Canon 550D or 50D

hehe i know what you mean. I've also considered that as well. But when it comes to actually doing it, i dont think i can bear to part with my 50D:lovegrin:

lol i doubt i'd change too. like very waste of money to change...500D to 550D makes sense. but 50D to 550D...man, i paid $1650 for the body! like very heartache if i sell it off now and be only able to buy a rebel. the plus point is, i get the latest body...but so? i can't stand the plastic, i think i'll stay away from buying another camera now. haha!

It does seem like a downgrade. From a semi pro to a beginner class. But then again, the gaps between classes are getting thin.

yeah the line is thin but only on the surface. ie. correct me if i'm wrong...xxD is able to focus faster than a xxxD. and for events...that is quite critical. i dunno about u. even if i'm given a 500D i wld still be able to do a wedding or event because its adequate, maybe its irritating and slow, but adequate.

Hi, 550D will be shipped on 24-02-2010

actually i like the xxxD size and weight leh... so versatile and easy to bring ard.. hehehe..

Hi, 550D will be shipped on 24-02-2010

Wow that's good news if source is reliable..

Canon Japan launching only on the 26 Feb 2010...

:think:

24th Feb is North America release

Thanks for all the inputs.

I guess the 550D will be out soon in Asia. I think its safe to say it will be out in the next 2 months?

Pardon my ignorance but is it really a big deal if its a plastic casing/ feel than the metal? Besides the weight, of course.

I'm relatively a big guy so weight is not much of a problem. :)

Do we have already an existing poll on what people prefer more, the 550D or the 50D?

Thanks for all the inputs.

I guess the 550D will be out soon in Asia. I think its safe to say it will be out in the next 2 months?

Pardon my ignorance but is it really a big deal if its a plastic casing/ feel than the metal? Besides the weight, of course.

I'm relatively a big guy so weight is not much of a problem. :)

Do we have already an existing poll on what people prefer more, the 550D or the 50D?
"feel" is very subjective but you have to hold one in your hands to understand what its like.

I fly radio control helicopters as well and the transmitters we use are as expensive as semi-pro/pro DSLRs. I shan't go too much into details but there are 2 transmitters in particular that have almost identical features/functions/appearance but the primary difference is the body's construction/materials(and price of course).

I myself as well as other buddies opted for the cheaper option, but when we actually tried the other better-built transmitter from our friends...HOLY COW! The way i usually describe it "its like putting your hands around the waist of a typical average girl and comparing it with the same experience of putting it around a sexy supermodel...you'll fall in love instantly"

You start telling yourself that you shd have spent the extra 1k just for that better feel in your hands.

haha.. what a comparison.. from RC to hugging a gal...

some like feel, some like result... so up to u what is important also la but i hv to say, feel important to me too :)

a xxD series always feels better to handle and has more accessibility to its controls compared to a xxxD series... i believe IQ wise, functions wise, 550D may be top of the crop however nothings beats the feel of using a xxD series imo...

i believe 550D wont be too noob for any photographers out there, it will only be noob photographers blaming their cam wont work...

oh man...IQ is very important to me. and i like the XXXD's size. very good to bring about without scaring ppl but still give me wad i want. currently im on a 50D...went down to canon vivo to try out the 500D...the feel is so different. 50D is so much more comfortable. but then again, 550D + BG shld be able to compensate that? maybe not. the 50D is magnesium alloy and solid. what i go for is IQ + ability to last for another 3/4 more yrs. u guys think a 550D is up to that?

Since u say that ur a hobbyist, in the end it comes down to affordability.

If u have more to spend, get a 50D and a handycam/camcorder.

Dedicated equipment for still shots and video will definitely yield better results.

But if ur on a tighter budget, by all means go for the 550D.

As we always say, You Can Have the Best of Both Worlds. ;)

I using D90 video now, my camcorder i think down 75% usage ... haha.. the DOF effect on video is just too nice esp with a f1.8 lens

I using D90 video now, my camcorder i think down 75% usage ... haha.. the DOF effect on video is just too nice esp with a f1.8 lens

ah now u make me wanna experiment with video on my f1.8....

try it ... its really like those u see in movies.. and MF is quite fun too.

now im juz asking myself if a switch from 50D to 550D is worth it.

Hi,

I have the 5D2 + 500D. Used to have the 20D but sold it off recently.

Comments about the 500D (would apply to 550D as well):
a) Small size & light weight are great for portability.
b) AF is ok in bright light, but hunts in low-contrast/dim lighting conditions.
c) I miss the 20D's controls. Switching AF point on the 500D is a pain.
d) I don't find the 500D's video mode to be that usable -- AF is VERY slow. I much prefer using my HF200 (it's a SD-card based HD camcorder). No mike-in (but this will be in the 550D).

It all depends on what matters to you. The 500D is easy to bring around and cheap these days (many sellers on clubsnap). The 50D would be faster but heavier. As for the video function, if you're a casual shooter like me, you're better off with a separate camcorder.

"feel" is very subjective but you have to hold one in your hands to understand what its like.

I fly radio control helicopters as well and the transmitters we use are as expensive as semi-pro/pro DSLRs. I shan't go too much into details but there are 2 transmitters in particular that have almost identical features/functions/appearance but the primary difference is the body's construction/materials(and price of course).

I myself as well as other buddies opted for the cheaper option, but when we actually tried the other better-built transmitter from our friends...HOLY COW! The way i usually describe it "its like putting your hands around the waist of a typical average girl and comparing it with the same experience of putting it around a sexy supermodel...you'll fall in love instantly"

You start telling yourself that you shd have spent the extra 1k just for that better feel in your hands.

I loved it how you compared it to holding a supermodel's sexy waist. Haha. If I were in that situation, I wouldn't let go anymore. Lol!