Canon G1X !

Hi,
Saw that it was offered in the PC show leaflet. Anyone bought it?

Buy from authorised local shops for 10% cheaper then redeem gifts from Canon booth at Suntec or Keppel tower

sold away the 500gb hdd so i guess it cuts out to the same price.

Yo...dear G1X Bros..
Anyone bought G1X recently? May i know which shop has the best deal? thanks in advanced.
(^ ^)

Hi,
Bought G1x yesterday evening at Singapore Expo Sale by Harvey Norman.
$899 with 8Gb Card, Case and 3rd party Battery.

hi all guru...planning to get this camera for a hiking trip...is it a good idea???

depends on what you want to shoot.... flowers? prob not because it cannot do close up photography. faraway objects prob not because it's effective focal length isn't that long. Want to shoot fast moving objects such as birds and moving animals prob not because its af is not fast. Other than that i feel it ia excellent camera and i love the tilt screen and high iso performance.

For me, G1x is the best all-in-one alternative to a DSLR for travel/landscape, even some street photography. Happy with the IQ and did not encounter much problem with the "SLOW" AF. The zoom range covers 80% needs. One minor annoyance is the Video Button too close to the thumb rest. Accidentally turn it on a few times.

Hi, I just bought a G1X Mk2
Is there a tread here dedicated for G1X owner?

Hi, I just bought a G1X Mk2
Is there a tread here dedicated for G1X owner?

Wow... how much did you pay for it? I see the Canon website and it costed S$1099... if that is the price... it is wayyyy over my budget.

Wow... how much did you pay for it? I see the Canon website and it costed S$1099... if that is the price... it is wayyyy over my budget.

The inner dual ring doesn't seems to b in a very comfortable position when holding it. Apart from tat, the rest of the features are quite promising.

hmmm how much did you buy it ah :D

Any CSer able to share the experience of the mk2? Wanted to get one but was quite hesitant when read some neg review on the sharpness at wide open.

Any CSer able to share the experience of the mk2? Wanted to get one but was quite hesitant when read some neg review on the sharpness at wide open.

Ya man, I thinking of getting either G1X Mk II or the upcoming Sony RX200.....think I prefer RX200 look but I believe will be more expensive than G1X Mk II....

Ya man, I thinking of getting either G1X Mk II or the upcoming Sony RX200.....think I prefer RX200 look but I believe will be more expensive than G1X Mk II....

I guess you meant RX100 MkIII?
Rumor said announcement tmr...
Actually what is so special about G1X Mk II?
Tested at vivo showroom, nothing surprised me to be frank...
For that price point, they are many options from other brands.

Nope I meant the *rumored* RX200. Not interested in RX100M3 due to short focal range.

I am not that knowledgeable on all the other models in the G1XM2's price range but just comparing against RX100M3, the Canon has both longer focal range (albeit a bit slower) and significantly larger sensor than Sony. I believe when released the Sony will be more expensive than the Canon since its official price was announced as €849 (which is more than S$1.4k) and nowadays Sony don't have discount for its premium models anymore.

Last edited:

g1x ii is an update rather than a model with revolutionary new technology. Its main focus is still bringing image comparable to a dslr with kit lens setup at in a more compact form.

When i bought mark i, it was nothing impressive when i test at showroom but it was one of a few with lots of manual control so i took a risk and bought it. The real surprise is just in one area: IQ, which is hard to 'see' unless u open the raw file in a computer.

Now mark ii's update makes it a more competent for general usage, maintaining the IQ.

As in my review if mark i, g1x seems to have a specific audience in mind. Definitely not for people who wants 'wow' factor in technical aspects such as the nikon v system in af speed or ultra fps.

The G1X II is a hidden gem. But unfortunately, based on present day needs and interests, I think it doesn't appeal to many. Personally, I was looking forward to it initially but after trying it, it just didn't "feel" like I was keen on it any more.

It's hard to say what it is. Perhaps it tries to be "compact" but the weight (>500g) and size just don't fit that description. But I feel the main minus point is the bulky front. Not sure if the dual ring adjustments are ergonomically designed. It's awkward to turn the inner ring for something essential and is it necessary to design it this way?

Image quality wise there is no doubt it is excellent. But if the "feel" is not there, and it's so pricey, it's hard to justify the purchase. It will probably do better if there aren't many other options available for that price.

Just my humble opinion... :)

Nope I meant the *rumored* RX200. Not interested in RX100M3 due to short focal range.

I am not that knowledgeable on all the other models in the G1XM2's price range but just comparing against RX100M3, the Canon has both longer focal range (albeit a bit slower) and significantly larger sensor than Sony. I believe when released the Sony will be more expensive than the Canon since its official price was announced as €849 (which is more than S$1.4k) and nowadays Sony don't have discount for its premium models anymore.
The rumoured RX200 from April 2014 had the same focal range than the now released RX100mkIII. Good luck with the RX200.

The G1X II is a hidden gem. But unfortunately, based on present day needs and interests, I think it doesn't appeal to many. Personally, I was looking forward to it initially but after trying it, it just didn't "feel" like I was keen on it any more.

It's hard to say what it is. Perhaps it tries to be "compact" but the weight (>500g) and size just don't fit that description. But I feel the main minus point is the bulky front. Not sure if the dual ring adjustments are ergonomically designed. It's awkward to turn the inner ring for something essential and is it necessary to design it this way?

Image quality wise there is no doubt it is excellent. But if the "feel" is not there, and it's so pricey, it's hard to justify the purchase. It will probably do better if there aren't many other options available for that price.

Just my humble opinion... :)
I'm not aware of the many other options available. The only one I know is the RX 100 series. Others have either a smaller sensor or just a prime lens.

I'm not aware of the many other options available. The only one I know is the RX 100 series. Others have either a smaller sensor or just a prime lens.

By "other options", I don't necessarily mean the sensor size has to be the same. For example, the micro 4/3 sensor may be smaller than the G1X II's, but the versatility of the system does draw the market away from the G1X II. Consider the higher price point of the G1X II also.

And like I said, the weight and bulk makes this cam kinda not here nor there. There are entry level DSLRs which are just slightly heavier but cheaper than the G1X II. This again could draw the crowd away from the G1X II.

Anyway, I'm just voicing my personal opinions of the camera based on my use of it and mini analysis. I still think it's a great camera if one is concerned with image quality. If anyone thinks it's a suitable cam for themselves, go get it! One man's meat is another man's poison. :)