Canon is No. 1 in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, the release of the 40D and 450D is giving Canon a big boost in DSLR sales (e.g., see BCN ranking). Whether they can maintain this momentum will depend on further DSLR releases throughout the year. If Nikon releases the D80 successor with the D300 sensor, it's bound to attract a lot of attention. Canon should therefore strategically release another APS-C DSLR to counter that. The release of the 5D MkII will only help promote Canon's reputation, not boost sales since it's bound to be rather expensive for most folks.

canon should release an affordable Full Frame. :bsmilie:

If only it means cheaper prices.. lol

Sony as 2nd is a surprise.

Always thought it was a fight between Canon and Nikon with Sony as the new kid on the block.

I'm not sure abt FF, but there are many areas that Canon can explore to up their market share.

And personally, i'm into ergonomics....

Not surprising, considering the D300, D3, 24=70, and of course, 14-24

Not surprising, considering the D300, D3, 24=70, and of course, 14-24

These items hardly make a dent in DSLR sales. They're too expensive for most mortals. For 2007, we should be mostly looking at 350D/400D/30D and Nikon D40/D40x/D80.

How affordable is affordable? Its so subjective. Then with affordable FF comes good lenses to match. How affordable will FF be then?

S$2000 for a Full Frame is affordable for me.;)

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9882670-39.html

Do you think it can maintain its top position for DSLR in 2008?

no. the d300 and d3 are too good and will have garnered lots of converts in 2008.
what improvements canon can make is largely catchup - i don't see anything as groundbreaking as nikons recent giant strides, and only serve to maintain whatever share they have when the canon's new cameras become available.

regardless, they'll be forced to play the lower price game. and i relish the thought that all those complacent canon executives who milked us for the minor upgrades from the 20D through 40D will be penalised for their mis-steps.

2008 is exceptional is that competition is coming from Sony, Nikon and Sigma in their DP-1 compact (Canon missed being the first to put a full size ccd in a compact though dominating that segment too) and will be under pressure from all fronts.

in short, canon will be knocked off its lofty perch and the competition winning in their own ways.

my views only :) YMMV.

That's mostly due to compact digicams. Their DSLR sales is quite pitiful.

Agree. However Sony has a bottomless war chest and Canon is wise to view it as a great threat. While the earlier Alpha is a joke, the latest A350 has excellent live-view implementation and A900 would surpass its competition in some ways. In any case, Sony will not give up even if these 2 falter.

no. the d300 and d3 are too good and will have garnered lots of converts in 2008.
what improvements canon can make is largely catchup - i don't see anything as groundbreaking as nikons recent giant strides, and only serve to maintain whatever share they have when the canon's new cameras become available.

regardless, they'll be forced to play the lower price game. and i relish the thought that all those complacent canon executives who milked us for the minor upgrades from the 20D through 40D will be penalised for their mis-steps.

2008 is exceptional is that competition is coming from Sony, Nikon and Sigma in their DP-1 compact (Canon missed being the first to put a full size ccd in a compact though dominating that segment too) and will be under pressure from all fronts.

in short, canon will be knocked off its lofty perch and the competition winning in their own ways.

my views only :) YMMV.

Agree. D300 has been flying off the shelves in some camera shops but these numbers will only register for 2008. It is quite reasonably priced and affordable for serious people. Nikon has revamped almost its entire trinity so the 14-24 and 24-70 will be attractive to some. D60 may also garner many fans. So for Canon users we really hope that Canon will strike back in 2008! Bring on the goodies.

Your analysis is COMPLETELY WRONG.

Firstly, the D300/D3 have VERY little impact on market share simply because their prices keep them out of the reach of most amateurs and hobbyists.

Secondly, it is actually Nikon playing catch-up, NOT the other way round. How long has Canon been having FF sensors? How long has Canon been using 45 pt AF sensor while Nikon only had the miserable 11 pt AF sensor in their noisy, 4 MP D2H (a professional sports camera)?

Nikon's success in 2007 is due to the COMBINED sales of NEW DSLRs: D40/D40x/D80 (the D40/D40x/D80 were announced/released in Nov 06, Mar 07 and Aug 06 respectively while the competing Canon 350D/400D/30D were announced/released earlier in Feb 05, Aug 06 and Feb 06). The D40/D40x/D80 are beginner/amateur models which are the LOWEST priced DSLRs as well.

It's now rather obvious that lower end cameras are FAR more important in terms of market share.

Canon can be successful in 2008 if they follow the footsteps of their competitors: constantly release a whole slew of new camera models regardless of how similar they are. The idea is very much like the sales of compact digicams. You can verify the fact that new releases always boost market shares by looking at current DSLR sales chart in BCN ranking (for the Japanese market alone): the combined sales of 40D/450D/400D adds up to 42.2% of the market share while that for the D60/D80/D40 is 17.7%. See:
http://bcnranking.jp/category/subcategory_0008.html

Other factors that affected Canon sales were (i) rather poor QC of the 400D, namely, the infamous underexposure problem. Imagine a customer shooting with a defective underexposing 400D alongside a competing brand in a shop. Guess which camera he'll buy. (ii) aggressive noise reduction and punchy out-of-camera colors/contrast offered by Nikon entry-level DSLRs (iii) a lack-lustre 20D to 30D upgrade (iv) availability of the Nikkor 18-200 VR.

Errr... how many Sigma DP-1 and Sony R1 cameras do you think have been sold??? :bsmilie: In fact, the dismal sales of the R1 forced Sony to withdraw the product from the market rather quickly.

From http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9882670-39.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
Canon COMPLETELY dominates the camera scene in 2007 despite the slower GROWTH of their DSLR market shares as compared to Nikon:

Whole market (both compact and DSLR):
1. Canon - 18.8%
2. Sony - 16% (whose success comes from compact digicams alone)
3. Kodak - 9.6% (which only sells compact digicams)

DSLR:
1. Canon - 3.18 million - 42.7%
2. Nikon - 2.98 million - 40%
(Note that Olympus/Sony/Pentax/Samsung/Panasonic can only be contented with a dismal 17.3% COMBINED market share.)

Notice how the 40D is NOW priced to match the D60? So, Nikon now needs to respond to the STUPENDOUS SUCCESS of the 40D+450D combo (see BCN link above) by releasing a more decent upgrade for their D80 unlike the lacklustre D40x -> D60. And Canon will hopefully counter that with an even cheaper D40 killer. Etc, etc, etc... I hope you get the picture: competition is good for consumers. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Your analysis is COMPLETELY WRONG.

Firstly, the D300/D3 have VERY little impact on market share simply because their prices keep them out of the reach of most amateurs and hobbyists.

Secondly, it is actually Nikon playing catch-up, NOT the other way round. How long has Canon been having FF sensors? How long has Canon been using 45 pt AF sensor while Nikon only had the miserable 11 pt AF sensor in their noisy, 4 MP D2H (a professional sports camera)?

Nikon's success in 2007 is due to the COMBINED sales of NEW DSLRs: D40/D40x/D80 (the D40/D40x/D80 were announced/released in Nov 06, Mar 07 and Aug 06 respectively while the competing Canon 350D/400D/30D were announced/released earlier in Feb 05, Aug 06 and Feb 06). The D40/D40x/D80 are beginner/amateur models which are the LOWEST priced DSLRs as well.

It's now rather obvious that lower end cameras are FAR more important in terms of market share.

Canon can be successful in 2008 if they follow the footsteps of their competitors: constantly release a whole slew of new camera models regardless of how similar they are. The idea is very much like the sales of compact digicams. You can verify the fact that new releases always boost market shares by looking at current DSLR sales chart in BCN ranking (for the Japanese market alone): the combined sales of 40D/450D/400D adds up to 42.2% of the market share while that for the D60/D80/D40 is 17.7%. See:
http://bcnranking.jp/category/subcategory_0008.html

Other factors that affected Canon sales were (i) rather poor QC of the 400D, namely, the infamous underexposure problem. Imagine a customer shooting with a defective underexposing 400D alongside a competing brand in a shop. Guess which camera he'll buy. (ii) aggressive noise reduction and punchy out-of-camera colors/contrast offered by Nikon entry-level DSLRs (iii) a lack-lustre 20D to 30D upgrade (iv) availability of the Nikkor 18-200 VR.

Errr... how many Sigma DP-1 and Sony R1 cameras do you think have been sold??? :bsmilie: In fact, the dismal sales of the R1 forced Sony to withdraw the product from the market rather quickly.

From http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9882670-39.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
Canon COMPLETELY dominates the camera scene in 2007 despite the slower GROWTH of their DSLR market shares as compared to Nikon:

Whole market (both compact and DSLR):
1. Canon - 18.8%
2. Sony - 16% (whose success comes from compact digicams alone)
3. Kodak - 9.6% (which only sells compact digicams)

DSLR:
1. Canon - 3.18 million - 42.7%
2. Nikon - 2.98 million - 40%
(Note that Olympus/Sony/Pentax/Samsung/Panasonic can only be contented with a dismal 17.3% COMBINED market share.)

Notice how the 40D is NOW priced to match the D60? So, Nikon now needs to respond to the STUPENDOUS SUCCESS of the 40D+450D combo (see BCN link above) by releasing a more decent upgrade for their D80 unlike the lacklustre D40x -> D60. And Canon will hopefully counter that with an even cheaper D40 killer. Etc, etc, etc... I hope you get the picture: competition is good for consumers. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

dude just a discussion - not sure how you can be so sure when 2008 hasn't ended ?;)

the lead is very slender at end 2007 and my analysis is hinges on the idea that once canon loses its thought leadership and technological expertise, it will find it hard to reclaim that space.

the historial fact you posed is outdated by the slew of recent launches. take it another way nikon is AHEAD of canon in recent times to catchup.

it had the chance to put the competition away for good when it had ample share and budgets, but threw away that chance.

as for the case for sigma's DP-1 it means that canon missed the opportunity to launch a top fo the line camera ahead of its G9. but missed that too. sigma launched this at US799 the g9 can be had for S$800. see the dilemma it poses for canon?

all in all technological expertiese decline > profits decline. the perception of canon being the great camera brand is dimininishing very quickly. and ability to respond will be capped from pricing pressures - note that nikon and sigma and sony are also committed, and being first ables them the price high, and in any tech sales game, have the ability to drop price while creaming the supernormal profits at the time.

kudos for nikon/sony/sigma = this reeks so much of a text-book marketing case study. i can already imagine MBA students discussing these points under a class called "market leadership and how to break the stranglehold".

aside from the obvious (competition is good), the unfolding drama will be something i'll be following. by sheer corporate size and depth of pockets, you can't ignore that sony will be matching canon every step of the way in DSLR launches - both in sensor/bodies and in lens (with their collaboration with zeiss).

Status
Not open for further replies.