Canon 5D Mark II or Nikon D700

Which FX body?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is equal now.... more confused to choose :bsmilie:

What you heard is not unconstructive but a matter of the brand community you are in. When you are with particular brand community, it is normal to hear people either switching brand or upgrade between models.

As a non Nikon/Canon to begin with, I did not choose D700 because i find it's exterior design too scientific with buttons, too attract attention. As to the megapixel thing, IMO a photographer will frame and zoom accordingly to the camera MP he/she use with the initial intention of not to crop. (assuming not doing ultra large print).

nope, i'm not expecting anyone to flame. Please provide constructive comments. I need help here.

i'm moving onto FX now. I've sold all my DX lenses. So, I'm not sure if I should switch over to Canon. I've some friends who said the 5D Mk II is really good and are encouraging me to switch - they said I'll get more bang for my buck. Yes, I admit I haven't done much research (which is what I'm doing now).

Just want some opinions from those who have used or tried both? Want to know the pros and cons of each camera.

OT : in terms of the 'mirror slapping' sound, the Nikon sounds wayyyyy nicer than the Canon...

sorry i have this exotic fetish over the mirror slapping sound. :bsmilie:

:sweat::sweat: lots of my canon friend also commented this on my D700.....dunno why ppls like that sound.....i hate it when i'm doing street photography......

:sweat::sweat: lots of my canon friend also commented this on my D700.....dunno why ppls like that sound.....i hate it when i'm doing street photography......

You should hear the A900 one... So nice, like the film days... :heart::heart:

just went to sony style to try it, like a big metal thud. haha... sound wise, i think nikon sounds the best. but the pics are stunning, tried the alpha 900 with a 50mm f1.4. :)

when looking at the lens range, it's all about the same.

ergonomics wise, i prefer the d700 over the alpha900. alpha900 feels a bit too hard and stiff around my hands.

What you heard is not unconstructive but a matter of the brand community you are in. When you are with particular brand community, it is normal to hear people either switching brand or upgrade between models.

As a non Nikon/Canon to begin with, I did not choose D700 because i find it's exterior design too scientific with buttons, too attract attention. As to the megapixel thing, IMO a photographer will frame and zoom accordingly to the camera MP he/she use with the initial intention of not to crop. (assuming not doing ultra large print).

i think the d700 has better button layout than the 5D mark II. Just a personal preference. Yes, you're right, I won't crop the megapixel.

ergonomics wise, i prefer the d700 over the alpha900. alpha900 feels a bit too hard and stiff around my hands.

That's the most important thing to consider. :thumbsup:

Never heard before, but my film camera really sound better.......

Not sure about Canon......but when i shoot macro with D700 in high mag, can really feel my whole entire setup shake if i didn't use MLU.

But other than that, i still like my D700.......unless got ppls sponser me.....if not how to jump ship now with all my gears......

i views are :

1) if dont need video, d700
2) if need more rugged body, d700
3) if want cheaper creative lighting option, d700
4) if need 17mm tse lens, 5dmkll
5) if need good video, 5dmkll

Totally agreed with him. I personally got both recently. The reason i got D700 is for the battery and creative lighting (i was a nikon user and has a number of batteries and flash)

But i got a 5Dmk2 for the video and the lenses (nikon, contax, hasselblad thru adapter) I m really happy with this camera except for the additional functions the D700 has.

Both ISO are the same till 6400 usable for me. The Megapixel for 5D is impressive too but you need sharp lenses to get the details from the 21mb.

Uses sb800 on the 5dmk2 with wireless too but all manual or A mode.

Thats my 2 cents.

Well, I'm a Nikonian myself, but the thing is... I've heard many people switch to Canon for the 5D Mark II, haven't heard any people switching from Canon to the D700.

???? there is a very logical reason for this. Canon 5d2 is released months later than the D700.

People who bought the D700 when 5d2 is not available will be tempted to switch.

EVERYONE who bought the 5d2 was given the chance to buy the D700 when he made his purchase decision. Most people will think carefully before plonking down $3k+ so after they made their choice, D700 or 5d2, usually they stick with it.

up to a lvl ... its the camera man that matters ... not the cam liao ...

D700 or 5D MkII ... it wont matter that much than a camera man who know how to control lighting, pose models, capture the angle, capture the mood.

so to me it doesnt matter.

The D700 is way faster and more practical than the 5d Mk 2.Practically nothing gets in your way with the excellent button layout and ergonomics.However, the 5D Mk2 has stunning image quality which is only obvious when you print [SIZE="6"]BIG[/SIZE].

Get a D700 if you don't need the megapixels which 99.9% of us don't really need unless we print huge posters.When I mean huge, I mean more than 3m wide...

Get the 5D Mk 2 if you love studio and landscapes where absolute image quality is needed and if you love spending money on megapixels.

Both are good systems in my opinion.

My reason to choose the 5d
1) lens focus adjustment function,
2) the button / switches / dial layout a little more more neater. the metering switch on 700 is a pain and so does the c.s.m switch and top camera controls. Its everywhere.

My reason to choose the 700
1) built in flash,
2) more focusing point,
3) better egronomic, better to hold for longer time,
4) better top lcd display,
5) 8 fps with battery grip,

D700 has focus adjustment to.
No one cares about how neat buttons are on an SLR, aslong as they get the job done.
At the end of the day its 12 vs 21mp, Fast vs Slow, No video vs Video
CLS vs No CLS.

D700 has focus adjustment to.
No one cares about how neat buttons are on an SLR, aslong as they get the job done.

Totally disagree. Ergonomics matter a LOT.

At the end of the day its 12 vs 21mp, Fast vs Slow, No video vs Video
CLS vs No CLS.

Who really cares about CLS? I've seen people try to emphasize that their shots used CLS and they still looked bad. CLS will not make you a better photographer.

12 vs 21? 12 vs 24? How big do you print?

Fast vs. slow... in what sense? FPS? How often do you need to shoot a burst like that?

Video? Eeeh. Up to you if it's of value. To me, it has a long way to go and really doesn't matter to me. I'd rather they not charge me more for a feature i won't use.

If getting things done is more important, my Nikon FM2 (or other film SLRs) are better options. Full frame, no battery required, and can be use in very low temperature. Why bother to talk about 5D & D700...right?

Bro Happyfrog, you should have stayed with DX and wait for Nikon to come out with an FF camera with 21MP and video recording feature. This will be a killer camera, which will make many C users switch camp. But, if I have to choose now, my choice will be the D700.

Last edited:

Thanks for the link. Just want to share my opinion that the portrait photos taken with all 3 cameras are very good. I don't think resolution is a problem. It seems like the competition is really between different lens characteristics and performance now.

Status
Not open for further replies.