Canon 5D Mark II or Nikon D700

Which FX body?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT : in terms of the 'mirror slapping' sound, the Nikon sounds wayyyyy nicer than the Canon...

sorry i have this exotic fetish over the mirror slapping sound. :bsmilie:

Hi, 700 offers higher learning curve, sharper image and colour with its huge internal software & bigger area pixels. 5D2 offers a good 4 options of 70-200mm lens to all
without external barrel movements when zooming, to prevent collection-of-dust suction into lens. Before buying, visit showrooms & the-digital-picture.com.

Last edited:
OT : in terms of the 'mirror slapping' sound, the Nikon sounds wayyyyy nicer than the Canon...

sorry i have this exotic fetish over the mirror slapping sound. :bsmilie:

Agreed. ;)

decide on what u gonna use it for. simple. if u dont need the resolution of the canon, get the d700. don't get weight down with big files if u can help it. but from what i seen of your work so far, i think the canon is the way to go for u. or the a900. the d700 cant cut it for u.

So get an A900. Essentially the same sensor as the D3X.

not familiar with Sony's glasses. I have the impression that the Zeiss lenses are super expensive.

Don't you think you already had the answer?

What other opinion that u need to justify your moving to another brand?

Cos the 5D mk II is a superb camera too. High megapixel. And the d700 only has 95% view. but nikon's cls is also hard to give up.

First thing i would consider before the body is glass.
Sorry, but i'm the kind of guy who favours lens characteristics and such over ISO capabilities or megapixel count.

i think both canon L and nikkor lenses are both good. probably the mechanical build is better with nikkor. still both have good range of lenses so i'm not really particular with that.

sorry i have this exotic fetish over the mirror slapping sound.

yes, i prefer the nikon's slap too. haha. oh well :confused:

not familiar with Sony's glasses. I have the impression that the Zeiss lenses are super expensive.

About the same as the Nikon and Canon glass. Why not try to canvass?

you'll realized by now, it's really a matter of preference and you know what you want.
there will always be a certain advantage this brand has over the other one.
like you've said, you like/accustom certain ergonomics while it's good to have 100% view but 95% won't cause alot of problem as you can also crop of that 5%.
and there's always those who dread the weight of D700 compared to mk2.

so, it's better to 'play' with both cameras which would definitely give you the answer.
this is just my personal view only:)

If only die die need to choose between the 2, just get D700

If you are willing to try something thats much more worth it, get A900.

A900 is using a sensor similar to D3x but its much lower cost, around $4k nia.

The Carl Zeiss lenses are not much more expensive than Nikon's G lens and Canon's L lens.

You should go with nether. If you're not prepared to make your own decisions and instead rely on a popularity poll, you should wait until you know which camera is right for you.

i views are :

1) if dont need video, d700
2) if need more rugged body, d700
3) if want cheaper creative lighting option, d700
4) if need 17mm tse lens, 5dmkll
5) if need good video, 5dmkll

+ 1 for each of them.

I was in your shoe before, thought very hard & read almost every reviews on the net. So, I borrowed a 5D2 kit for few days then rented a D700+24-70 2.8. In the end I chose Nikon but this is me, you have to make your own decision.

At 1st I wanted a lightweight + general purpose lens for travels & product shoot & Canon is the one. But then realised that the body is too plasticky. The kit lens is nice though but I hated the playback which i need to press 2 buttons (can probably set). There is no pop-up flash so I need to bring along another flash gun. The video is not for me & I rarely do videos. My friend who conduct classes for Canon said he love the video & did a commercial out of it using a variety of lenses. He said it would take a very expensive Vcam to do the same job.

Anyway, I owned some Nikon lenses & flash so back to Nikon for me plus the D700 has a pop-up flash which is very useful to do fill-in. Later, I added a grip & improved handling but added the weight & bulk :( And unless I invest in the triple lenses, there's not much choices for good glass except old ones.

I don't pixel count too much & I think there's an article which mentioned that they squeezed too much pixels into the 5D2 sensor that didn't generate much diff or worse than a 5D. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

ISO @ 3200 was similar if I remembered right & @ >6400 the D700 is better but how often do we use this?

I can't remember the AF points between each but thought that the D700 is more intelligent & again, I don't need the 51pt+3D for what I do.

It's your choice mate. Both are good, have their strong & weak links.

Flash system the nikon is better.. take noted of this also;)

We can sit down and analyze things till the cows come home but at the end of the day, whichever marketing strategy works, you will end up buying their product. Be it Nikon, Canon or some other DSLR business war machine.

And cognitive dissonance is just an excuse to feel that you could afford something better. Just don't torture yourself with so much detail. It can be quite disconcerting. My advice to whoever is buying any product, do abit of your homework, list down the pros, cons and interesting points of each item that you'd like to buy and review them from there.

Happy buying. :)

people just love to heed the advise of other people's but never of themselves .... don't we?

when we think A is better, do some research or ask around and someone else tells you B is better, and later someone else tells you C is better, and goes on and on and on. it is a never ending story UNTIL you have splurge all your cash on it. when you got no more cash, you stop thinking of buying. but! the cycle repeats itself again in future - "which lens should i buy??"... "which body should i upgrade to??" ....

:bsmilie:

decide on what u gonna use it for. simple. if u dont need the resolution of the canon, get the d700. don't get weight down with big files if u can help it. but from what i seen of your work so far, i think the canon is the way to go for u. or the a900. the d700 cant cut it for u.

hmm... why is canon better suited for my work ya? care to explain?

hmm... why is canon better suited for my work ya? care to explain?

if u plan to do fashion shoots for print medium, its gonna get crop every other way. give urself more leeway n shoot with the highest res affordable. tats my feel on the situation. the details captured for fashion n beauty shot will come in useful compared to af speed and other operational benefits.

if u plan to do fashion shoots for print medium, its gonna get crop every other way. give urself more leeway n shoot with the highest res affordable. tats my feel on the situation. the details captured for fashion n beauty shot will come in useful compared to af speed and other operational benefits.

yes, i agree with the 12.1MP limitations. Thanks. Shall take that into consideration. :)

Tough decision. Think shall take the time off photography for awhile, and go play around more before jumping into a decision. :)

I use Nik and Can. In this case between the two you mentioned, cut a long story short, buy 5DMk2. No need for long story, tiresome brand wars and troll baiting msgs. Yawn.....

yes, i agree with the 12.1MP limitations. Thanks. Shall take that into consideration. :)

Tough decision. Think shall take the time off photography for awhile, and go play around more before jumping into a decision. :)

haha. i think just shoot more and u will know what u need more soon enough. :bsmilie:

I read magazine reviews, seems like all are saying all is good. hmm... so, i'm not sure if they get incentives from these companies.

Hmm... tough decision, really tough.

i views are :

1) if dont need video, d700
2) if need more rugged body, d700
3) if want cheaper creative lighting option, d700
4) if need 17mm tse lens, 5dmkll
5) if need good video, 5dmkll

Ditto.

Status
Not open for further replies.