" was when i came across 15 to 16 old pals while seeking for one Jpop cd a few weeks back on a Saturday... :bsmilie:

apart from that, there was the sheer luck in coming across a fairly obscure location shooting kids learning golf... AFTER my friend and i made a detour off to a bike shop at dempsey road, worrying ourselves sick should we not be able to get a decent shot for "child's play". i managed to get some bicycle accessories for my intended races early next year... hey, this was really, really fun... the detouring to bicycle shops... :bsmilie:

The black TDM at open air carpark near ACS? Nice bike!

Status
Not open for further replies.