Canon Powershot G7X

Taken last week at the Pasir Ris Mangrove Swamp.
$IMG_0018c.jpg

Here's a myna that I "caught" this afternoon.
$IMG_0102c.jpg
I've used full auto mode as I rushed to take the picture before it flew away.

Both photos are unedited but they were scaled down in the upload process, what is the better way to upload that avoids being scaled down?

Last edited:
Anyone managed to get a spare battery for the G7X yet? Been looking around... but cannot find. Try ordering from Amazon and they tell me that they don't ship to Singapore.

I'm planning to go to Funan on Sunday and pick one of these up. Any shop recommendations?

Just got it! Loving the flip up screen and of course the price over the Sony RX100MK3, which has a shorter focal range!

The main reason was for the much sharper lens, much improved OIS (vs RX100 or RX100II)

Much sharper? Strange, I used my friend's RX100III a couple of time, and now that I owned the G7X, I don't find RX100III "much" sharper. Granted that I can achieve abit more detail in my photos, but that is about it. But you are right, both G7X and RX100III are fabulous cameras... I like the G7X's handling more though, and somehow it felt right for me.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sharpness in compact cameras. The lenses are so small anyway and I doubt the difference will be a lot. It also depends on what mode you used to shoot, some apparent sharpness may be produced in-camera so maybe that's why Sony's images appear sharper? Canon is known to be more conservative in sharpening. Nothing you can't do with photo-editing software to get back that sharpness.

But at higher ISOs, there are reports that show RX100III has more details than G7X. That's only like very high ISOs like 3200 and above. Depends on whether you shoot in that region.

The EVF is something I can't appreciate on the RX100III or any other compact cameras. The camera is already small and I would find it a strain to be peering into the small viewfinder. It may help in bright daylight but how often one needs it is another matter.

For a compact camera, I personally think things should be kept simple. That's the purpose of buying it! Some try to add flash, either thru hotshoe or externally triggered flash, or find ways to improvise accessories to make it function like a DSLR, etc. I find it defeats the purpose of going compact and I will prefer to get a proper bigger camera which can produce better image quality anyway.

But that said, I find the RX100III to be a very good camera. It is not just slightly more expensive than the GX7. The price difference is actually quite significant. So depends if you need mainly the EVF and slightly better IQ at very high ISO, while sacrificing the tele end of the zoom range. Personally I wouldn't pay so much for just a compact cam unless I have spare cash or don't own other cameras.

Congrats on your purchase!

Was deciding between both G7X as well as RX100III, but end up buying RX100III.

The main reason was for the much sharper lens, much improved OIS (vs RX100 or RX100II), and the superb EVF. Was aiming previously for the RX100II, but the separate EVF already cost more than $600. Thus, though price of RX100III is slightly more expensive than the Canon G7X, the sharper images from RX100III and the useful EVF kind of makes the price worth it.

But G7X has a slightly longer zoom... so still very good buy!

Oh. I am a RX100MkII user. It is good but still I much prefer the focal range which gives more flexibility on the Canon. That to me is the deciding factor.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sharpness in compact cameras. The lenses are so small anyway and I doubt the difference will be a lot. It also depends on what mode you used to shoot, some apparent sharpness may be produced in-camera so maybe that's why Sony's images appear sharper? Canon is known to be more conservative in sharpening. Nothing you can't do with photo-editing software to get back that sharpness.

But at higher ISOs, there are reports that show RX100III has more details than G7X. That's only like very high ISOs like 3200 and above. Depends on whether you shoot in that region.

The EVF is something I can't appreciate on the RX100III or any other compact cameras. The camera is already small and I would find it a strain to be peering into the small viewfinder. It may help in bright daylight but how often one needs it is another matter.

For a compact camera, I personally think things should be kept simple. That's the purpose of buying it! Some try to add flash, either thru hotshoe or externally triggered flash, or find ways to improvise accessories to make it function like a DSLR, etc. I find it defeats the purpose of going compact and I will prefer to get a proper bigger camera which can produce better image quality anyway.

But that said, I find the RX100III to be a very good camera. It is not just slightly more expensive than the GX7. The price difference is actually quite significant. So depends if you need mainly the EVF and slightly better IQ at very high ISO, while sacrificing the tele end of the zoom range. Personally I wouldn't pay so much for just a compact cam unless I have spare cash or don't own other cameras.

Thats very true. I have the same thoughts on the EVF. Not a selling point to me for a compact camera.

And oh, touch screen is a blessing!

Anybody felt that the lack of grip is getting on your nerve? After sometime in Little India on Sunday, I find myself wishing for a grip for the small G7X. So I went online to search for one. There is none available. No choice, I have to go to Daiso, get myself some woods and fabricate a grip for myself.

My workmanship sucks big time, but the grip worked pretty well. Now it was very comfortable to hold.

WP_20141014_15_49_55_Raw.jpg

WP_20141014_15_52_06_Raw.jpg

WP_20141014_15_52_22_Raw.jpg

heh ;)

You can buy online for different sizes:
http://flipbac.com/camera-grip-about.htm

You can order via eBay. G7X does not have half cases yet like RX100 to help improve grip, so these flipbac grips will be good!

The total damage of the DIY grip that I made cost me less than S$10. The grip you have shown (which I have noticed before) easily go past US$10 including shipping. Granted that they looked nice, but I still believe my works just as well... if not better, since it gave me a deeper grip ;)

Last edited:
Hi Buddy,

Not everyone here is as skillful as you to make such a nice DIY grip. Unless you want to make a few and sell at $10... sure got buyers for it. Hey, you could run a business making grips!

The flipbac one is the next best alternative, and maybe someone in the forum can do a group buy to save some shipping cost!

Relax lah. I am just saying it I was to DIY a grip. A small piece of wood and some tape... And there u got it. But if u think getting spread made grip is easier... Up to u. Plus... The good thing abt DIY an accessory is that u can do it the way u like of ur accessories. But for those who don't hv the time, tools or other equipment... Buying online is sure an option.

Relax lah. I am just saying it I was to DIY a grip. A small piece of wood and some tape... And there u got it. But if u think getting spread made grip is easier... Up to u. Plus... The good thing abt DIY an accessory is that u can do it the way u like of ur accessories. But for those who don't hv the time, tools or other equipment... Buying online is sure an option.

may i know how do you secure your grip to the body?

anyone notice if you shoot RAW, and zoom in the image on the camera lcd, the picture breaks apart fast (blurry, not sharp, fuzzy).

If i shoot jpeg, the zoomed in picture is sharp.

anyone notice if you shoot RAW, and zoom in the image on the camera lcd, the picture breaks apart fast (blurry, not sharp, fuzzy).
If i shoot jpeg, the zoomed in picture is sharp.

Sounds like the embedded jpeg in the RAW file is reduced in size, quality or both.

My 6D and 550D do not have this.
think on the g7x is to speed up image preview.