Canon 580II flash

ctxx83

Nov 29, 2010
Hi fellow CSers, i was about to buy a 580II flash, however i understand that the bulb of the flash will spoil at a point of time if the flash is use extensively. How much is the cost of replacing the bulb of the flash and would it be wiser to buy a nissin flash instead?

Bulb for 580EX II around S$100, but to be honest it last quite long enough.. Since 2008 I have used mine very frequent (never use for strobo though) and all my 580EX II bulb still working fine.

The bulbs can last really really long...don't have to worry :)

It's made to last so no worries. Can last 1 or 2 years easily.

Why would it be wiser to buy Nissin? Do you mean it can last longer than Canon?
It should probably lasts longer than one change camera bodies :)

All electronic stuffs eventually will spoil one day... but at least, canon give you 12 months warranty (+3 months if registered online?)...

anyway, no need to worry so much, just go to the shop and hoot!

It is likely that other parts will malfunction before the bulb.
Or maybe buy a second hand 580 mk I. I think can get it for about $300. If bulb spoil not so heart pain.

Average flash tube generally have a lifespan of about 3-5k shots, after which the flash power will slowly deterioate but it will not stop flashing completely. If budget allows, go for the 580mkII

Just go for the top of the line, you would eventually upgrade to it , so why not if you have the moolah now, mine's been working fine since 2008 also :)