Canon 28-135mm on 1.6 crop + 1.4 extender - for birding!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunbird

Nov 1, 2005
Hi,

Does the above combination make the 28-135 mm into a super telephoto??

abt 300mm at 135 mm limit.

Has anyone tried this combination before? How's the IQ? I am thinking of birding photography.

Thanks for any comment

Hi,

Does the above combination make the 28-135 mm into a super telephoto??

abt 300mm at 135 mm limit.

Has anyone tried this combination before? How's the IQ? I am thinking of birding photography.

Thanks for any comment

usually, pple would need at least a 400mm for birding unless your bird is a very tame bird. A lot of time, 500mm is also not enough....

Not enough zoom bro.
Tamer ones like pigeons, mynahs, you can get close enough la.
If you aiming for sunbirds, kingfishers, pacific swallows etc, .... no chance man.
I just tried with my 70-200 + 1.4tc last weekend. Not enough too :bsmilie:

Not enough zoom bro.
Tamer ones like pigeons, mynahs, you can get close enough la.
If you aiming for sunbirds, kingfishers, pacific swallows etc, .... no chance man.
I just tried with my 70-200 + 1.4tc last weekend. Not enough too :bsmilie:

just to check , " not enough " as in to fill the frame??:think: ...me trying out some birding too...will get a 2x for my 80-200...wonder how will the pic turn out;)

just to check , " not enough " as in to fill the frame??:think: ...me trying out some birding too...will get a 2x for my 80-200...wonder how will the pic turn out;)

It'll allow you to fill the frame, for tame birds :think:

for wild ones, think you need a ghille suit too :bsmilie:

OT:
Rant rant rant. Kenko TCs can't AF on my Sigma T.T

Ya lor. Not enough to even fill 1/3 of the frame.
A few of my low quality shots here after cropping.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bn_dck/sets/72157610846449514/
Cant even come close to those posted in the wildlife subforum.

Ya lor. Not enough to even fill 1/3 of the frame.
A few of my low quality shots here after cropping.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bn_dck/sets/72157610846449514/
Cant even come close to those posted in the wildlife subforum.

not that bad lah, you got some great moment ,must have waited for some time for the moment to come . . ;) understand birding is real difficult ...can't wait to lay my hand on some bird ...hahahahaha

Btw how far are you from the bird???:think:

Last edited:
hi,

I was at SB on mon. I was thinking maybe with max zoom with 1.4x may be able to shoot the shorebird from the hide.

The other possibility is to be at Botanic. Have to position oneself at the max zoom distance from the flowers.

bend1ck, was your shot taken with a 28-135mm with extender. Thot IQ not too bad for the this kind of cheap setup lah.

I have went to both SBWR and Botanic Gardens. 28-135MM with 1.4x is definitely no enough for SBWR, need shoot in RAW and crop all the pictures. For Botanic Gardens, your setup still can try shooting sunbirds. But have to be more patience for them to fly near you.

not that bad lah, you got some great moment ,must have waited for some time for the moment to come . . ;) understand birding is real difficult ...can't wait to lay my hand on some bird ...hahahahaha

Btw how far are you from the bird???:think:

The moments were great. But image quality :thumbsd: hahaha.
Cant rem how far, maybe around 30m or so?

hi,
bend1ck, was your shot taken with a 28-135mm with extender. Thot IQ not too bad for the this kind of cheap setup lah.

70-200 with extender, and the images only like that only. Fail. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.