Canon price went up ~20% yesterday.. Scary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or maybe they doing a reverse psychology...telling us to earn more money since its a luxury...?

All of a sudden, the lenses that we own are worth more haha

All of a sudden, the lenses that we own are worth more haha

haha well by logic if the price rise is across the board, then everything equals out and our lenses are not worth any more. also, no point even if they're worth more, no one will buy them for the increased prices ...

that's true. i find it quite ridiculous for companies to increase prices for goods despite having fluctuations up and down. Maybe for dslr different, but this most likely doesn't help their cause to get consumers to buy their gear. Honestly, i see the value for camera bodies should either maintain or drop (being realistic). For the pro enses maybe different story, but for the general consumer range the true value is still the same. So, don't buy your stuff now.

heard going up some 20% esp so for the newer lenses :(

Not really. Yesterday i just asked the price of the 70-200 f/4 IS, now is around $1.9K. I also asked a Nikon 50 f/1.8D, also up from around $150+ to $195.

Look at it this way. About a year ago, due to the depreciation of the yen, prices dropped by about 20%. Since then, the yen is up about 20% and so is it surprising?

Yes, Japan is suffering a real drop in their manufacturing and are suffering. But the problem they have is that many of thier investment funds are pulling back from Europe, UK, US, and everywhere else and hence there is a demand for yen. This is definitely not helping the country. Yes, at the end of the day, the banking sector is causing this yen appreciation, which is not what the manufacturing sector wants. But it they keep dropping prices (in yen terms), they can't survive - in the long term. And with production already reduced (i think they tried the keep prices down strategy for a few months now) they have no other alternative.... really.

But wait, the yen is starting to come off as it will reach a stage when Japan banks and investment funds have less funds to pull back to Japan and if the flows start reversing, we may see a 10% drop in the Yen. That, plus a need to try to increase demand, may see the Jap companies dropping prices, but time will tell.

Everytime prices go up, people (esp here in Singapore) react emotionally rather than thinking through logically what is happening.

if the economic crisis is a prolonged one and if the yen stabilises, hopefully we can see a reduction in lens prices again due to decrease in raw material, cost of production, decrease in demand, and lower shipping (which is at a historical all time low now).

what IF some companies are selling old stock at new increased price? would you agreed with that?
don't tell me every company already cleared out their old stocks hor? :)

what IF some companies are selling old stock at new increased price? would you agreed with that?
Well, Even canon HQ wouldn't have cleared their old distributing stocks yet.

GMAN

Any idea how much is the 18-55 F2.8?

For me, it's a matter of honor and integrity, not the price hike.

If a commitment is made, and unless there are clear terms and conditions stated contrary to which, that commitment should be honored.

When MS quote, they will tell you if the stocks are avail.
Why would anyone quote without having existing stocks??
:thumbsd:

A Quote is a commitment...definately.

Regards

Any idea how much is the 18-55 F2.8?

You mean 17-55 F2.8?
eQuote from CP (25 Feb) is 1295 without GST. About 2 weeks ago it was 1226

In JB, CLS photo was worse, not a single Canon L lens on the shelf, only some EFS55-250 and 18-200. They said no more stock waiting for Canon but few weeks back they told me they have some lens stock in hand. normal tactics i guess. EFS55-250 price tag there was RM1090, SG price now is around 470.

oh you mean you found that price of EFS55-250 in Sg is 470 now? May I know where is the place?
I still have my valid eQuote from CP, which is 364 include GST...

The thing is the new price is for the new stock that they order in.
Current in-stock items they should be selling for the old price, as they bought them for the old price.
hmm

Not quite true. The goods are probably on consignment, which means they dont pay for the stuff they are holding until it's sold. Once Canon Singapore sets the new pricing, the retailers have to follow, unless they back date the invoice.

It's human nature. When prices drop, people celebrate. Now that they increase, there's a big hoo-har. But for those who are not in the know, you are still getting some of the lenses at a good deal comparatively.

Do any of you know that when the 100mm USM macro was released sometime in 2000 (I think), it cost $900+? Yes, no kidding for those who weren't even into photography then.

And just about 3 years ago, the EF-S 17-55 was going for like $1800 if I remember correctly. And the 24-70L was priced a lot more when it was first released. Think in excess of $2k. Even the now no longer popular 28-135mm IS was once priced something like $800+ or so if I'm not wrong. Now it's a fraction of that.

Prices rise and fall for a variety of reasons. Many consumers have enjoyed the lowered prices for a couple of years. Now it's gone up due to the Jap currency and economy. You can't control such things. So I find it ridiculous when some blame it on Canon or accuse them of being unreasonable.

Canon can also put it in a lame way like this: The price increase in necessary because they notice more and more amateurs can afford L lenses! Not the cheaper ones but even the ones only pros used to use exclusively in the past.

If you've missed the boat, then it's really too bad. As a consolation, know that what you're paying may not be as high as when the lenses were first released.

I am just wandering....Imagine if you have something which you bought cheaper last time and now worth much more. Will you sell cheap because you bought it cheap or you want to sell at the current higher market price.
If I am the seller, I will sell at current higher market price. If I sell cheap, someone will buy over from me and sell it at market price to make profit. No right or wrong....:)

It's human nature. When prices drop, people celebrate. Now that they increase, there's a big hoo-har. But for those who are not in the know, you are still getting some of the lenses at a good deal comparatively.

Prices rise and fall for a variety of reasons. Many consumers have enjoyed the lowered prices for a couple of years. Now it's gone up due to the Jap currency and economy. You can't control such things. So I find it ridiculous when some blame it on Canon or accuse them of being unreasonable.

Yeah, the 17-40L was about $1,300 just 3-4 years ago, before it dropped and dropped and ended up at $999. With the increase, it is now probably $1,200-1,250. And if you put $1,300 in the bank 4 years ago, it is probably worth $1,350 now even at savings interst rate, so the lens is actually cheaper now even with the increase.

Look at it another way, with the current downturn prolonging and some say up to 2 years... A possible scenario would be that the Yen will continue to go up... and, there will be possibly another price increase!!! :bigeyes:

So look at it from a positive angle... we are getting the lens cheaper now if we buy now than if we wait... :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.