Canon or Nikon? Nikon or Canon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
burnt_toastsg said:
Hmm...seems like the Minolta Dynax 5 is a highly recommended one huh! :cool:

And here I am thinking that Canon and Nikon are the hot faves.. ;p

<quote> It's shutter speed ranges from 30sec to 1/2000 in 1/2 steps. The F75 is built rather close to the F80 in feature/performance but it lacks the capability to push/pull film speed (ASA/ISO), thus if you are going to need this feature, you may wanna consider the more matured F80 as an option.
<unquote>

What's pushing/pulling film speed for? Heheh..this is a total newbie, one who hasnt exactly exposed to the world of photography. :D

Hi there,
actually what is in your mind first of getting a new camera?

Joe :)

Hi Joe

do you mean what do I want out of my camera? Hmm..lemme try to answer that..

It should be easy to use for a newbie like me. If possible, I hope it can take me a level after beginner's. (BTW, am attending my first intro to basic photography class this week) :)

I would like to take pics of children/people/pets in action, nice scenery and buildings. Also would like to explore with black and white film and different lenses.

hmmm..does that answer the question? ;p

Zerstorer said:
What the F75 lacks is the manual ISO override setting, which is useful if one uses bulk rolled film.

For normal pushing or pulling, one can just make use of the EV compensation adjustments. Since the F75 allows up to +-3EV, it is more than adequate such needs.

bulk roll the film in the same iso number canister as the film can already...

burnt_toastsg said:
Hi Joe

do you mean what do I want out of my camera? Hmm..lemme try to answer that..

It should be easy to use for a newbie like me. If possible, I hope it can take me a level after beginner's. (BTW, am attending my first intro to basic photography class this week) :)

I would like to take pics of children/people/pets in action, nice scenery and buildings. Also would like to explore with black and white film and different lenses.

hmmm..does that answer the question? ;p

dont worry too much about these equipment issues. great pictures can be taken with ancient camera like the Nikon FM and the likes. these newer cameras just make things easier with the use of electronics. if you really want to explore in the wonders of capturing light and the lack of light, then anycamera is fine. full manual ones give you the steepest learning curve because you do everything yourself... ;)

showtime said:
dont worry too much about these equipment issues. great pictures can be taken with ancient camera like the Nikon FM and the likes. these newer cameras just make things easier with the use of electronics. if you really want to explore in the wonders of capturing light and the lack of light, then anycamera is fine. full manual ones give you the steepest learning curve because you do everything yourself... ;)

Well said.... Sometimes, we'll all caught up in all these new tenologies that we tend to take the basic of photography for granted..... I mean, how may of us out there really know what aperature and shuttle speed setting to use just by looking at the lighting conditions. Even so, we'll still somehow use the metering system to confirm it for us...

:D

What's this MASP thingy? I've read briefly through the Minolta's specs but can't really grasp the meaning...yet.

Can the F75 or F80 be used as manual? Or is it fully auto? There're some cameras which "offer a choice" rite? or not? :think:

burnt_toastsg said:
What's this MASP thingy? I've read briefly through the Minolta's specs but can't really grasp the meaning...yet.

Can the F75 or F80 be used as manual? Or is it fully auto? There're some cameras which "offer a choice" rite? or not? :think:

MASP means

M: Manual
A: Aperature Piorty
S: Shuttle Piorty
P: Program mode.

Any camera with the standard MASP modes of cos can be use as manual....

the F80 and 75 can be used manual for everything... apperture, shutter, focusing, even manual flash output if you attach a seperate flash on the hot shoe. so no worries on these aspects

burnt_toastsg said:
Yo fellas!
Another newbie in town looking for help... :sweat:

Looking around for an SLR but dunno what to look for. Had my eyes on the Canon EOS300 but then they got distracted by the Nikon 75! What's the diff between the 2? Canon or Nikon? Nikon or Canon? Budget? Er..less than $800??

Oh yah, there's this f-point no. on the lens...whazzat? Only know the lower the pointer, the better the lens (but also more expensive) but is it? :dunno:

Can enlighten?

:cheers:
burnt

Care for a good start in photography for a basic set-up totalling under S$800?

Consider 2nd hand mint gear at The Camera Workshop or some others around Peninsula. I can only help on Nikon side but you may hate me for this proposal (all manuals stuff, AF)...kekeek...FM2+35-70mm f/3.3-4.5(+OEM flash, or none)...this is not bad.

Just my 2cts worth

Status
Not open for further replies.