canon S1 and FZ 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how much the Canon S2 wil go for ...can it match the Fz5 price?

socrates said:
I wonder how much the Canon S2 wil go for ...can it match the Fz5 price?

DC resource mentioned that it's gonna be US$499.95 or something like that..
same price as the FZ5.. i suppose it's gonna end up costing around the same too, maybe a bit more because of the canon name... :dunno:

i don't know... they're similar enough that we don't need to compare specs, just photo quality.. somethings i feel that comparing specs is like young guys comparing who got "larger equipment" :sweat: .. the ultimate winner is not one with the largest equipment, but the one who gets the hottest chick. :bsmilie:

For cameras wise, i used to think better specs means better cam.. after looking at how bad photos many 8MP cams give, i personally feel that it all boils down to which picture produced is gonna be the better one. Without looking at other postprocessing.. if i take 1000 photos at a go, i don't think i'd wanna post process every one... I'd rather use my computer for something better like playing games, surfing net, and posting on clubsnap. :cool:

I think this Canon will be more expensive than the Lumix FZ5. Just think it will be. Maybe just a little cheaper than Canon G6.

Or it could sport the same introductory RRP price as the S1 then?

Since both FZ5 and S2 got no hotshoe...

I would still got for S2... for the swivel LCD and TTL... at least with built in flash it would not be overexpose... and AA battery would be good so... no scare battery not enough... 15 sec exposure would be good...

panasonic and canon, which do you think has a better anti shake techonlogy?

LifeWorld said:
My guess, RP at S$799. So should be able to get it at aound S$690.

Hmmm... My guess is RRP at $890. Closer to $900. I dun think $690 street price can get this Canon Powershot S2.

socrates said:
panasonic and canon, which do you think has a better anti shake techonlogy?

Maybe the 2 can also compare with Minolta's Anti-Shake system.

wrx_sti_22b said:
Maybe the 2 can also compare with Minolta's Anti-Shake system.

nope, out of the 3, KM's antishake is known to be the least effective.

in-lens IS is always going to be more effective than in-CCD IS.

still, better than no IS.

Don't want to be a wet blanket here, but comparing my FZ10 and my KMZ2 I found that even with a slower lens, it gave me similar shutter speed for the same pics at the same zoom range. Comparing A/S, I found that the Minolta (no A/s for this cam) only lost out to FZ10 by about 1/2 stop. Probably because the smaller and lighter Minolta has better hand hold stability. In that respect, I would think adding A/s to the Z3 should make it better than the fZ10.
That said, I still prefer the FZ10 because of the manual focus ring and of course the Laica lens.

LifeWorld said:
It has the same CCD size as FZ5/20. So, at same 5mp pic, it is the Digic II that we are comparing with VEII. Hmm...who has better in-cam processing? :think:

So far, has not seen Canon's pic quality as good as Lumix..... not comparing with their dslr though!

yah.. and Canon prices are higher I think ;) How much do you think S2 will be retailing?

Looks like VEII handles noise reduction better than DigicII :-D

WOW NICE PRICE!!! :hung:

:eek: for that price i rather top up more to get something pro!

MDZ2 said:
Don't want to be a wet blanket here, but comparing my FZ10 and my KMZ2 I found that even with a slower lens, it gave me similar shutter speed for the same pics at the same zoom range. Comparing A/S, I found that the Minolta (no A/s for this cam) only lost out to FZ10 by about 1/2 stop. Probably because the smaller and lighter Minolta has better hand hold stability. In that respect, I would think adding A/s to the Z3 should make it better than the fZ10.
That said, I still prefer the FZ10 because of the manual focus ring and of course the Laica lens.

i always though heavier camera = less shake to a certain extent? probably due to the greater inertia?

direwuff said:
i always though heavier camera = less shake to a certain extent? probably due to the greater inertia?
Yah, but it seems that the Minolta is more balanced front to back, so there is no up and down shaking on the camera.

Z3 photos are absolutely horrible. As i was telling scann69 of a 500 shot coverage of an event (at night), about 250 of them were off-focus. the noise is TERRIBLE!!! comparing noise on FZ5/FZ20 and Z3 is like comparing noise DSLR and P/S cameras...

doing a comparison, i'd say that the noise level on Z3's ISO 50 = Panasonic's FZ5 ISO200.
and if i'm not wrong, FZ10 is even cleaner than FZ20/5

as for images sharpness.. IMHO the S1IS produces very soft images. my honest feeling, but sometimes I feel that the images are flat.. smooth, but the details/subjects don't pop out at you like FZ cameras. how to say.. for my camera at least, sharp lines are seen.. but for the canon it feels as if the images sort of.. merge.. very smooth pictures, but.. just lack that omph..

not saying all these from reports/reviews, but I've have used quite alot of ultra zoom cameras before.

Waiting to see more images from the S2..

Status
Not open for further replies.