Canon Photomarathon Asia 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I can see is that the bird is not inside the cage-like light. So it has freedom. It is probably better if the bird was flying off but then we can't really tell unless we see the actual photo. BTW congratulation for winning :D

Hi harlequin, just added you.

When your photo was announce for 2nd prize, you are not the only one who was suprised, people around have negative comments, eg "huh?! can someone enlighten me???"

Ignore them... Use your new camera take more beautiful images. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

hey harlequin, congrats on winning 2nd place.

take that as an encouragement and continue shooting nice pictures.

Cheers!

It was my first time taking part in the photomarathon, so I have no means to compare to last year. But on the whole, I think the event was not organised very well.

1. They invited a speaker to share his experience, and yet they end up rushing him before he could fully speak what he wanted to say to the audience. End up, he was scrolling his pictures so fast that I couldn't even appreciate them fully. I thought that was quite disrespectful.

2. Time-keeping. So much for the Official Clock. I think they should have started at 9am sharp, and observed the 3.5 hours time. It is very unfair to those who came or came back early. In a real running marathon, they would have started w/o waiting for the late comers. The late-comers will play catch-up their own. I think it is only fair. If not, as the years go by, Canon Photomarathon will end up like Chinese Wedding Dinner. "Oh, sure start late one, no need go so early..". Who knows, maybe we start at 10am next yr and end at 11pm.

I think many would have been able to see the results and not leave before, if the event ddn't end so late.

3. No free gifts like ice-cream? Not so important, after all 10 bucks only. with free A4 printout and a t-shirt, i don't think we are very much short-changed. Anyway, if there is free ice-cream, there will be a snaky queue as well.

4. Restrict to Canon users? I don't quite agree, because I think most of us have our shooting cliques, and not all of them are canon users. I am sure the aim of most of us joining the marathon is also to have fun..

5. Some of the shots were nice, but looked like taken in a studio. Some went home to take a pictures to fit the theme. I was thinking "Hey, this is like a marathon, shouldn't we be running around for the spirit of it?" It's like running 42km, you started 1km, then u head back to ur nice air-conditioned gym, run for 40km (with occasional breaks), and den run the remaining 1km towards the finishing point. I think its really unfair for those people who were really running around, squating low and high just to grab a frame of LIFE that fits the theme.

Sorry, I salute to the street-shooters whose works were featured. The studio-shooters, your works were nice, but.. sorry, the spirit is not there.

Last edited:
Hi harlequin, just added you.

When your photo was announce for 2nd prize, you are not the only one who was suprised, people around have negative comments, eg "huh?! can someone enlighten me???"

Ignore them... Use your new camera take more beautiful images. ;)

To admit, I was one of those who was surprised. That does not mean I despised u. The very fact that pp are surprised shows a lot but I respect your courage to admit that it is your work. Therefore I am very sure that u would create nice pics in future cause u have the ability to accept criticisms. Keep shooting and give us the wow

5. Some of the shots were nice, but looked like taken in a studio. Some went home to take a pictures to fit the theme. I was thinking "Hey, this is like a marathon, shouldn't we be running around for the spirit of it?" It's like running 42km, you started 1km, then u head back to ur nice air-conditioned gym, run for 40km (with occasional breaks), and den run the remaining 1km towards the finishing point. I think its really unfair for those people who were really running around, squating low and high just to grab a frame of LIFE that fits the theme.

Sorry, I salute to the street-shooters whose works were featured. The studio-shooters, your works were nice, but.. sorry, the spirit is not there.

I tend to agree. When I first joined last yr, I was shocked that that winning entries were saloon shots if I termed it correctly. This yr, I joined to check whether the same thing would happened again. It happened again. Frankly speaking, i love photography because I love to capture life in diff ways but this was not to be so in the Canon photomarathon. I am not saying that the shots are not gd but i agree, it lacks spirit.

I always remember the first prize of the 1st marathon under the theme, when time stops. The winning photo was a picture of the birds flying off and captured in flight. The execution,, technical quality and concept was fantastic. That was what prompt me to join.

It seems that that shot was taken in studio. :think:

yea I also think the prawn shot looks like a studio short....can the winner verify.
Actually quite possible to ask the shop to provide the item and shoot it at location also ... needs mutliple flash and a nice white back ground ... only thing... i dun know how to make the prawn stand up .... either that or it looks like it was shot off a poster ... :dunno:

Um hi guys, I just started photography like... Just a month ago, and I'm using a 450D. And actually I won second prize for the theme freedom in the student cat. I'm really shocked, to be honest.

Here's my flickr, add me!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harlequin-/

:)

wow ... u have some creative eye in your shots in your flickr ! .... I should have more frend slike you to provide inputs ... hahaha

Last edited:
Haha, I did just start photography last month only, so I'm not really good yet ^-^"

at least the bird wont ask for its share of the winnings. For the guys who took pictures with people in them, good luck if they ask for a share especially the Dream assignments. I think got the finalist of an indian staring at a car so if the indian found out and goes to Canon about it, good game liao.

hi harlequin, i didnt join the marathon this year bt i saw yr winning pic on the website. i thought it was gd enuf for first prize to me. in my opinion, it showed there was some thought process made on the theme 'freedom' that made u submit this pic so 2me,that showed your creativity :) and ur pic was really 'think out of the box/cage'. in short, i like. hahaha

Just my 2 cents worths :) all the best in your new journey in photography yah, i wish you luck. someday, if you continue working hard, i believe you canl be amongst some of the great thinking photographers (think before you shoot) in the field so yayy!

Finally the photos are up on the website...

strangely i felt the students' works were much better than the open category ones who "made the selection", more creativity, more effort, more attention to details and concept. I'm sure they will be around in 09, more challenging! :bsmilie:
(given some of the shots in open cat and from last year's...i believe i will see even more jump shots in 09. Haaa :sweat: )

Congrats to the winners this year!

p.s
where's that "ChangE Singapore Airport" ?? Surely it's so much more better than most of the selected ones. Cheeky and creative :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

Hi harlequin-

Congra for getting 2nd shot.

I like the photo. Very conceptual to me.

Art isn`t 100% success to everyone. Some will like it while some wont like it. However just shoot more for everyone to see!! =D

Cheer!!

p.s
where's that "ChangE Singapore Airport" ?? Surely it's so much more better than most of the selected ones. Cheeky and creative :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

I think it barely skimmed the surface of creativity... No offense. ;) Points for cheeky-ness tho.

Last edited:
since the event is over, thread will be closed.

if the marathoners wish to showcase their catch of the day, kindly do so in the photo galleries. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.