Canon Powershot G7X

Just came back from Funan and tested the G7X.

Very well built, Made in Japan quality. Similar quality like the G1X Mk II.

However, one of my regular shops mentioned that they have a few customers who came back to return their sets - some due to error messages appearing, some due to lens alignment issues. Not sure how many sets with this error, but that was what the shop claims. This is my trusted shop, so should be true.

Any users here having any issues with their sets?

Teething problems it seemed. That is why I don't recommend getting anything immediately upon launch, I am from an electronic company and I know that many companies don't do 100% of their product... there are some (quite high percentage) of issues that are to be rooted out by consumers.

Teething problems it seemed. That is why I don't recommend getting anything immediately upon launch, I am from an electronic company and I know that many companies don't do 100% of their product... there are some (quite high percentage) of issues that are to be rooted out by consumers.

Is it safe to buy in Nov? How many mths needed until a electronic product is 'matured'

Is it safe to buy in Nov? How many mths needed until a electronic product is 'matured'

Do you need that camera that badly? I would normally wait for a couple of batches before buying my camera. if it was released now, I would normally wait till next year to get it.

It's very hard to gauge when it will be stable.

even if the bug is discovered, it doesn't mean that it will be fixed quickly or easily. But so far, Canon (at least from what I see) didn't fare quite badly in terms of recognition of the problem and fixing it quickly.

But some of the issues may be hardware related and may be fixed in newer batches, or earlier batches to be only fixed by sending in to csc. (And some of the shops selling the camera may still be selling the earlier batch which is not fixed yet.)

So it's hard to say when it will be stabilized if you are referring to walking in to a shop and get a "mature" set.

Just came back from Funan and tested the G7X... However, one of my regular shops mentioned that they have a few customers who came back to return their sets - some due to error messages appearing, some due to lens alignment issues.

Seriously? I am not aware of any shop in Singapore that permits returns. Exchange possible. Sounds like a fabricated tale.

Sorry my mistake. I meant to say returned for exchange to another set.

Anyway, this was what the shop communicated. Could be real, could be fabricated. Just a note for buyers to check thoroughly before bringing it back.

The built quality is really top quality though. Paint work is much better than Sony ones.

In case you are getting it, the price is around $695 (Song Bros) to $700+ (SLR Revo, Click Max Photo).

No casing available at the moment.

Seriously? I am not aware of any shop in Singapore that permits returns. Exchange possible. Sounds like a fabricated tale.

Last edited:
Wah Biang, this review is poisonous. I survived a GM1 with a spare battery, definitely can survive on the G7X with a spare batt too.

Here's another review from Mobile01 comparing it with RX100M3:

mobile01.com newsdetail.php?id=15679

(sorry can't post links yet)

Here's another review from Mobile01 comparing it with RX100M3:

mobile01.com newsdetail.php?id=15679

(sorry can't post links yet)

Thanks Ravrav. After looking at the reviews you put up. I found that RX100III are still a tad sharper. Somehow the G7X's standard NR seemed to soften the pic a bit more.

I tried out the g7x at audio house today. I thought it had a great grip and was really easy to operate one handed. However I am a little concerned about the compactness of the buttons. Wondering if any one had any problems with accidentally pressing buttons?

Yes, the buttons are a bit small, especially compared to DSLRs or even some mirrorless cameras. I was using the Sony RX100 and Samsung NX300 before I bought the G7X, so am quite used to smallish buttons.

Hi all,

I've posted a short review of the G7X on my blog: http://vtss-sg.blogspot.sg/

The G7X is a keeper! :)

Thanks for the review. May I ask a few questions?

1) How is the battery life like approximately?
2) Is there any visible shutter lag (in your opinion)?

Thanks for the advises.

Sorry, I didn't do any controlled testing of the battery life. But seems to be no worse than my RX100, i.e. I can probably shoot for at least 2 days when I'm travelling before I need to recharge the battery. But will probably pick up a spare battery when it's in stock.

The shutter lag is pretty good. Noticeably quicker than my RX100, but slower than my Samsung NX300 (which is really fast for a mirrorless cam).

Thx MunWei for the info regarding battery life and shutter lag. Very important info for discerning buyers. :bsmilie:

Sorry, I didn't do any controlled testing of the battery life. But seems to be no worse than my RX100, i.e. I can probably shoot for at least 2 days when I'm travelling before I need to recharge the battery. But will probably pick up a spare battery when it's in stock.

The shutter lag is pretty good. Noticeably quicker than my RX100, but slower than my Samsung NX300 (which is really fast for a mirrorless cam).

Thanks bro. Hmmm... going to head down to Funan soon:)