Canon EF-S 17 - 55 mm F2.8 IS lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want!!! But the price tag of 1150 (USD i tink) turns me off :cry:

EFS again......with this kind of price ad mount,must as well stick with the 17-40L or
buy the new sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 cheap and review is good.but not an ex len:cry:
keep the money and buy a better len......maybe a tele len?!@#%$

1150 US$! Can't imagine it.

it's kinda stupid... canon is trying to match Nikon's with addition of I.S.

Let's see how much it protrude when zoom... I bet it won't be as good as the nikon's equivalent...

:eek:

Yeah, with that price one can as well get 17-40 L plus a 70-300 IS.

when Nikon goes prosumer (18-200DX VR) from pro (17-55/2.8DX), Canon goes from prosumer (EF-S18-55, EF-S17-85IS) to "pro" (EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS) ;p

In terms of competition, the EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS is matched against the equally, if not more, expensive Nikon AF-S 17-55/2.8 non VR. Think it'll mainly appeal to the pros or advanced amateurs who intends to stick to the 1.6x crop DSLRs.

I think that lens is going to be a hit among full time photographers or ameteurs using the 20D.

they should not have put in IS so that the price will be cheaper hehe

JediForce4ever said:
Agree..IS is quite redundant with the f2.8...guess they are despo to overtake Nikon's 17-55...

hmm...not really...fast lens is for freezing action while IS is for longer exposure (either due to low light or special effect - such as panning or capturing of motion blur)

Not really redundant lah.. I think it'll be a great versatile lens for travelling. :)

Say, if u r taking pictures in a large cathedral or museum that prohibit flash & tripod (very likely in europe), you can use it wide open @ f2.8 to freeze action for taking pics of pple (your family or friend etc), and use it stop down with the IS function to take the pics of the interior.

But then, of course u can always argue that u don't mind to bring a 17-85IS partnering with a prime lens..

actually, if optically it is as good as nikon's 17-55 f2.8, I am sure it will sell well.

I mean the nikon 17-55 f2.8 cost more than USD1150 I think, with no VR.

I wonder why is it not an L lens? just because it is not full frame? but doesn't matter, if it is optically very good, which will you buy for a 20D/30D? 24-105 f4 L or 17-55 f2.8?

Personally I think I will still go for the 24-105 f4.

Wai said:
hmm...not really...fast lens is for freezing action while IS is for longer exposure (either due to low light or special effect - such as panning or capturing of motion blur)

But now it's not F4 IS. It's F2.8 IS. It's both fast, and IS. Canon is capitalising on the high ISO strength to enable natural light shooting indoors. If 24-105 is F2.8L is IS, I'll probably rob a bank or borrow from loan sharks.

wind30 said:
I wonder why is it not an L lens? just because it is not full frame? but doesn't matter, if it is optically very good, which will you buy for a 20D/30D? 24-105 f4 L or 17-55 f2.8?

Canon said it's on par with the Ls from what I read :) but definitely, it's great for users to have more lens choices, especially for the very good ones!

shinken said:
But now it's not F4 IS. It's F2.8 IS. It's both fast, and IS. Canon is capitalising on the high ISO strength to enable natural light shooting indoors. If 24-105 is F2.8L is IS, I'll probably rob a bank or borrow from loan sharks.

Agree it is a good combination except for the fact its an EF-S lens. Still waiting for the perfect combination of price, range, IS, size and price but this lens comes pretty close for a good walk around lens.

medallion said:
I want!!! But the price tag of 1150 (USD i tink) turns me off :cry:

Wah Kao *(&*(&
another expensive EFS lens

Kongo said:
Not really redundant lah.. I think it'll be a great versatile lens for travelling. :)

Say, if u r taking pictures in a large cathedral or museum that prohibit flash & tripod (very likely in europe), you can use it wide open @ f2.8 to freeze action for taking pics of pple (your family or friend etc), and use it stop down with the IS function to take the pics of the interior.

But then, of course u can always argue that u don't mind to bring a 17-85IS partnering with a prime lens..
agreed...IS is useful at certain situation where flash is not welcome...prefer ambience light than flash...I don't mind 85mm f1.2L with IS so that I can use lower ISO to get the best resolution...but too bad...not yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.