Canon Photomarathon Asia 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im myself a die-hard Nikon user (sometimes use Canon coz of work), but i applaud the organizers' efforts for this year's photo marathon. Im sure they are keeping an eye on this thread for everyone's feedbacks and suggestions. Well done, they improve on areas(from last year) without announcing/showing off that they are "actually doing so", which i find humbling and professional, do it silently but people will still notice and appreciate. :thumbsup:

actually there's the redbull chiobu walking around giving the drinks. hehe. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Does anyone know what is the winning photos for theme 1?
Thanks.

I left early..... leg cramp.

Where do you think they post the photos the photog took
the peoples on stage receiving prizes eh?

Thats not all. i think also got announce found something that the wife will be angry if never bring home...i am thinking wedding ring, worst case scenario lost the kid?

i guess its his driving license

Where do you think they post the photos the photog took
the peoples on stage receiving prizes eh?

Think they'll put it on their digitaldreams or canon official web? maybe their upcoming newsletter/magazine?

Anyway the photomarathon was really interesting! I get to see many alot of creativities and ofcourse I did learn something; i.e. I need more practise! lol..

Thank you CANON for organizing such a great competition!

Kudos for your efforts, great organization and logistics management! I had expected much longer wait times but was surprised when even the really long queues moved along quickly and efficiently.

I TRULY HOPE that you will UPLOAD ALL SELECTED ENTRIES for each category, as well as WINNERS' entries for all to view!

That way, we can all look at the wonderful works, and be able to learn more both from the works, and the entire experience and also tie it in with what your guest speaker, Tristan spoke about.

Think of it as an awesome TOTAL, INTEGRATED EXPERIENCE!

the long queues were more due to the people mostly coming back on time for the first theme.. it improved greatly after that, as more decided to submit their photos earlier.. kudos to the organizers for making the event run smoothly..

anyway, looking back at those who won this year, it seems the judging is very different as compared to last year..

Thank you CANON for organizing such a great competition!

Kudos for your efforts, great organization and logistics management! I had expected much longer wait times but was surprised when even the really long queues moved along quickly and efficiently.

I TRULY HOPE that you will UPLOAD ALL SELECTED ENTRIES for each category, as well as WINNERS' entries for all to view!

That way, we can all look at the wonderful works, and be able to learn more both from the works, and the entire experience and also tie it in with what your guest speaker, Tristan spoke about.

Think of it as an awesome TOTAL, INTEGRATED EXPERIENCE!

Bro, you want Canon to post up ALL the entries?? That's nearly 3000 images! But I do hope Canon can post up some works as there are way too many to view during the PhotoMarathon itself. Can we please see the works with innovative interpretation of the theme, or technically good photos?

My first time at the marathon; regretted going without sleep to attend it (sleep is essential). Overall, I felt it was okay, though it was way too long. Didn't stay back for the results as well, so late!

The next time I join I will sleep and try and wake up instead of skipping sleep (cos' I was worried that I would have overslept).

BTW, who won ah? Are the winners and their winning entries posted somewhere?

Bro, you want Canon to post up ALL the entries?? That's nearly 3000 images! But I do hope Canon can post up some works as there are way too many to view during the PhotoMarathon itself. Can we please see the works with innovative interpretation of the theme, or technically good photos?

Alamak!

I said all the SELECTED entires and winning entries lah! :bsmilie:

I not that siao mah! :cool:

IMO, the Open Category winners have a lot of good concepts and technicalities involved in their photos especially in the first and last theme, freedom. Was wowed by the technical execution and conceptualisation. However, can't say for the student cat. Some are not even close to technically correct photos or composition.

The judging seems to have much heavier consideration on concepts rather than technical and composition considerations. However, some of the concepts are also questionable.

I attended the Marathon yesterday, and was quite disappointed......this is the 2nd time I attended, and now I'm already thinking next year wanna come back or not.

If you guys had read the forum for the same event elsewhere, you will find out that Singapore's participants' not very well treated.

1. Only water provided.
2. RedBull was said to be provided, but I don't see any thru' out the day.....
3. OSIM loan some footmassagers but frankly, for 1000 + participants, only like 20 machines?? Not very sincere know......
4. Long long wait to download the photo.....

Simply, do the maths, and keep the snappers happy, shorter wait, some snacks, energy food.....Hey! Philipines snappers got lunch and dinner know......

Perhaps Canon Singapore should consider to held it elsewhere beside Suntec; save the $$ and provide the participants some snacks, ice-cream(like last year), frankly the location means nothing to me, a hall /field in any school, ITE, SMU should be just as good.

Yes, my works are not shortlisted, and some of the choosen shots are really good, but I can't help but felt that some are really crab - There's a Superhero zoom shots and copy work of posters? Comeon, we expect better brain juice and creativeness than that!!

DarkKnight Rides again

the winning picture for the theme 'change' to me, was more like art, and then taking picture of the art piece..very good concept, but i'm sure many didn't expect to come up with such a picture whilst wandering around.. if i remember correctly, last year's winning shots had a more candid nature to it, with the message being the strongest point..

i think its just different judges choosing what they feel are the better pictures..

but anyway, agreed with the previous post, the picture of hulk poster?? like what the.... :dunno:

However, some of the concepts are also questionable.

Well, i believe that as photographers, we should be more receptive to open/controversial ideas and concepts for pictures, whether questionable or not. :p

Simply, do the maths, and keep the snappers happy, shorter wait, some snacks, energy food.....Hey! Philipines snappers got lunch and dinner know......

While I agree that the Hulk photo should not be there, I have to comment on your statement above.

We (I live in Manila before I moved here) are limited to 300-400 participants MAX in the Phil, only Canon DSLRs are allowed (no P&S and other brands) and you're confined to a set area to shoot (last year, it was the Makati CBD only, this year were two private nature compounds). I'm sure if you're faced with those factors, you'll have issues as well of not being able to join (if non-Canon user), too confined areas, etc... The logistics and target marketing involved are totally different. (Philippines is spelled with 2 "p's", by the way)

Let's ask Canon to limit the marathon to Canon DSLR users only and 500 participants max on both categories... Who wants to start a petition?

$10 for a chance to win those prizes are not "treating people well"? C'mon, if you want free food, give-aways and all, maybe it's not the photo contest you're after.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what is the winning photos for theme 1?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.