canon selphy vs 'real print'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
thinking of getting a canon selphy to play with.
but need to get answers first.

-if i print out on selphy 4R, will the color be almost similar to those that i send to print shops?

-is this gadget worth the $?

-in the long run, is it 'cheaper' than sending it to professional printer?

-any feedback on this gadget so far?(breakdown, high running cost...etc etc...)

any comments appreciated.;)

-if i print out on selphy 4R, will the color be almost similar to those that i send to print shops?
No, lab prints are better. sharpness, contrast, color etc...

depend how you look at it, convenient, speed, instant print at location..... etc

lab prints $0.25 each, selphy print $0.30...

you need to set your camera to high saturation, high sharpen if you want to print direct, if hood up to computer, you can write an action in PS to apply curve, USM, saturation etc before print it out.

Hope this helps.

No, lab prints are better. sharpness, contrast, color etc...

depend how you look at it, convenient, speed, instant print at location..... etc

lab prints $0.25 each, selphy print $0.30...

you need to set your camera to high saturation, high sharpen if you want to print direct, if hood up to computer, you can write an action in PS to apply curve, USM, saturation etc before print it out.

Hope this helps.

Really?

I'm using the really basic model and directly printing from my 5D camera with good results. Recently we were organising a lunch party and I directly printed out the pics to give to some families and there were all the oohs and aahs. they really liked the prints. With lab prints, I find that it is only worthwhile if you are making many prints all at once. Otherwise the price per print goes up. Furthermore it is so convenient. The prints are now laminates and there is no run off in the colors the last layer of laminate actually protects the print! Therefore for me I will use the selphy when printing a few copies or for viewing before sending for larger prints. I will send for printing when I have to run many prints >100.

But if you are giving people who are not very picky in the quality, they normally can't tell the difference... That's why Selphy makes a good portable printer to "quick share" pictures with people... ;)

actually, my aim is to ps the pics, print it out on selphy for a 'instant preview', BEFORE i send it to the labs either for 4R or bigger.

to print and share with friends on the spot, yes, it's convenient no doubt, and i wouldnt even bother about saturation,sharpness or whatsoever since most of them are not into photography.

so, maybe i should rephrase my question.

should i get the selphy to have an instant preview of my pic's colors before sending to the labs?:dunno:

actually, my aim is to ps the pics, print it out on selphy for a 'instant preview', BEFORE i send it to the labs either for 4R or bigger.

to print and share with friends on the spot, yes, it's convenient no doubt, and i wouldnt even bother about saturation,sharpness or whatsoever since most of them are not into photography.

should i get the selphy to have an instant preview of my pic's colors before sending to the labs?:dunno:
Can view from PC itself wat... :think: So long you do you PP on a caliberated screen and bring to the print shop, it is THEIR responsiblity to deliver what it on the screen especially in terms of colour reproduction...

Yes. I did that.

Point to note. The prints are, by default, dark, as compared to a calibrated screen display. Usually, I up the bightness + saturation a tad.

Don't you think by doing this you are doubling the cost per print? Furthermore what you see on the Selphy may not be the same when you print it at the shop.

Furthermore what you see on the Selphy may not be the same when you print it at the shop.

sure

tell me otherwise

Yes. I did that.

Point to note. The prints are, by default, dark, as compared to a calibrated screen display. Usually, I up the bightness + saturation a tad.

Hmmmm you should try adding colour management into your workflow..

Yes. I did that.

Yes, that's quite true. I experienced the same thing as you.

I also find printouts from different shops differ. Maybe some shops did some colour processing on the machines? I guess the printout from the Selphy can be used to show them the result that you expect.

Well think color that you see when you print out of a selphy is not that good an idea since it is going to be different from that from another shop. another reason as it drives up cost? think i would rather you do a sample picture from a shop that you will go to regularly and from there judge how a picture must look like on your com to achieve the same or near to that of the shop you go to. think thats another way to do if if you dont have a calibration device or something..

hmm...i dont think i am helping right? i somehow think i am unclear of what i am talking about...:bsmilie:

i just want to update you guys.

i really regret buying the canon selphy ES1.
the colors that comes out of it, aiyo!:p

i had to adjust my levels and curves up to overexp before i get 'decent' prints from it.
not to mention skin tones....aiyoyoyo...really dunno what to say.:(

well, i'm definitely not expecting it to be as good as those 4R prints we get when we go to a developer, but i had slightly better expectations than what i'm receiving now.

also, this gadget aint that compatible with my desktop with CS2.
when i press print, nothing happens.

i tried calling canon but they told me to bring my desktop down:bigeyes:
forget it.

i may just dump this to a friend for his/her BD.:sweatsm:
together with 400 pieces of print refills.:thumbsd:

Actually, some of us had already mentioned that it tends towards "underexposure" and that it's a gadget after all.

Recently, it has come to my "enlightenment -- if I could use this word" that we could bring down our printer to Canon to get it "re-calibrated".

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=260861

Yes, it's a different model, but you could try.

Actually, some of us had already mentioned that it tends towards "underexposure" and that it's a gadget after all.

Recently, it has come to my "enlightenment -- if I could use this word" that we could bring down our printer to Canon to get it "re-calibrated".

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=260861

Yes, it's a different model, but you could try.

thanks very much for the info.
but i think i will just forget about it.
it's not like after calibration, it will match what i see on the screen.
kind of disappointed.but i guess it's because i had expectations of it.

thanks very much for the info.
but i think i will just forget about it.
it's not like after calibration, it will match what i see on the screen.
kind of disappointed.but i guess it's because i had expectations of it.

If u stick to one lab, easy mah. test print afew then see how far off isit from ur screen. usually after u calibrate ur monitor, the difference shouldn't be very big.

even if u get those high end printer for home use, i think u will still need to do calibration for the printers

u might want to read up more on color management

Status
Not open for further replies.