Canon EOS 450D Club -TCSS Lim Kopi Session: Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, today i went for my virgin night shots and i found that i still cannot compose a picture well. Out of 30+ photos only 4 so-so. Can you guys take a look and tell me whats wrong? :cry:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernutz/

Just some thoughts here:

Rolling Wheel: The idea of the slow shutter to make the wheel "ghost" like rolling is pretty good. However, need to take note of your camera tilting. The flyer seems like falling to the right.

Moon Flyer: I don't really get the idea of the shot. By reading the title, I know you are trying to express the Moon and the Flyer but this shot fails to convince me. You need to think about how to compose the shot on the next attempt ;).

Merlion: Whites on the Merlion overexposed on some areas. Picture too tight.

Away from Flyer: Car lights are too untidy. Too much cropping. You may need to take a few more shots to get better lights and composition. What shutter speed are you using?

Shoot more :thumbsup:.

hmm...anyone noes hw to turn off our lcd panel? tried going thru the menus only found 1 to turn it off when we look thru the viewfinder.

There's a button above the left side of the screen which you can manually press to turn off the display.

Hi guys, today i went for my virgin night shots and i found that i still cannot compose a picture well. Out of 30+ photos only 4 so-so. Can you guys take a look and tell me whats wrong? :cry:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernutz/

Composition takes time and experience. It's about how you can first see or visualize even before you snap a picture.

What we see in terms of lens' focal length is about 35mm.

Night photography is also about your subjects. Trail lights will be nice if all are in one direction with a mix of colours. Motion blur on certain subjects work but in this case not the flyer.

A good way to learn and fasten your compositing skills is to look at the Photo Galleries section. I learnt a lot from there. :)

Just some thoughts here:

Rolling Wheel: The idea of the slow shutter to make the wheel "ghost" like rolling is pretty good. However, need to take note of your camera tilting. The flyer seems like falling to the right.

Moon Flyer: I don't really get the idea of the shot. By reading the title, I know you are trying to express the Moon and the Flyer but this shot fails to convince me. You need to think about how to compose the shot on the next attempt ;).

Away from Flyer: Car lights are too untidy. Too much cropping. You may need to take a few more shots to get better lights and composition. What shutter speed are you using?

Thanks for your comments.

Yah the rolling wheel was kinda like rolling to the right. I took a few shots at that angel but it all came out that way.. I wonder why.

I wanted to write moon & flyer. But i key in wrongly and was lazy to change haha :x.

The merlion was kinda sad.. It took a few photos and they looked not too shabby on the viewfinder but when i got home. I realized that they were overexposed.

As for the last one, the shutter speed used was 20secs

I think i keep forgetting to think of what i want to express before i take a shot. Still got lots to learn man :(

Composition takes time and experience. It's about how you can first see or visualize even before you snap a picture.

Night photography is also about your subjects. Trail lights will be nice if all are in one direction with a mix of colours. Motion blur on certain subjects work but in this case not the flyer.

A good way to learn and fasten your compositing skills is to look at the Photo Galleries section. I learnt a lot from there. :)

Ok thanks for the advise!

scud jots down notes in his notepad.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just some thoughts here:

Learning from each other.

Anything to impart from your side?

No prob. Look forward to the Punggol trip. It will be a test of compositing again. =)

Too bad i can't join you guys for that. Gotta work on tuesday

Woo. That's something interesting.

How to go about doing it? :think:

in M mode, set to f8, shutter at 1s, ISO800. flash set at rear sync.
this method normally used during food presentation (the 1st course).

in M mode, set to f8, shutter at 1s, ISO800. flash set at rear sync.
this method normally used during food presentation (the 1st course).
wouldn't the pic be blurry without tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.